Hello Tello Pilot!
Join our DJI Tello community & remove this banner.

Scratch doesnt control the Tello for all commands?

droneworx

Reaction score
So im by no means a IT type guy, just that disclaimer. But I downloaded Scratch, and followed the youtube videos, and used one of my tellos strictly for programming flights, because it seems fun. I can get the drone to take off, and land, thats about it, so I know its connected and accepting commands, but It seems like it doesnt want to follow any commands, CW or CCW or fly forward, backward, etc., except take off and land.

Any ideas?

Bugs in the firmware according to another post, presumably a fix is on the way. The programmatic support seems rather slapdash at this point.

thanks, I chatted with Ryze tech support this morning, and they confirmed that this is a known issue. They described it exactly as I see it which is other than take off and landing, the console responds with "ok" that its sent the command and the drone is responding that it has completed it so it can move onto the next instruction, and its simply failing to do it. They said they "are working on it" now and will have a new firmware out "shortly". so for now, programming seems to be not working.

v01.03.01.03 is the latest update and the version listed as the latest firmware in our app.
Support states the following version is available for download.
We have tried multiple devices and v01.03.18.01 is not available for download in US on IOS at this moment?

my issue is that when I start up the app it says "there is an update" when I click update it just says "Latest firmware". so its not downloading the firmware update.

my issue is that when I start up the app it says "there is an update" when I click update it just says "Latest firmware". so its not downloading the firmware update.

ok disregard, im just an idiot... lol I was still connected tot he drones wifi..

So can scratch do more than take off and land? I'd like to learn some of the programing to fly in my school and possibly teach some students to do the same.

I'm looking at "Tello.js" from the scratch download on the Ryze site and I don't see any command to take a picture :/

The underlying API is very limited. It looks like it was thrown together in haste.

I e-mailed Ryze to ask if there were any plans to make more functionality available - I was told not at this time.

With the firmware update I could use scratch to takeoff, land, rotate, go up, down, righ, left and flip (all the scratch commands). Still, more commands would be appreciated.

Tomorrow I'll try the python script which is supposed to have more functionalities (like : getting battery info)

Reactions: LPgeoteacher
With scratch, you can take off, land, fly up, down, left, right, forward, backward, rotate, flip and set a speed. Other than take a photo, what else would you want to do?

With scratch, you can take off, land, fly up, down, left, right, forward, backward, rotate, flip and set a speed. Other than take a photo, what else would you want to do?
Call me picky but I'd like to snap pictures or possibly use visual flight cues. Maybe this is in the works for the next couple of updates.

Pictures, video, bounce , circle and up-up and away modes, sensor data including height, position, velocity and aircraft orientation, signal strength, battery level, aircraft and camera configuration. I could go on.

Pictures, video, bounce , circle and up-up and away modes, sensor data including height, position, velocity and aircraft orientation, signal strength, battery level, aircraft and camera configuration. I could go on.

Sensor data? orientation? signal strength? battery strength??? what? your sending commands to the drone to complete actions, not having it make intelligent transit decisions based on its own perception of feedback data?? other than the command to "take picture" and maybe a flight mode like up and away, everything else is superfluous and not needed.

its a 100 dollar drone, not a MQ1

How about programming it to follow you as a pet? Or to avoid obstacles? Or follow a road?
There are tons of cool stuff that you could do if you have access to the video in real time, which by the way is already being sent to the app!

How about programming it to follow you as a pet? Or to avoid obstacles? Or follow a road?
There are tons of cool stuff that you could do if you have access to the video in real time, which by the way is already being sent to the app!

it doesnt have active track type tech in it, so this is likely not possible, it only has sensors pointed down, so it has no way of avoiding obstacles... Again, 100 dollars, not a Mavic or Phantom...

You miss the point. The fun is in programming it to avoid stuff using only video as a sensor. Kids have been programming LEGO cars to do this kind of stuff for ages ...

Check this video :

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Repiv