Hello Tello Pilot!
Join our DJI Tello community & remove this banner.

SDK 3.0 for Tello EDU

Mike Shock

Reaction score
Last edited:
Reactions: robagar
I like the "motoron" / "motoroff" commads - they're good for cooling the drone when it's on the ground while I'm testing a program.
:cool:

Last edited:
I like the "motoron" / "motoroff" commads - they're good for cooling the drone when it's on the ground while I'm testing a program.
:cool:
Newbie here, I just started using djitellopy to learn how to program this drone. Outside of the new motor commands am I missing out of any new commands by not using the official sdk?

Newbie here, I just started using djitellopy to learn how to program this drone. Outside of the new motor commands am I missing out of any new commands by not using the official sdk?
I think, only commands of the SDK 2.0 are implemented as methods in the DJITelloPy package. But it has a method 'send_command_with_return(str)'. With its help, you can send to your drone any command of the SDK 3.0.
For example: tello.send_command_with_return("motoron") or tello.send_command_with_return("reboot").
But you should have the v02.05.01.17 firmware version in your Tello EDU/Talent to execute SDK 3.0 commands.

I think, only commands of the SDK 2.0 are implemented as methods in the DJITelloPy package. But it has a method 'send_command_with_return(str)'. With its help, you can send to your drone any command of the SDK 3.0.
For example: tello.send_command_with_return("motoron") or tello.send_command_with_return("reboot").
But you should have the v02.05.01.17 firmware version in your Tello EDU/Talent to execute SDK 3.0 commands.
Thank you! I did not know of that command.

New SDK 3.0 commands for controlling the drone:
COMMAND RESULT # DESCRIPTION
hardware? "TELLO" | "RMTT" # Is external controller connected?
motoroff "ok" | "error" # Turns off the motors.
motoron "ok" | "error" # Turns on the motors.
port INFO_PORT VIDEO_PORT "ok" | "error" # Sets the ports for info & video.
reboot No response (success)/error # Reboots the drone.
setbitrate 0|1|2|3|4|5 "ok" | "error" # auto|1Mbps|2MBps|3Mbps|4Mbps|5Mbps
setfps high|middle|low "ok" | "error" # Sets framerate to 30fps|15fps|5fps
setresolution high|low "ok" | "error" # Sets resolution to 720P|480P
ssid? In STA mode: factory default SSID; in AP mode: user-defined SSID & password
throwfly
"ok" | "error" # Throw the drone horizontally within 5s of sending the command.

Plus a bunch of commands for controlling an external RMTT controller (based on ESP32):
ap? AP name & password | "unknown command: ap?" # if RMTT | if TELLO
multiwifi SSID PASSWORD "ok" | "error" # Set the SSID & password of the external controller.
wifisetchannel RMTT_CHANNEL "ok" | "error" # Set the Wi-Fi channel of the open-source controller
wifiversion? "wifivx.x.x.x" | "unknown command: wifiversion?" # if RMTT | if TELLO
. . .
(details in SDK 3.0 User Guide)

Last edited:
Hey,

im the current maintainer of djitellopy.
This sounds very interesting. One major issue with the old EDU firmware had was not being able to stream video while in wifi station mode. I.e. when flying a swarm of drones having them all connected to one wifi AP it was not possible to stream video. Maybe this is now possible with the new `port info vedio` command? I will have to do further investigations.

Apart from that most of the new stuff seems to be robomaster tello talent related.

Has anonye figured out how to use the command 'wifisetchannel xxx' for 5 Ghz Wifi, or whether it is possible to set the Tellomaster to 5ghz with it?
It is working fine for 2.4 Ghz but since there are only 14 channels at 2.4 ghz I would assume this command should be compatible with setting 5 ghz wifi as well. (Otherwise a placeholder for 3 digits would not make any sense for me)

Oh, and has anonye tried sending a video stream while being in Access Point Mode (by using the command 'port info vedio')? It would be amazing if the drone is finally capable of transmitting video through a Router.

I've upgraded my Tello EDU to the firmware v02.05.01.17 (released 2021-05-18) and found out that now it reports that the version of the SDK is 3.0. Some new interesting and useful commands are available now not only for Tello Talent, but for Tello EDU as well.
You may read about them in the manual: https://dl.djicdn.com/downloads/RoboMaster+TT/Tello_SDK_3.0_User_Guide_en.pdf
I've tried some of them using the Tello gem for the Ruby programming language.
This is fantastic, just hat I was looking for.

Do you have to use python for this? Can you use scratch? Might make it easier for my class.
You can use any language that has a library to send commands (text strings) via Wi-Fi by UDP protocol.
Scratch and Python are among them.
There's a DJI supported educational IDE, called "Mind+": RoboMaster TT - MindPlus wiki . You can download it from here: download
Maybe you'll find it useful...

Last edited:
Reactions: gotdrone
Thanks for your sharing! I am new to tello programming. I want to know, can tello do a flip_backward when I call this function in djitellopy.py ( I use the normal tello, not edu and not talent )

I try to make a tello flip in this code, but failed:

tello = tello.Tello()
tello.connect()
tello.takeoff()
tello.flip_backward()

I am very appreciate that if you can answer my question, thanks a lot!

Thanks for your sharing! I am new to tello programming. I want to know, can tello do a flip_backward when I call this function in djitellopy.py ( I use the normal tello, not edu and not talent )

tello = tello.Tello()
tello.connect()
tello.takeoff()
tello.flip_backward()

I'll try to do this with my Tello. It should work with all variants (T, TEdu, THero, TTalent). I only know that flips are not performed when the battery is low.

Reactions: nkzo
I'll try to do this with my Tello. It should work with all variants (T, TEdu, THero, TTalent). I only know that flips are not performed when the battery is low.
hello, here I have a news for you, finally we found that it's the floor which is too black and no pattern on it, after we just put some posters on the floor, it worked!
thank you ~~

tello = tello.Tello()
tello.connect()
tello.takeoff()
tello.flip_backward()

This code works well:

tello = tello.Tello()
tello.connect()
tello.takeoff()
tello.flip_back() # the right name of the method, NOT flip_backward()
tello.land()

There's also a flip(direction) method that takes a one-character parameter: 'l', 'r', 'f', 'b' (as described in the SDK manual).

Last edited:

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Repiv