Hello Tello Pilot!
Join our DJI Tello community & remove this banner.

SDK 3.0 for Tello EDU

Looks like some kind of "Fake". What i found so far ist when watching RMTT booting up in my Phone, is that sometimes at first the Wifi of the RMTT is called " WICED soft AP" for some seconds, than turnes into RMTT-XXXX

Overall very frustrating for me is that there seems absolutly no Help to find :-(
I managed to change the Wifichannel via "Tello EDU App" on 3 Drones. But 2x later, the Wifichannel was back as 165 :-(
At first i thought about a hardware related problem, but now i´m not sure anymore.

So frustrating, after buyint 2 Original RMTT units in addition to my converted Tello EDUs. almost 600€ for 4 pieces of Hightech Junk :-(

I got my DJI Robomaster TT Extension Kit for my Tello EDU and began to test it. When you attach the module to Tello it switches to the Wi-Fi of the RMTT with the frequency of 5GHz and the corresponding channels. First I couldn't connect to it because my smartphone supports only 2.4GHz. Then I used another phone, connected to RMTT and in the Tello EDU App changed the Wi-Fi channel to one in the 2.4Ghz range. Now I can easily connect to it.

Yes, meanwhile I tried it:

The downward facing camera provides a gray level image with a resolution of 320x240 pixels. It seems to be a camera without IR blocking filter, so that it get's supported by the IR LED of the bottom distance sensor. Pretty amazing, what technology package you get with this little drone.

You can ignore the fps indicator in the video as it only measures the frame rate of a pose detection that is running on top of the video stream in my example.
ffplay recognizes the stream from the downward camera as H264 320x240 @ 25 fps.

I've upgraded my Tello EDU to the firmware v02.05.01.17 (released 2021-05-18) and found out that now it reports that the version of the SDK is 3.0. Some new interesting and useful commands are available now not only for Tello Talent, but for Tello EDU as well.
You may read about them in the manual: https://dl.djicdn.com/downloads/RoboMaster+TT/Tello_SDK_3.0_User_Guide_en.pdf
I've tried some of them using the Tello gem for the Ruby programming language.
Hello,

I am interested in knowing how to upgrade my Tello EDU to the latest firmware. I am also using the Tello gem for controlling my drones and would like to collaborate if possible.

I've upgraded my Tello EDU to the firmware v02.05.01.17 (released 2021-05-18) and found out that now it reports that the version of the SDK is 3.0. Some new interesting and useful commands are available now not only for Tello Talent, but for Tello EDU as well.
You may read about them in the manual: https://dl.djicdn.com/downloads/RoboMaster+TT/Tello_SDK_3.0_User_Guide_en.pdf
I've tried some of them using the Tello gem for the Ruby programming language.
Hello, how do you find out the version of the Firmware for Tello EDU?

The downward facing camera provides a gray level image with a resolution of 320x240 pixels. It seems to be a camera without IR blocking filter, so that it get's supported by the IR LED of the bottom distance sensor. Pretty amazing, what technology package you get with this little drone.

You can ignore the fps indicator in the video as it only measures the frame rate of a pose detection that is running on top of the video stream in my example.
Is the down camera accessible only on the Tello Edu? I suppose I should be able to determine this from the firmware version (v02.05.01.17) requirement as above.

Is the down camera accessible only on the Tello Edu? I suppose I should be able to determine this from the firmware version (v02.05.01.17) requirement as above.

Yes, only Tellos that can be loaded with firmware v02.05.01.17 (Tello EDU and Tello Talent) provide access to downward facing camera available.

Hello,

I am interested in knowing how to upgrade my Tello EDU to the latest firmware. I am also using the Tello gem for controlling my drones and would like to collaborate if possible.
Yes, only Tellos that can be loaded with firmware v02.05.01.17 (Tello EDU and Tello Talent) provide access to downward facing camera available.
I upgraded my Tello TT to v02.05.01.17 and lost the wifi connection to both my laptop and PC (both have older network cards). The original tello app and Tello-FPV still connect.
Is this the 5G problem? It would be very strange that the wi-fi should switch from 2.4GHz to 5.8GHz as the result of a firmware upgrade, but I can't think of any other explanation or anything else to try. Does someone have a suggestion? Thanks.

I upgraded my Tello TT to v02.05.01.17 and lost the wifi connection to both my laptop and PC (both have older network cards). The original tello app and Tello-FPV still connect.
Is this the 5G problem? It would be very strange that the wi-fi should switch from 2.4GHz to 5.8GHz as the result of a firmware upgrade, but I can't think of any other explanation or anything else to try. Does someone have a suggestion? Thanks.
Hi. Please try something. Get a smartphone APP that shows WiFi channels like "WiFi Analyzer". Watch out for a network that looks like "RMTT-XXXX" If it is available it is highly possible that you find it on WiFi Channel 169. Thats the problem your PC/Laptop Wifi card is not able to find
your TT. Open your Tello EDU App, not the Tello App. Connect your drone. Go to Block Program Mode and make a program like "Press Start - Change Wifi Channel to "Something like 1-10". Run the program and restart. Now your "RMTT-XXXX" should be found on channel "Something like 1-10". Now your PC/Laptop should be able to find your drone. Note that your drone now runs on 2.4ghz. If that works for you try to switch to a 5ghz channel by setting the Wifichannel on the EDU Program to eg. 36. That worked for me. Keep us informed :)

Update: a wifi network ( ssid "TELLOxxxxxx") does appear if I remove the ESP32 open-source module and I can connect. So the problem appears to be related to it. Note: before I upgraded the firmware to the version mentioned above, I could connect ( ssid "RMTTxxxxxx") with the module in place.

Hi. Please try something. Get a smartphone APP that shows WiFi channels like "WiFi Analyzer". Watch out for a network that looks like "RMTT-XXXX" If it is available it is highly possible that you find it on WiFi Channel 169. Thats the problem your PC/Laptop Wifi card is not able to find
your TT. Open your Tello EDU App, not the Tello App. Connect your drone. Go to Block Program Mode and make a program like "Press Start - Change Wifi Channel to "Something like 1-10". Run the program and restart. Now your "RMTT-XXXX" should be found on channel "Something like 1-10". Now your PC/Laptop should be able to find your drone. Note that your drone now runs on 2.4ghz. If that works for you try to switch to a 5ghz channel by setting the Wifichannel on the EDU Program to eg. 36. That worked for me. Keep us informed :)
Thanks. I'll try that!

The Tello only has a 2.4 GHz WiFi module.

The RMTT expansion module has also a seperate 5 GHz module (the ESP32 also supports only 2.4 GHz). So you must find a way to configure the RMTT expansion using 2.4 GHz or a 5.GHz channel supported by your laptop. The approach described by @Darksmile should do the trick.

Thanks. I'll try that!
btw are you aware of this discussion Tello WIFI channel selection
Participants maybe interested in your method.

Thanks. I'll try that!
Yes thank you - worked a treat.

Reactions: Darksmile

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Repiv