Hello Tello Pilot!
Join our DJI Tello community & remove this banner.

So please clear me out from the gloom...if there even is a gloom

PaulPFH

Reaction score
Alright, so I have READ it to be true. Although, by just READING it, that isn’t ALWAYS the whole, full honest truth.

See, here is what I was wondering: if I were outside, and the air was blowing...not too hard...let’s say, at 15 to 20 MPH...and I decide to launch my Tello up into the air...what should I expect? See, I understand that the wind will be an OBVIOUS obstacle. But should I/would I just as soon, say goodbye to that Tello? Because of the wind, is it THAT obstructive that NOBODY allows any Tello up into the air? I’m just curious, now; so please, Tello pilots...do tell of your own tragedies that have happened to you? Thank you for taking the time to tell me of this.

See, here is what I was wondering: if I were outside, and the air was blowing...not too hard...let’s say, at 15 to 20 MPH...and I decide to launch my Tello up into the air...what should I expect?
You should expect to see your Tello zip off in the direction the wind is blowing. Tello will handle light winds but not 15 to 20 mph! I fly my Tello outside often but not in high winds, I'm hesitant to fly even my Phantom outside when the wind is 20+

do tell of your own tragedies that have happened to you? Thank you for taking the time to tell me of this.
I'm cautious of wind so I haven't had any tragedies, and don't plan to. It is funny though to hover under a ceiling fan on high power and watch it fight to stay in place hehe...

Last edited:
Okay. You’ve cleared that up for me. And I know of the way to detect when winds will be that powerful. I’ll just look at the digest of that day, in the paper, I guess. And any day that it just feels like the wind is just too gusty, I’ll keep my drone on the ground. This seems like a good idea, no?

Reactions: Kyle Knox
A newspaper weather forecast will give you a general idea of whether it's going to be a windy day or not, but the best way is to step outside... you'll know

Agree with @umanbean; high winds, say goodbye to your little Tello. Light winds, the Tello can put up a fight in Fast/Sports mode.

Much easier to switch modes via the TelloFPV app (via screen tap or controller mapping) vs the stock app which requires multiple steps to access the settings and adjusting the flight speed.

Last edited:
Reactions: umanbean
A newspaper weather forecast will give you a general idea of whether it's going to be a windy day or not, but the best way is to step outside... you'll know
Also check into a good weather app for your phone that can give you the wind speed. I use a few top check my immediate area, and the surrounding area.

I call BS on NOT flying Tello in wind. It takes a few things before you try though. Number 1 is experience flying your Tello for a few months (I would say). It simply just takes FOREVER to learn the way Tello behaves in each "situation" and why. There is NO OTHER WAY to learn the very strange idiosyncrasies of this drone.

One recommendation (a must in wind). Learn how to launch and land from your hand. When landing DO NOT use "hand land". Use regular landing and place your hand below Tello at the last second. Practice!!

You don't have to 'call BS', all you had to say was that you do it... and it's not something I would recommend to someone who is new to drones
Poor choice of words. I apologize. I just don't want new users to get discouraged with Tello. I live where there is almost always wind. Tello does great. I would almost never be able to fly otherwise. I lost 2 in wind learning the hard way.

I just don't want new users to get discouraged with Tello.
Understand.
I've always thought a lot of you, your attitude, and your opinions.
You've given lots of good advice to a lot of people here.
I just thought that comment was out of character... but maybe I shouldn't have called it out?

PaulPFH, I apologize for muddying up your thread!

I'll go away now........

Understand.
I've always thought a lot of you, your attitude, and your opinions.
You've given lots of good advice to a lot of people here.
I just thought that comment was out of character... but maybe I shouldn't have called it out?

PaulPFH, I apologize for muddying up your thread!

I'll go away now........
Ummm.

No comment.

This is what has worked for me when flying in fairly windy conditions for the Tello:
- Take the propeller guards off
- Use a Wifi extender
- Fly in “fast mode”
- Change the Attitude Angle to the maximum (25%)

Reactions: ZWActual
Someone just sent me a private message. Said a gust of wind just blew his tello away and now he can't find it.

No kidding.

Be careful out there

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
karlyan