Hello Tello Pilot!
Join our DJI Tello community & remove this banner.

Tello app crashes while loading after Android 11 update + connection issues with Tello FPV

jvangurp

Reaction score
Well this is a double whammy frustration day:
  1. Ever since yesterday’s Android 11 update I can’t get the Tello app to open. I tried it to test my brand new GameSir controller but no bueno... I uninstalled and cleared the cache and data and reinstalled it and it doesn’t even open. I just get the crash report popoup. I chatted with Ryze support and they just spewed the same crap about my Pixel 3 not being on the supported list of phones. I explained that it worked perfectly before but it’s like talking to a brick wall, they have this canned response and either don’t care or don’t have the tools to really pay attention to what I was stating.

2. I can’t get Tello FPV to recognize my GameSir T1s. Grrrrr.... it’s connected through my phone for sure but when I scan for it under the FPV settings menu it doesn’t pick it up at all. I tried not connecting through Android’s settings and letting FPV find it but it didn’t help. I tried setting the GameSir to XBox mode without success (otherwise I was using Android mode)
Any suggestions, hints or tips to help with either of these frustrating problems I’m experiencing?
Thank you!
John

Well this is a double whammy frustration day:
  1. Ever since yesterday’s Android 11 update I can’t get the Tello app to open. I tried it to test my brand new GameSir controller but no bueno... I uninstalled and cleared the cache and data and reinstalled it and it doesn’t even open. I just get the crash report popoup. I chatted with Ryze support and they just spewed the same crap about my Pixel 3 not being on the supported list of phones. I explained that it worked perfectly before but it’s like talking to a brick wall, they have this canned response and either don’t care or don’t have the tools to really pay attention to what I was stating.

2. I can’t get Tello FPV to recognize my GameSir T1s. Grrrrr.... it’s connected through my phone for sure but when I scan for it under the FPV settings menu it doesn’t pick it up at all. I tried not connecting through Android’s settings and letting FPV find it but it didn’t help. I tried setting the GameSir to XBox mode without success (otherwise I was using Android mode)
Any suggestions, hints or tips to help with either of these frustrating problems I’m experiencing?
Thank you!
John
Can you make the gamesir work in this tester:

Are the sticks proportional?

If so the controller should work in TelloFpv as well. At least I haven't heard otherwise

Reactions: jvangurp
Can you make the gamesir work in this tester:

Are the sticks proportional?

If so the controller should work in TelloFpv as well. At least I haven't heard otherwise

Thanks!

I installed that app and yes the GameSir triggers all the appropriate signals. It's definitely communicating via Bluetooth. So I went back to my Bluetooth settings and forgot the GameSir, I powered down the GameSir and restarted it, retstarted FPV and pressed "Scan for T1D + Flypad" and... nothing. Is it a problem that mine's a T1S instead of a T1D? I read that the T1S is confirmed compatible with FPV.

T1D and T1S are very different. The T1S is recognized by Android as a standard gamepad (so android provides the input data to the app). The T1D is _not_ recognized as a gamepad, so the app has to communicate directly with it.

For the T1S you have to make it work in the gamepad tester app. Once it works (including proportional sticks) you know its connected OK.
Close the tester app and start TelloFpv. The app should display a notification, and include the gamepad in the "controller settings" page. Select the controller as "student controller" and you should be good to go

I did try the tester app including the joystick response, and I made sure that it wasn't already paired with my phone, and FPV still doesn't recognize it. I think the answer is to return it and get a t1d instead.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

Hello, why don't you try connecting the gamepad to the cell phone with an OTG cable before changing it. The T1s all say that it is better than the T1d because it allows the connection via OTG and BT (the T1d cannot connect via OTG).

Hola, por que no pruebas conectar el gamepad al celular con un cable OTG antes de cambiarlo. El T1s todos dicen que es mejor que el T1d porque justamente permite la coneccion via OTG (el T1d no puede conectarse via OTG).

Thanks Bob, I did indeed try a cable also without success. It's baffling and I'm out of ideas.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

I have the same problem. I got the DJI Tello as a gift this christmas and the Tello App from the Google Play store would not even launch. It crashed immediately on tapping the app.

I have a Google Pixel 3a with Android 11. It is kinda frustrating to think that the company couldn't care less to fix that issue --- the last time the app was updated was a whole year ago in 2019 (December).

How are other Android 11 phone owners flying their drone?

Reactions: Dialero
I have the same problem. I got the DJI Tello as a gift this christmas and the Tello App from the Google Play store would not even launch. It crashed immediately on tapping the app.

I have a Google Pixel 3a with Android 11. It is kinda frustrating to think that the company couldn't care less to fix that issue --- the last time the app was updated was a whole year ago in 2019 (December).

How are other Android 11 phone owners flying their drone?
Hi there,
I have the same problem with my Samsung S20+. The app worked perfectly when it had the Android 10 OS but when I updated it to Android 11 last week, the app crashes and doesn't even open. What's worse than that is how this company hasn't even updated the app in more than a year leaving thousands of customers hanging just relying on paid third party apps. Now I have to grab a piece of garbage of iPhone 6 that I have in a drawer for ages to fly my drone. :-/

well, when TelloFpv was created it was just an alternative to the original app.
But then it became apparent that Ryze does not have the resources to fix their app, or prepare it for new Android versions. So now often TelloFpv is the only way to fly the drone with Android.

The S20 is a special beast... Some regional versions of it just won't accept the video data packets coming from tello (seems to be related to Verizon branded S20 FE 5g models in the US so Verizon / Samsung has to fix this )

Reactions: Dialero
well, when TelloFpv was created it was just an alternative to the original app.
But then it became apparent that Ryze does not have the resources to fix their app, or prepare it for new Android versions. So now often TelloFpv is the only way to fly the drone with Android.

The S20 is a special beast... Some regional versions of it just won't accept the video data packets coming from tello (seems to be related to Verizon branded S20 FE 5g models in the US so Verizon / Samsung has to fix this )
Many thanks for your reply and comments. I will get the TelloFpv app shortly so once I do that, I'll let you know how it went, as also today, I received the T1d controller which I have to pair too.

Regards from Miami, Diego

Reactions: volate!lo
Frabjous day! Nice to know that I may have use for.one or more of my old phones once my Samsung A71 gets the Android 11 update. I have a collection of old junk phones...

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Repiv