Hello Tello Pilot!
Join our DJI Tello community & remove this banner.

Tello EDU upgrade to Robomaster TT?

gotdrone

Reaction score
Hi I did see this thread but it didn't seem to me to give a clear answer to my question:

Question is, can I buy the Robomaster TT Expansion kit and my Tello EDU will be a Robomaster TT using the 3.0 SDK?

This page says, "It can be used to upgrade TELLO EDU to RoboMaster TT."

I'm just not sure if there's any fine print missing, are there any capabilities of a TT that the EDU won't have with this kit?

For context, I bought the Tello EDU without doing enough research and didn't realize the Robomaster TT existed.

Thanks.

Last edited:
And I saw this but it's talking about upgrading a Tello, not a Tello EDU, hence the separate thread. Sorry if that was wrong, I'm a newb.

Also there's this thread, for completeness, it talks about getting the SDK 3.0 on a Tello EDU:

Last edited:
I will yr to be clearer. The Tello EDU is a standalone a purchased. Connect the. expansion kit and ir morphs into a Robomaster Tello talent as soon as connected, and back when the kit is disconnected It even get s new WiFi name with RMTT------. It is still hard to use with the kit. We recommenced using Mind+, as DFRobots have components that work well with this kit, such as infra red transmitters and receivers. Good English instructions. A steep learning curve is you do not use this software. I hope this helps some. it is still a very unique system to learn..

Reactions: gotdrone
Hey thanks, that's great, very helpful. Thanks for the tip on Mind+.

I'm coming at it from a CS / software standpoint and all these hardware options are amazing and intimidating.

Thanks for all your helpful posts.

EDIT: I see Mind+ has a Linux version, I love it already!

But it appears to be calling for a very specific Linux distro.

Last edited:
there is a great book on this Robomaster TT on Amazon. it is expansive and in Chinese., but well done probably better for educators. than hackers. bu tit answers a lot of questio0ns. Also it takes a month to get here. The pages can be scan and Microsoft will translate the text. It has a lot of demo codes as graphics, but in Chinese again. but most can be figured out by the input boxes. This is a truly amazing device especially with the backup components and code from DFRobots.

If you have updated the Tello EDU firmware to v02.05.01.17, it fully supports the RMTT expansion kit. The only difference then is the plastic top cover which has some "Lego style" knobs but I guess that the RMTT expansion kit comes with a replacement cover if you buy it seperately.

That is about right. The Lego style top replaces the Tello top-. The Lego top is a standard ego. I would have to look up the official naming, but they come in rows and columns by design. The Leoo block/brick top- is what holds the board on for flight, and serves as attackmen for other devices. Some Chinese teachers have designed attachment holders that can be 3D printed for other electronic components. You can find most of this at the teacher competition link at the bottom of the page on Mind= on the RMTT instructions. A very interesting concept on upgrade designs. It must be remembered that the Tello stays the same until the RMTT is plugged in to change it to an RMTT.. There is a good book published for the Chinese market on the RMTT. Problem is, it is expensive, in Chinses ( around $170 ) and slow to be delivered here. Well worth it for a university using micro-drones library. For those following the drones in the Ukraine war. The turnkey T3 drone with folding wings may now be sold to Japan and S. Korea to be used on ships, that are not aircraft carriers. Finally unmanned aircraft that should save lives of pilots;.

Thanks for all your answers, I guess the only difference between an upgraded EDU and an actual TT is the red props and guards, won't miss those.

I was effectively going to ask a new question here, will make a new post.

That sounds true. We happened to like the red color. Also oy orange Autel's. Many things that we use are colored coded.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Repiv