Hello Tello Pilot!
Join our DJI Tello community & remove this banner.

Tello flight from 7th floor (23 m. / 82 ft.)

vazmuten

Reaction score
Hello All :)

I just got my first Tello drone. I live on 7th floor at about 23 meters (82 ft) from the ground level. I successfully managed to fly Tello indoors but I’m very curious what will happen if I fly it out of my balcony.

Will it instantly try to descent to ground level and be unable to climb back to my balcony because of 10 meters (32 ft) height limit?

Or it will continue as if my balcony is at 0 level. What will happen in this case if I descend it to ground level? Will it show “-23 meters” and will be able to flight back to 0 meters?

Or something completely different will be expected?

Does any of you have practical experience with such a flight?

i use to take off from my balcony 10 meters above street level and fly another 30 meters high, 30 + 10 = 40 meters above street level

Reactions: vazmuten
Hello All :)

I just got my first Tello drone. I live on 7th floor at about 23 meters (82 ft) from the ground level. I successfully managed to fly Tello indoors but I’m very curious what will happen if I fly it out of my balcony.

Will it instantly try to descent to ground level and be unable to climb back to my balcony because of 10 meters (32 ft) height limit?

Or it will continue as if my balcony is at 0 level. What will happen in this case if I descend it to ground level? Will it show “-23 meters” and will be able to flight back to 0 meters?

Or something completely different will be expected?

Does any of you have practical experience with such a flight?

Hello! I don't think it's a good idea to fly your tello from your 7th floor balcony (unless you're sure its windless) but if you do tello will keep the altitude. If you fly down it will show -meters but it will be able to fly back up to you. ;) By the way, try to update your app and your tello firmware. Do that and you might be able to fly it to 30meters of altitude.

Reactions: vazmuten
I did it a few times successfully. Getting the Tello out of the balcony is an easy job but manoeuvring it back is sometimes very difficult and time consuming because around the tall buildings there is always a wind that appears from nowhere. I usually rise the drone up additional 10-15 meters (33-49 ft) above the balcony, rotate it a few times, take pictures and video and bring it back.

My latest flight was a complete disaster. I started the flight from 5th floor balcony of another building at about 15 meters (49 ft) above the ground. I rose the drone to its maximum altitude 30 meters (98 ft) and start taking 360 degree video. My mistake was that I totally ignored the strong wind warnings (pic1). As a result the wind moved the drone away and it started measuring its real altitude. The warning for high position (pic2) that initiated immediate landing was followed by sensors error (pic3) . Meanwhile the drone continued calculating its real altitude that was 46 meters (151 ft) (pic4). Strong wireless interference warning also followed. The good thing is that there is an option to stop the auto landing and I did it. My biggest mistake was that after the drone stopped at 20 meters (66 ft) above ground I erroneously set it down and completely lost WiFi connection because of the surrounding buildings. I had to bring it a little higher and navigate it back, but ... . Nevertheless I reviewed carefully my flight video and based on it luckily found Tello hovering above the ground a few buildings away.

Attachments

• 1_HighWind.png
    1_HighWind.png
    667.8 KB · Views: 44
  • 2_HighPosition.png
    2_HighPosition.png
    665 KB · Views: 43
  • 3_SensorError.png
    3_SensorError.png
    578.4 KB · Views: 43
  • 4_MaxAltitude_46m.png
    4_MaxAltitude_46m.png