Hello Tello Pilot!
Join our DJI Tello community & remove this banner.

Tello Iron Man better in Low Light than normal Tello

A healthy and successful 2021 to everyone

Here is another good Tello from 2018/12 see list in # 18, bought on ebay: 0TQDFCMEUB3Jxx

And so again a good one from the low serial number range, so it's worth buying an "old" one, I asked the buyer about the serial number before buying, it is in good condition and hums like a bee without the errors from # 18.

Actually, I also wanted to report on a new Tello EDU I had bought, it could possibly have a better vertical camera. Unfortunately, it disappeared at DHL, never got to me, so I'm still in some trouble now.

@volate!lo
Please post plus 2 digits / letters of the serial number of your good Tello 0TQDG??.
Lt. In my research, the change from good to bad is exactly in the 0TQDG range ...
0TQDG3xxx still good, 0TQDG5xxx bad.

Thanks and regards

As said I already tried to bring this up with support but they refuse to acknowledge that they changed anything.

I would love to raise this problem in the "Official Ryze Tello Owners" facebook group and tag the customer support user "Ryze Bess" to get some better answer from them...
but as an uninvited 3rd party developer I am DJI's guest in that group so have to be nice ?

Hi volate!lo,

I understand your point.
I had discussed exactly this problem with Ryze Robotics in March 2020 without success.

I'm not on Facebook and unfortunately I can't take care of that, Ryze Robotics should actually wake up the growing number of new Tello problems. They can be happy that you developed TelloFPV, thus have higher sales and should be grateful for every hint.

I wish you continued success

Thanks you!
Sadly Ryze doesn't see it that way. ?

Based on the Ryze app download figures on Play Store maybe 2-3% of the Tello owners downloaded my apps so hardly a sales boost for them.

@volate!lo

I was lucky, the seller wrote and the Tello from 2018/12 is in good condition, no scratches, no other signs of wear, the battery is still 100%. Soon the old ones will sell better than the new ones.
The ordered Tello EDU has still not arrived, the post office has gone, so far no replacement, no repayment from the dealer, I am angry about it.

Good luck to you, too

Last edited:
What is the procedure to check if a drone is affected by the issue or not? I have one still unused Tello as spare part with serial 0TQDG4xxx which seems to be in the range in which the potential change happened (0TQDG3xxx still good, 0TQDG5xxx bad.). I can try if this serial number is still good or already bad, to help to tighten the moment of the change if I know, what I have to look for.

I just ordered an Iron Man edition 0TQDG3

I have the feeling that G3 means produced 03/2019. At least this matched all three stickers I found where both serial number and manufacturing date were included.
It's said to be almost unused, we shall see.

There is another one for sale, a 0TQDG4 manufactured 04/2019 that is still in a sealed box

What is the procedure to check if a drone is affected by the issue or not? I have one still unused Tello as spare part with serial 0TQDG4xxx which seems to be in the range in which the potential change happened (0TQDG3xxx still good, 0TQDG5xxx bad.). I can try if this serial number is still good or already bad, to help to tighten the moment of the change if I know, what I have to look for.
If it works fine in " normal" artificial light conditions then the drone is good. If it constantly complains about low light and looses VPS its bad.
Hard to tell if you don't have a known good / bad one as reference.

Its easy for me to identify because I always fly in the exact same conditions (my office). All older ones always worked without _any_ problem and the more recent ones consistently fail in the exact same setting.

Hallo AnGo,

Nachricht von den schlechten Tellos:

Mit Ryze Tello App:
"Sichtposition nicht verfügbar umgehend landen"

Bei TelloFPV:
"VPS nicht aktiv"
„Kein Empfang von VPS Daten“

Die Guten kennen diese Botschaft nicht, die Guten bekommen gelegentlich die Botschaft:
"Wenig Licht, VPS ist ungenau", aber in den meisten Fällen fliegt der gute Tello immer noch stetig.

Freundliche Grüße

Last edited:
Reactions: AnGo
and i just ordered the Iron Man produced 04/2019 0TQDG4
At least I can buy drones on business money

Just tested the 0TQDG4HEUxxx spare drone in LED lights. Behavior is exactly like my oldest one with SN 0TQDF9xxx (Manufactured in 2018-09).
Both show a VPS warning about low lights at the same spots, but even then hold their position stable.
Means, 0TQDG4HEUxxx, Manufacturing Date 2019-04, is still a good one.

Reactions: Bruchpilot
From what I can see myguess is we have a patterns:

0TQDF9... F is 2018, 9 is September
0TQDFC.... F is 2018, C is December (c is the hexcode for 12)
0TQDG4....G is 2019, 4 is April
0TQDG3....G is 2019, 3 is March

Good Tellos:
The 2018 builds and the early 2019 builds:
0TQDF...
0TQDG1
0TQDG2
0TQDG3

unsure:
0TQDG4 and 0TQDG5, sometime between April and June 2019 they changed something in the VPS.

Bad ones:
Later 2019 builds: 0TQDG6
All with 0TQZ seem bad

I ordered a 0TQDG3 and 0TQDG4, both Iron man. We shall see in a few days how they fit into this.

Reactions: Bruchpilot
Not sure about a pattern. My Tello serial is

0TQZH3...

I have flown it a few times indoors and it seems fine, although the room I flew it in does have 2 x 150W tungsten suspended bulbs in translucent shades so is (as intended) probably brighter than many people's rooms.

Dears, I can give you as well my 2 cents about this topic and a new input that was maybe not identified yet by anybody:

I have 2 Tellos:
- Standard one with s/n 0TQZL2... (Production date 2020/3) -> I manage to fly under artificial light but the low light error shows up the whole time and the Tello drifts, somehow does mini jumps. Not nice
- Iron man version with s/n 0TQDG3... (Production date 2019/3) -> Super stable even with low light. Sometimes it gives the warning but it flies nicely anyway

I have just had a look to the camera below. The interesting thing in my case is (difficult to see, you might need good light and Lupe), that the lens of the Iron man one has somehow a chamfer surrounding it, while the one of the new Tello seems pretty flat. For me they just did Design to Cost after 1 year and looked for a cheaper supplier for the cameras...

I hope this helps. Interesting would be to know if the new Iron mans and EDU's have still the good old bottom camera or they went through the DTC process as well...

Last edited:
Dears, I can give you as well my 2 cents about this topic and a new input that was maybe not identified yet by anybody:

I have 2 Tellos:
- Standard one with s/n 0TQZL2... (Production date 2020/3) -> I manage to fly under artificial light but the low light error shows up the whole time and the Tello drifts, somehow does mini jumps. Not nice
- Iron man version with s/n 0TQDG3... (Production date 2019/3) -> Super stable even with low light. Sometimes it gives the warning but it flies nicely anyway

I have just had a look to the camera below. The interesting thing in my case is (difficult to see, you might need good light and Lupe), that the lens of the Iron man one has somehow a chamfer surrounding it, while the one of the new Tello seems pretty flat. For me they just did Design to Cost after 1 year and looked for a cheaper supplier for the cameras...

I hope this helps. Interesting would be to know if the new Iron mans and EDU's have still the good old bottom camera or they went through the DTC process as well...
I just checked, and can confirm that i have the same: Good ones have a chamfer around the bottom camera lens, the bad ones are flat.

Obviously a change in the camera hardware.

Can you post a picture of what you mean, showing the difference?

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Repiv