Hello Tello Pilot!
Join our DJI Tello community & remove this banner.

Tello Obstacle Avoidance (?)

Avellas

Reaction score
Has anyone had a good look at the diagram that is in the Tello manual or on the Tello advertisement on the Ryze Robotics web site?

If you look closely you will see a “Collision Detection” label description on the Tello diagram.

I’ve attached a screenshot of this diagram and circled it in blue.

Does anyone have any idea as to what Ryze is referring to?

Attachments

• B75C0383-FB77-49A4-9BC8-A46B38417802.jpeg
    B75C0383-FB77-49A4-9BC8-A46B38417802.jpeg
    259.1 KB · Views: 72
When I fly indoors and bump into a wall or chair, I can see the drone react by backing up a little and regaining its balance. That's probably what its referring to..

Looking at the photo, it looks like it’s pointing to the motor. The other day I was flying the Tello outside without the prop guards on in “fast” mode. While flying around, sort of carelessly, I got the drone into a tight space right next to a trailer with a hinged gate that folds up and one of the propellers made contact with the gate, it immediately cut out all power to the motors and only one prop was damaged (tip cracked off) and it fell about a foot or so on to the trailer. I thought both props on the side that hit would be hurt, but I think it must have cut power instantly saving the rest of the props. I wonder if motor resistance is monitored on board the drone?

Reactions: TELLO👋
From what ive noticed if it bumps a wall (collision) it (detects) the bump and will try and back away (sometimes backing into another wall) and try to regain its self. It could be better ,but it could be worse.

Has anyone had a good look at the diagram that is in the Tello manual or on the Tello advertisement on the Ryze Robotics web site?

If you look closely you will see a “Collision Detection” label description on the Tello diagram.

I’ve attached a screenshot of this diagram and circled it in blue.

Does anyone have any idea as to what Ryze is referring to?
I don't think it's obstacle avoidance, like some of DJI's other drones. I've experimented with the Tello to see if it will try to avoid an obstacle. As near as I can tell, it doesn't. It DOES however shut itself down immediately if the IMU detects a sudden, unusual movement. Whether that's a good idea depends upon the situation the drone is in. The first day I had the drone I crashed it, and two of the props were sling-shotted (is that a word?) across the room. Without thinking, I put them back on without checking to see if I had each prop on the correct motor. I didn't. When the drone started to take off on the next flight, it lifted on one side to about 45 degrees. As soon as the IMU detected that unusual motion, it shut off all the motors. A little muttering, then a forehead slap, and I got it straightened out. The Tello will recover from minor collisions and keep flying, but if you have a good hard hit, it shuts down. So far, I've been flying with the prop guards on (I know how I am), which help a great deal. I've managed to put a divot in one prop, even so, which makes the prop significantly louder, but there's no other apparent effect.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Repiv