Hello Tello Pilot!
Join our DJI Tello community & remove this banner.

Tello spins on axis uncontrollably

Mcf3695

Reaction score
Tello spins on axis uncontrollably after calibration and few minutes into flight.
Battery is fully charged, software is updated, pinhole on bottom is clear, no motor or prop issue.

Mainly fly inside of house.. so I’m not doing anything crazy with it for know.

Can anyone help or know is someone that can repair.
Thank you

Are you using a controller or phone only?
Which flight app are you using?
When you say uncontrollably, do you have any control at all? up down left right?
Have you updated FW lately?

I've read some posts here lately that say squirrely flight issues were solved by the latest firmware update. I haven't done the update and don't plan to, mine flies and hovers fine.

Good luck, hope you get it solved quick (and cheap lol)

Spins with BT controller and phone tello app.
It rotates uncontrollably in one spot. I have control of up and down and able to land with land function..

Hard crash impact directly on even a new motor, while the motor is spinning, can cut its life short. Just a thought. I was challenged the first time i found myself troubleshooting eol motors. The symptoms were very similar to a variety of other issues. Finally replaced motors and was flying like new.

After a few minutes of attempted flight, check to see if any of the motors are hot, or hotter than the others. Good luck!

Reactions: CaptK
Tello spins on axis uncontrollably after calibration and few minutes into flight.
Battery is fully charged, software is updated, pinhole on bottom is clear, no motor or prop issue.

Mainly fly inside of house.. so I’m not doing anything crazy with it for know.

Can anyone help or know is someone that can repair.
Thank you

Any progress yet? Did it spin always or occasionally?

I experienced the same and was about to write a new post, then I found this one.

I have seen it twice, on about the same outdoor location where I suspect electromagnetic disturbance.
Tello did not lose elevation and reacted to up/down stick commands and to a "land" command. Luckily it was only a spin and Tello stayed where it was.

First time, a friend's Tello. Took off normally and after a few seconds Tello started to spin. He just waited and after a few rotations Tello flew normal again.
The flight was a bit shakey, though.
My Tello flew without spinning, but with noticable disturbances.

Today the same happened to my Tello when I tried the onboard Raspberry Pi (see Onboard Raspberry Pi ).
The phone was connected to Tello. The PC and the Raspberry were connected to a small portable router.
This additional WLAN can cause additional disturbance.
I landed, tried again, again the same. After a few tries, Tello flew normal again, but shakey. There was a little bit of wind and the vertically mounted PCB makes it more prone to wind.

I do not suspect a mechanical problem (but I didn't try it since the last flight).
I flew with a Gamesir controller, my friend flew with the phone controls.

Any progress yet? Did it spin always or occasionally?

I experienced the same and was about to write a new post, then I found this one.

I have seen it twice, on about the same outdoor location where I suspect electromagnetic disturbance.
Tello did not lose elevation and reacted to up/down stick commands and to a "land" command. Luckily it was only a spin and Tello stayed where it was.

First time, a friend's Tello. Took off normally and after a few seconds Tello started to spin. He just waited and after a few rotations Tello flew normal again.
The flight was a bit shakey, though.
My Tello flew without spinning, but with noticable disturbances.

Today the same happened to my Tello when I tried the onboard Raspberry Pi (see Onboard Raspberry Pi ).
The phone was connected to Tello. The PC and the Raspberry were connected to a small portable router.
This additional WLAN can cause additional disturbance.
I landed, tried again, again the same. After a few tries, Tello flew normal again, but shakey. There was a little bit of wind and the vertically mounted PCB makes it more prone to wind.

I do not suspect a mechanical problem (but I didn't try it since the last flight).
I flew with a Gamesir controller, my friend flew with the phone controls.
Your situation certainly seems to suggest interference. Without researching to wrap my head around your exact setup, I can say that using xiaomi(?) wifi repeater between phone and Tello can help overcome interference in noisy environments. Where it may give you extended range in an RF quiet environment, it may get you near standard range in a noisy environment. It's not a perfect solution to RF noise. Eliminate what is in your control (see next paragraph,) and tune according to environment. Use an app to see what wifi channels are in use by the pi, tello, and ambient. Move your devices to the most open bands/channels.

Bluetooth is not helping you here, might be just enough to put you beyond the edge of control, and I don't recommend using at all, in any conditions, even if you don't think it's a problem because one day, it will be, invariably. Turn off the BT on every device you have control over, when flying tello. I acquired many, many hours flying with an xbox one gamepad over Bluetooth. When it works, it is lovely, but you're asking for (not so) mysterious troubles, and eventually a full on fly off (I've a video of mine posted here somewhere, cleared the huge pond thankfully.) Get yourself an OTG compatible controller and appropriate OTG cable. In my experience, the only thing that topped the xbox controller over OTG (solid feel/reliable/no rf noise,) was configuring a FrSky Taranis X-Lite + OTG cable + TelloFPV app. Can't beat the control resolution of actual RC gimbals. And FWIW, I strictly used TelloFPV.

If you experience this behavior regardless of rf noise in the area, as mentioned above, check your motors for excessive heat after a short hover. The hot ones are toast. I replace all motors when the time comes. Never seen blades cause this issue. Wrong blades/placed blades will cause an immediate flip/crash upon take off. All four wrong, the right way, may cause a spin up that pins it to ground. I only ever screwed up mounting props 1-2 at a time. I've been building/flying race/freestlye quads and it can be downright scary/startling to make this mistake. Tello will catch you off guard too, esp hand launch..

Reactions: martinpi
Your situation certainly seems to suggest interference. Without researching to wrap my head around your exact setup, I can say that using xiaomi(?) wifi repeater between phone and Tello can help overcome interference in noisy environments. Where it may give you extended range in an RF quiet environment, it may get you near standard range in a noisy environment. It's not a perfect solution to RF noise. Eliminate what is in your control (see next paragraph,) and tune according to environment. Use an app to see what wifi channels are in use by the pi, tello, and ambient. Move your devices to the most open bands/channels.

Bluetooth is not helping you here, might be just enough to put you beyond the edge of control, and I don't recommend using at all, in any conditions, even if you don't think it's a problem because one day, it will be, invariably. Turn off the BT on every device you have control over, when flying tello. I acquired many, many hours flying with an xbox one gamepad over Bluetooth. When it works, it is lovely, but you're asking for (not so) mysterious troubles, and eventually a full on fly off (I've a video of mine posted here somewhere, cleared the huge pond thankfully.) Get yourself an OTG compatible controller and appropriate OTG cable. In my experience, the only thing that topped the xbox controller over OTG (solid feel/reliable/no rf noise,) was configuring a FrSky Taranis X-Lite + OTG cable + TelloFPV app. Can't beat the control resolution of actual RC gimbals. And FWIW, I strictly used TelloFPV.

If you experience this behavior regardless of rf noise in the area, as mentioned above, check your motors for excessive heat after a short hover. The hot ones are toast. I replace all motors when the time comes. Never seen blades cause this issue. Wrong blades/placed blades will cause an immediate flip/crash upon take off. All four wrong, the right way, may cause a spin up that pins it to ground. I only ever screwed up mounting props 1-2 at a time. I've been building/flying race/freestlye quads and it can be downright scary/startling to make this mistake. Tello will catch you off guard too, esp hand launch..

Thank you!

Reactions: Santiago

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Repiv