Hello Tello Pilot!
Join our DJI Tello community & remove this banner.

Tello. Whats possible?

Then I guess I don't know what the problem is. I had something similar on Mavic and I was able to clean up the errors by stripping that out.

I am not going to be much help on video I am afraid. I tried again last night to get video packets on my dev machines with no luck. I have even found that windows firewall will block the packets if I try to run the .exe from a network share.

That makes me think your entire problem is related to Windows Firewall. You might need to check those settings.

Height limit is probably in the firmware so an app won't help. If you want a hack; Its based on a pressure sensor so you might be able to put the Tello in a bag and suck out some air before turning it on to fool it.

There is a good reason for that height limit. If it gets too high you can lose signal. Then it will either just hover out of reach or more likely drift away until the battery runs down.

Face tracking should be possible if we can figure out reliable video.

Hey there,

Thanks for getting back. Low signal is no issue for me. I am using a repeater (Xiaomi miwifi nano usb powered router in repeater mode) setup and the signal boost is impressive to say the least.

A hacked FW would be the best, but still your bag idea sounds promising. How would you do that? What is an easy way to fo a pressure sensor, btw?

Keep up the good work. Hopefully you and other devs can add more functionality to the tello drone.

A hacked FW would be the best, but still your bag idea sounds promising. How would you do that? What is an easy way to fo a pressure sensor, btw?
-Place Tello in plastic bag.
-Use a rigid tube for a straw. A pen perhaps.
-Suck.
-Turn on Tello.
-Stop sucking.
-Remove Tello from bag.
-Fly high. Maybe.

Reactions: trelo
-Place Tello in plastic bag.
-Use a rigid tube for a straw. A pen perhaps.
-Suck.
-Turn on Tello.
-Stop sucking.
-Remove Tello from bag.
-Fly high. Maybe.

Gonna try this soon and get back to you with the results. If it goes to outer space then I hope it meets Elon Musk’s starman.

BTW this hack assumes that the Tello measures pressure when the button is pressed, is that right? I mean I can do this process at home and then fly at another place. Or not?

I'm looking at the command list that bluejune came up with. Here are some unanswered questions:

TELLO_CMD_REGION = 21 #pt48
TELLO_CMD_SET_REGION = 22 #pt68
Why have regions? Is it for localized strings sent from the drone? Or maybe it is for FCC/EU signal strength?

TELLO_CMD_TAKE_PICTURE = 48 #pt68
How is picture transferred?

TELLO_CMD_SWITCH_PICTURE_VIDEO = 49 #pt68
TELLO_CMD_START_RECORDING = 50 #pt68
What exactly do these do? If there is a take pic command why a mode too. And if the phone does all the recording why tell the drone.

TELLO_CMD_52 = 52 #pt48
?

TELLO_CMD_LOG_HEADER_WRITE = 4176 #pt50
TELLO_CMD_LOG_DATA_WRITE = 4177 #RX_ONLY
TELLO_CMD_LOG_CONFIGURATION = 4178 #pt50
Still don't understand what these logs contain.

TELLO_CMD_RATE = 40 #pt48
What rate?

TELLO_CMD_ALT_LIMIT = 4182 #pt48
TELLO_CMD_LOW_BATT_PARAM = 4183 #pt48
TELLO_CMD_ATT_ANGLE = 4185 #pt48
I assume these are related and mean, AC is at Alt Limit,Low Bat and Att angle respectively. Att angle is interesting. Does that mean reached max amount of tilt? See setting below.

TELLO_CMD_TAKEOFF = 84 #pt68
TELLO_CMD_LANDING = 85 #pt68
There is also a command that will just start and stop the motors. You can do it in the app by holding both sticks down and inward for a second. I would like to have that for testing stuff without taking off!

TELLO_CMD_SET_HEIHT = 88 #pt68
What is this? Set max height?

TELLO_CMD_SET_ATTITUDE_ANGLE = 4184 #pt68
If this means set max attitude angle then increasing it could speed up the drone.

TELLO_CMD_SET_CODING_RATE = 32 #pt68
TELLO_CMD_SET_DYN_ADJ_RATE = 33 #pt68
Are these rates for video or something else?

TELLO_CMD_EIS_SETTING = 36 #pt68
What is this?

Looking through the app I see these settings that I am not sure we have a command for yet.
Photo Quality.
EV (Exposure?)
Modes up and out,360, Circle and Bounce.
Start/stop motors. You can do it in the app by holding both sticks down and inward for a second. But that doesn't seem to work with a 360 controller so it must be a discreet command.

Reactions: deadprogram
I'm looking at the command list that bluejune came up with. Here are some unanswered questions:

Why have regions? Is it for localized strings sent from the drone? Or maybe it is for FCC/EU signal strength?

How is picture transferred?

What exactly do these do? If there is a take pic command why a mode too. And if the phone does all the recording why tell the drone.

TELLO_CMD_52 = 52 #pt48
?

Still don't understand what these logs contain.

What rate?

I assume these are related and mean, AC is at Alt Limit,Low Bat and Att angle respectively. Att angle is interesting. Does that mean reached max amount of tilt? See setting below.

There is also a command that will just start and stop the motors. You can do it in the app by holding both sticks down and inward for a second. I would like to have that for testing stuff without taking off!

What is this? Set max height?

If this means set max attitude angle then increasing it could speed up the drone.

Are these rates for video or something else?

What is this?

Looking through the app I see these settings that I am not sure we have a command for yet.
Photo Quality.
EV (Exposure?)
Modes up and out,360, Circle and Bounce.
Start/stop motors. You can do it in the app by holding both sticks down and inward for a second. But that doesn't seem to work with a 360 controller so it must be a discreet command.

Hi
Above commands are obtained from decompiled APK and I named them after checking their functions. Many of them are not tested yet.

About region command, I couldn't find how it works.
But I could see the region string such as KO, US came after sending below 21 command.

I could see some decompiled codes used for JPEG file transfer and firmware transfer.
After sending below command, I could see Drone is sending file transfer start packet and sequential data packets.
Storing JPEG file was successful and I'll update them later.

Switching picture and video mode command changes video stream resolution.
With pciture mode, video stream resolution is 920x720 while 1280x720 with video mode.
Start recording command is not checked yet.

Cmd52 is identified as EV(Exposure) setting
TELLO_CMD_52 = 52 #pt48

Below commands are not analyzed yet..

Take off and landing commands are tesed.

But I can't find the command starting and stopping the motors.
Actually I can't see the command packet activating the motors with the tcpdmp logs either.

Below command seem to set max height.

Command 32 is the video encoding rate shown in adv settings in Tello app.

Actually I am developing an Android application to control drones and successful to control Tello with video supported.

Hi
Above commands are obtained from decompiled APK and I named them after checking their functions. Many of them are not tested yet.

About region command, I couldn't find how it works.
But I could see the region string such as KO, US came after sending below 21 command.

I could see some decompiled codes used for JPEG file transfer and firmware transfer.
After sending below command, I could see Drone is sending file transfer start packet and sequential data packets.
Storing JPEG file was successful and I'll update them later.

Switching picture and video mode command changes video stream resolution.
With pciture mode, video stream resolution is 920x720 while 1280x720 with video mode.
Start recording command is not checked yet.

Cmd52 is identified as EV(Exposure) setting
TELLO_CMD_52 = 52 #pt48

Below commands are not analyzed yet..

Take off and landing commands are tesed.

But I can't find the command starting and stopping the motors.
Actually I can't see the command packet activating the motors with the tcpdmp logs either.

Below command seem to set max height.

Command 32 is the video encoding rate shown in adv settings in Tello app.

Actually I am developing an Android application to control drones and successful to control Tello with video supported.

Do you think it will be possible to change the max height without a hacked FW? This would be great news!! Thanks a lot for your hard work. Looking forward to your app.

I posted my proof of concept C# code to github. I highly recommend NOT using this program unless you are prepared to crash your Tello.

Kragrathea/TelloPC

If you are brave.
-Compile with Visual Studio.
-Turn on Tello and connect the PC to the Tello network before running the program.
-Run program.
-Take off is Y on a 360 controller.
-Landing is A.

There is latency. And sometimes the controls stick. You have been warned.

I´m sorry to bother you, but I cant seem to get your code to properly poll the output of my xbox one controller. The controller is recognised and shows a GUID, but joyState.X seem to always return 32768, no matter how I move any axis on the controller. The buttons always return false as well. I´d greatly appreciate if you (or any one else in this threat) can point me in the right direction to fixing this problem.

Again, all the work that has been done in this thread has been awesome so far!

I´m sorry to bother you, but I cant seem to get your code to properly poll the output of my xbox one controller. The controller is recognised and shows a GUID, but joyState.X seem to always return 32768, no matter how I move any axis on the controller. The buttons always return false as well. I´d greatly appreciate if you (or any one else in this threat) can point me in the right direction to fixing this problem.

Maybe because it is an xbox one controller? I only have xbox.

I got video packets to work after disabling windows firewall. But the videos don't play in ffplay without a ton of errors. That can't be right. Has anyone been able to decode the video without errors?

I got video packets to work after disabling windows firewall. But the videos don't play in ffplay without a ton of errors. That can't be right. Has anyone been able to decode the video without errors?
Not error free yet. However I see that I get better results when I set the coding rate: hybridgroup/gobot

I get the feeling that there is some initial initialization needed to be sent to the drone to get a clean feed, that I am not sending yet.

bluejune has an updated lua script for packets perhaps someone can grab that initial negotation that the Android app is doing...

Reactions: trelo

If your controller will connect to your phone with bluetooth this is a good work around until you get the code working
ive posted this on another controller thread but if you have a ps4 controller (bluetooth) you can use an app such as "octopus" as a virtual keyboard then assign where your fingers go on the screen to the controller buttons and joysticks. The only thing i cant do is the swipe to takeoff but it still serves its safety purpose. There may be a better app but this is free. Its for android but you may have somthing similar for ios.in a good wifi enviroment i do not really notice a lag

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Repiv