Hello Tello Pilot!
Join our DJI Tello community & remove this banner.

Tello wireless charging!

I'm still waiting for any new battery technology tested in the past 10 years entering the mass market. Imagine having a fly time of 2 hours with a battery the same size and weight as the current ones. We then could replace the bottom plastic with copper so the Tello doesn't overheats anymore ;)

I'm interested in wireless charging so I can program the tello to fly a mission around my house and return to it's base and recharge autonomously. Repeating the same mission semi daily or on demand. So a very slow recharge speed is fine, and missions time would be in the range of 5-10min.

The charge pad could do a little work too - maybe raise up the coil after landing etc.

Should be possible with Qi chargers and an "antenna" on the bottom of the Tello plus some electronics to convert it to constant 5V. Problem will be weight and obstruction of VPS sensors.

Generally not a decent enough current to make it a valid option. The better bet would be to focus on build a charging station. For example, you could change the micro usb socket on the trello to a flat connector, then when the trello lands on the base, an arm would drag it into place so that the contacts align perfectly with contacts on the base allowing it to charge using a constant current wall charger. Not exactly a feat of engineering, but a good fun project.

Why not just add contacts to the rubber feet for charging from a base plate. Just need to ensure it lands at the right spot. The new SDK is said to grant access to the downvision camera but I haven't seen any video yet

...so I can program the tello to fly a mission around my house and return to it's base and recharge autonomously. Repeating the same mission semi daily or on demand.
Irrespective of the question if wireless or contact based charging would be the better choice: Also the wireless charging requires a precise landing, but this could be solved using the videostream of the downward facing camera.

I never tried, but I think it is not possible to charge Tello over the micro USB port while it is switched on. So the other question for @mampersat's idea of the "home patrol" would be, how to switch between charging and flying.

If it would be switched on all the time, it could easily overheat (ok, this problem can be solved now using the motoron / motoroff commands). Sooner or later, you would also get a problem with a "hanging" device so there should be a way to remotely reboot Tello.

Reactions: Serialcoder
Irrespective of the question if wireless or contact based charging would be the better choice: Also the wireless charging requires a precise landing, but this could be solved using the videostream of the downward facing camera.

I never tried, but I think it is not possible to charge Tello over the micro USB port while it is switched on. So the other question for @mampersat's idea of the "home patrol" would be, how to switch between charging and flying.

If it would be switched on all the time, it could easily overheat (ok, this problem can be solved now using the motoron / motoroff commands). Sooner or later, you would also get a problem with a "hanging" device so there should be a way to remotely reboot Tello.
That would require a small circuit to be built inside the drone, but is really just 3 or 4 discrete components, to make a latch. When the drone is connected to power, the latch circuit would come on, powering down the drone and allowing charge to flow to the battery. A couple of transistors, a diode, and a resistor should do it. I made one recently, using a solar cell to detect sun-up, turn some led lights off and charge the battery they were using.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Repiv