Hello Tello Pilot!
Join our DJI Tello community & remove this banner.

Thank You "Auto Landing", Now I Lost My Tello

This is awesome V! This was on my wish list but didn't think it was possible. You have done it again! TelloFPV rocks!
Anyway to add some type of audible alert when auto land is activated??..Then deactivated?
Yes. But that will actually be more complex than the function itself so low prio.

That is awesome!

It'd be cool to trigger a auto-RTH instead... Is that even a possibility with the Tello's SDK?

Sent from my LGUS997 using Tapatalk
TelloFpv is based on the reverse engineering of the protocol and not the SDK. Tello SDK is a completely different thing and does not include support for something like TelloFpv.

I'm not a fan of auto triggering RTH: It does more bad than good in many situations: Flying indoor and your battery gets low. Auto RTH will just fly straight towards home, crashing into the next wall. Or while circling a tree Wifi goes below threshold when just on the other side and auto RTH crashes Tello into the tree.

I'm not a fan of auto triggering RTH: It does more bad than good in many situations: Flying indoor and your battery gets low. Auto RTH will just fly straight towards home, crashing into the next wall. Or while circling a tree Wifi goes below threshold when just on the other side and auto RTH crashes Tello into the tree.

Yes, that is definitely not a good idea! Agreed!

Sent from my LGUS997 using Tapatalk

I would go for tello anyday again. The Spark is not a substitute for Tello and vice versa. It is small & light, pretty quiet and safe.
When it autolands I like the feature that it hovers above the ground until the battery runs out. In this case I can find it by sound above the grass, If I landed good luck in some cases :) sad to hear the watergate problem.

I agree about the Spark and Tello; I have both, and I bought the Tello specifically for flying inside and letting my daughter fly as well. It's the perfect little drone for indoors, where I wouldn't want to risk flying the Spark which is much more powerful. The Spark is fantastic, and really good at what it does. They complement each other well...they are both very good at what they were built for.

Yes. But that will actually be more complex than the function itself so low prio.

TelloFpv is based on the reverse engineering of the protocol and not the SDK. Tello SDK is a completely different thing and does not include support for something like TelloFpv.

In many situations, I agree. However, I believe it would be a very useful option that you could toggle on or off depending on flight situation.

It would have prevented the loss of my last Tello. It auto-landed on the roof of a nearby building because I accidently dropped my WiFi extender .. the building was slightly higher (most likely), so when it lowered itself, it went out of line of sight of my WiFi by that point and I barely managed to connect to it before it overheated and shut off for good.

In many situations, I agree. However, I believe it would be a very useful option that you could toggle on or off depending on flight situation.

It would have prevented the loss of my last Tello. It auto-landed on the roof of a nearby building because I accidently dropped my WiFi extender .. the building was slightly higher (most likely), so when it lowered itself, it went out of line of sight of my WiFi by that point and I barely managed to connect to it before it overheated and shut off for good.
Once you lose lose the wifi link there absolutely nothing any app can do for you. All the app does, including all autopilots, requires permanent wifi connection.

Without wifi Tello is on its own and followes its firmware instructions for handling the situation, which is hover in place for ~1 minute and then autoland.

Reactions: raulvolador
@volate!lo, even better if you add a settting for ALWAYS cancel autolanding. I can't imagine any flight situation where autolanding is useful.

In my own experience, evertytime autolanding triggered due to VPS failure, WIFI lost or so on, it would have been much better Tello just stayed hovering.

In my opinion autolanding is a feature added by Tello designers for safety reasons but not usefull in real life.

all the best.
Autoland is not totally bad. Autoland only triggers when you are 6m+ from takeoff point and vps fails for more than 3s, or you simply lose signal/crash app and cannot reconnect within 50s.

Say If you fly in urban setting with little to no wind, it may make your tello stuck up somewhere high or prevent it (50/50). If the wind is beyond tello's ability, autoland might be helpful to prevent flyaway.

In the case of open field flight like in the country, autoland is not so helpful since you would land on the ground anyway. But it can still help to prevent flyaway to make your search and rescue and bit easier.

Now the most risky case, flying over water which is usually very open. Autoland is definitely not helpful as tello will just dive into the water to "land" whether it is windy or not.

So my conclusion is it is the pilot's responsibility to utilized the knowledge of autoland to use it correctly. Autoland feature is not the enemy, the pilot's ignorance is. However I believe Ryze can improve the feature by giving us the option to toggle it on and off. Trust the pilot's own judgement of the flight environment and any autoland related accidents would then clearly be the pilot's own fault.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Repiv