Hello Tello Pilot!
Join our DJI Tello community & remove this banner.

To the people having video stutters...

Dinocracy

Reaction score
...have you tried the JayDrone trick (on YouTube)? Force quitting the Tello app before connecting, then starting the Tello and the app and using the blue splash screen button to connect to WiFi? I always do that and only have dropped frames every once in a while, it’s generally very smooth. Dunno if I just lucked out with my Tello, but it might be worth a try if you haven’t already.

EDIT: Sorry, repost.

Last edited:
Oh, okay, too bad. Forgot to mention I’m on iOS (iPhone 6S). Yeah, I usually turn off bluetooth, but it’s been working pretty good even with BT on for me. I just got a BT MOGA controller, will see how that affects the signal.

EDIT: Pretty bad stutters and input lag with the controller. Oh well, it was cheap.

Last edited:
While there are various things that can be done to improve the video quality, the bottom line is there is no way to make it reliable. This is simply the nature of the system, relying on streaming over wifi. Wifi, as a transmission media and protocol, was not designed to reliably stream from a moving target.

This is why DJI put the millions of $ into developing Occusync, used on the Mavic Pro. It achieves what you all are looking for, over miles distance.

Even with a transmission technology designed for reliable transfer of the image, there are still too many variable beyond the control of the system to ensure quality footage, so data is captured locally on and SD card.

Bottom line, the Tello is a toy. Period. I have one, and have loads of fun harassing Duke my labrador with it. However, if I want to do anything slightly more serious with video or images, I go straight to the Mavic Air or Pro. The Tello just isn't made for it.

While there are various things that can be done to improve the video quality, the bottom line is there is no way to make it reliable. This is simply the nature of the system, relying on streaming over wifi. Wifi, as a transmission media and protocol, was not designed to reliably stream from a moving target.

This is why DJI put the millions of $ into developing Occusync, used on the Mavic Pro. It achieves what you all are looking for, over miles distance.

Even with a transmission technology designed for reliable transfer of the image, there are still too many variable beyond the control of the system to ensure quality footage, so data is captured locally on and SD card.

Bottom line, the Tello is a toy. Period. I have one, and have loads of fun harassing Duke my labrador with it. However, if I want to do anything slightly more serious with video or images, I go straight to the Mavic Air or Pro. The Tello just isn't made for it.

Yeah, I suppose you’re right. In my case, I’ve recently started creating simple Facebook videos for my employer (not part of my regular duties, just something we felt could liven up our Facebook page). The stuff I’ve done so far has actually been pretty well-received despite being shot on just an iPhone 6S with iMovie editing (I have no background in video) with no other equipment. The idea is for our video production to be really lean, cheap, and easy, and since Facebook compresses all videos to 720p anyway (we’re not on any other platform than FB), I was hoping to be able to use a Tello for the occasional quick, simple aerial shot instead of my Spark. The Tello is so easy to keep on my person at all times, it’s super quick and easy to handle and launch, and with 2-3 extra batteries, it should get good flight time in a compact package. So those are my reasons for trying to get as much out of the Tello as possible.

Anyway, in my testing so far, it’s close to being usable for my needs for simple 720p video indoors, but inconsistent outdoors. Of course, like you say, if you want to do anything professional, go for a professional model instead. Still, at the price point I figured it was worth a shot. If only there’d been an SD card slot!

Last edited:
Didn't mean to trash the Tello entirely as a way to capture some cool, even useful video. However, if what you're shooting needs to be reliable, the Tello is the wrong platform. Think of shots that can't be repeated, for example.

The minimum change they need to make to the Tello is add a microSD card, and save recorded video there. That would make an ENORMOUS difference for a pretty tiny investment. User supplies the SD card, keeping the price down.

You’ve probably not tried using a Bluetooth controller as the bt connection is what’s causing the terrible video stutter, has nothing to do with it being a toy, the 720p video is smooth using iOS or android app for control as well as the Gamevice controller (direct connection) on iOS. However, using bt connection my Nimbus on iOS the live view and recorded video is unusable due to stutter, lowering bit rate makes no difference.

One thing I tried yeterday was to fly indoors with my phone on the flight mode (I.e. I stop receiving any signal from the GSM grid) and I noticed that the frame slips where almost inexistent.

Reactions: Guorium
Using galaxyS8 in uk, this is my test.
Put phone in airplane mode.
Re-enable Wi-Fi
Start tello app
Connect to drone wifi.

Even setting bit rate to 4mb, very few frames dropped, in a location where frame drop was pretty bad yesterday.

Very happy with the result, thanks

Didn't mean to trash the Tello entirely as a way to capture some cool, even useful video. However, if what you're shooting needs to be reliable, the Tello is the wrong platform. Think of shots that can't be repeated, for example.

The minimum change they need to make to the Tello is add a microSD card, and save recorded video there. That would make an ENORMOUS difference for a pretty tiny investment. User supplies the SD card, keeping the price down.

Yup the simple way to TRF files, I would like that too as I do everything from my wifi passport 2tb.
Portability is everything in my trucking universe. (Dashcams, under water cams, Gopro types, Pentax gear and stargazing recordings plus the one quad I forgot, the little 4"x4" with cam.) Sounds like a lot but I like puttering around and having fun.

Wow, spent hours of frustration trying the mi wifi repeater and never got it recognisesd by the mi home app (which is working well because I have a mi dafang wifi camera and have no probs with it). Finally got the drone connected to the repeater but the frame stutter was still useless... until I followed your procedure of flight mode, wifi on, connect to tello_plus on the repeater and then start tello app. Result, really smooth feed ?????. Despite working, with a solid blue light, the repeater is still not recognised as a device by the mi home app. But who cares as long as it works? Also set range to 30m using TALS app from play store so hopefully get a bright calm day tomorrow for some high alt shooting. ?

Reactions: elJona
You only ever need the Mi Home app once to setup the tello_plus network

I have found IOS to be a lot smoother than the Android app (Galaxy S7) I will try the airplane mode trick this evening.

I use the Samsung S9 with my new Tello which has the latest update and have no stutter at all or dropped frames though have always had the phone in flight mode and then wifi on before starting Tello app.

Reactions: Alan Bathurst
...have you tried the JayDrone trick (on YouTube)? Force quitting the Tello app before connecting, then starting the Tello and the app and using the blue splash screen button to connect to WiFi? I always do that and only have dropped frames every once in a while, it’s generally very smooth. Dunno if I just lucked out with my Tello, but it might be worth a try if you haven’t already.

EDIT: Sorry, repost.

I have just done that and it's still loosing frames a lot. I have an Alcatel Idol 4. I have the aTelloPilot app and it works much better with the video, not perfect, but a lot better. I bought a Xiaomi WiFi extender, I hope it arrives tomorrow to see if it gets as good as many people say. I'll tell you about it.

I have just done that and it's still loosing frames a lot. I have an Alcatel Idol 4. I have the aTelloPilot app and it works much better with the video, not perfect, but a lot better. I bought a Xiaomi WiFi extender, I hope it arrives tomorrow to see if it gets as good as many people say. I'll tell you about it.
Any luck?

I tried this trick on both my personal Galaxy S10e, and my work iPhone 6. Galaxy still drops frames like crazy, iPhone was smooth. Might try the Xiaomi WiFi extender next. The pictures, however, do look good!
I will eventually upgrade to a Mavic Mini, but for the price, the Tello is an awesome little drone.

just put the phone into airplane mode and re-activate only wifi to connect to Tello. Most frame drops should be gone

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Repiv