Hello Tello Pilot!
Join our DJI Tello community & remove this banner.

Unable to re-update firmware

IceAndFire

Reaction score
I'll hold the power button for 5 seconds. It will glow green for 5 seconds and then it will turn off, after which I'll let go of the power button and it will start pulsating red. Standard procedure.

Where problems begin is when I connect to Tello in this state, it's reading low battery (also has no video but maybe that's how it's supposed to be).

As it's reading low battery, it won't let me update it as it thinks it's under 50%.

I'll turn on Tello the normal way and it will read full battery(this was right after charging it, so it's correct).

I've explained this to Ryze Support and they told me to read steps again...

I'm doing it all properly, it even says Firmware 0.0 when I do the 5 second hold boot.

Does anyone know the solution for this?

I've used TelloFPV app to see the exact percentage of the battery when Tello is pulsating red.
Screenshot_20210126-194017.png

0% - obviously some kind of bug?
Just to clarify, I am using stock Tello app to update firmware, not TelloFPV.

The readings are the same in both apps.

Last edited:
Happens exactely the same to me:

I have the standard firmware problem (turn Tello on, get one shot of green light, then some flashing red lights and then drone is dead), so I try the reset procedure to update firmware keeping pressed the power-on button...green led stays on for some seconds then turns off, I release the power button and the led keeps blinking red...now I can connect to the drone's wifi to update firmware...but it always tells me I got less than 50% battery (even with brand new battery fully charged with external charger) -.-

Anybody knows a way to fix this please?

ME, TOO
same problem
I heard only firmware update can resolve the problem.
but low battery .............

Happens exactely the same to me:

I have the standard firmware problem (turn Tello on, get one shot of green light, then some flashing red lights and then drone is dead), so I try the reset procedure to update firmware keeping pressed the power-on button...green led stays on for some seconds then turns off, I release the power button and the led keeps blinking red...now I can connect to the drone's wifi to update firmware...but it always tells me I got less than 50% battery (even with brand new battery fully charged with external charger) -.-

Anybody knows a way to fix this please?
ME, TOO
same problem
I heard only firmware update can resolve the problem.
but low battery .............

Maybe it's connected with manufacturing date? I couldn't find my Tello's manufacturing date anywhere, but the battery that came with it says manufacturing date 13-07-2020.

I've contacted Ryze Support about this before, and all they did was treat me like an idiot by telling me to read their instructions again.

My Tello is more than 2 years old, but was perfectly working until last time I used it, before this firmware messy loop issue...I got the same results with the original "old" battery and with the brand new I just bought with manufacturing date 05/09/2020.

I've also chatted with the support and they said I can only send it back to them for further investigation...but for a €100 drone just shipping costs for gone and back are almost the same than buying a new one :V

My Tello is more than 2 years old, but was perfectly working until last time I used it, before this firmware messy loop issue...I got the same results with the original "old" battery and with the brand new I just bought with manufacturing date 05/09/2020.

I've also chatted with the support and they said I can only send it back to them for further investigation...but for a €100 drone just shipping costs for gone and back are almost the same than buying a new one :V
Sounds to me like a firmware bug, and the only way to fix it would be to wait for them to release a fix I guess.

Just for your information, I tried the same exact batteries + phone + App with another Tello drone of a friend, which is not updated to the latest version of the firmware, and it all works perfectly fine...so I am guessing it's necessarily a firmware issue or a hardware problem with the component who reads the battery level

I've bought another Tello recently, 1 year old, with the latest firmware - Unable to do it.

So it is definitely a firmware bug and all we can do is wait for them to patch it with a new version.

Question would be, how to get a new firmware on the Tello...there must be a solution by ignoring the battery message...

Additional information: had contact to Ritze via chat, they asked to send in the Tello...and denied, that the problem is known.

experience the same problem at this moment, just bought 2nd hand tello yesterday and tried 3 batteries until lowbat with no issue, when i update the firmware, bang!! how can we fix this problem??

Everyone contacted the Ryze Service? They say, it is only MY problem and have no idea about others...

I have the exact same problem on... 2 Tello !!!
Only one left... amazing there is not solution.
How to report that in a way they provide an alternate mode to upgrade (while connected to the USB will be the best option to me).

Does anyone been able to fix that issue ?

hi there, i had the same problem and i came up with the solution. The real problem is the app, to update te firmware you need to install the tello app v1.1.1 (you can find it online) and a charge battery.
Without the battery press and hold the power buttom and conect the charger, keep holdin the power buttom and insert the battery, when the green led turn off release the power buttom. It will turn a pulsing red light, connect the tello to your device and procede to install the firmware from the app.
this work for me and i hope works for you.
sorry about my inglish i´m from argentina

YOU ARE KING!!! IT WORKS!!!!
hi there, i had the same problem and i came up with the solution. The real problem is the app, to update te firmware you need to install the tello app v1.1.1 (you can find it online) and a charge battery.
Without the battery press and hold the power buttom and conect the charger, keep holdin the power buttom and insert the battery, when the green led turn off release the power buttom. It will turn a pulsing red light, connect the tello to your device and procede to install the firmware from the app.
this work for me and i hope works for you.
sorry about my inglish i´m from argentina
YOU ARE KING! IT WORKS! THANK YOU VERY MUCH!

• Love
Reactions: Argentina and MoBO

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Repiv