Hello Tello Pilot!
Join our DJI Tello community & remove this banner.

What is bitrate?

Khizer

Reaction score
When i swap to setting menu in tello app, there is one thing in the bottom named as bitrate which is auto by default. if i switch to 4mbps, will my video quality and frame skip improve?

The bitrate is related with the transfer capacity between yout tello and your phone. If you set it to very high value the image quality will be better but if the connection is not able to trnafer all data you will skip frames. If you set to low values... images will be worse but it will be more difficult to skip frames. I hope this clarify your question.

well what's your suggestion about bitrate? Is it good enough at auto or i will swift it to 4mbps.

If the wifi link is "bad"... you need low bitrate to avoid frame drops, if the link has good quality you can use hisger bitrates. The auto mode will select the best options for you depending on wifi signal strenght, so Auto.

...Javi

Thankz.. And i also want to ask one thing, actually i am new to tello, so if i want to fly forward, what is the max limit it can reach?

In addition to the bitrate question: no manual setting will stick, so it reverts back to Auto the next time you connect the app to Tello.

Would like to see a higher than 4mb rate. I don't fly far, video quality is important for me. a option up to 10mb or ever 7 or 8 would be great

I am not an expert but I think 10mb is more than is needed to transfer all the data that is in a stream of frames. Always using it would not do anything other than to increase the risk you will miss one. As a mad idea and to prove me right or wrong you could look at the average size of a frame and then multiply it by the frame rate and see how many mb's are needed for continuous transfer.

Agree with the others that using an extender has to be the first thing to do.

Edit: Actually, maybe stuff other than the image stream is also transmitted back and also I wonder how it sits with the control signals you are sending up to the Tello. Is it a duplex channel - any handshaking etc. - help, we need an expert ;)

Last edited:
The bitrate is related with the transfer capacity between yout tello and your phone. If you set it to very high value the image quality will be better but if the connection is not able to trnafer all data you will skip frames. If you set to low values... images will be worse but it will be more difficult to skip frames. I hope this clarify your question.
Hi, i wanna ask you something about this. can i reduce this bitrate for programming task like using python code instead of using tello app. So i can use it in computer vision like "follow me feature" or something like that. Or does anyone else know about it. I'd appreciated your response. thanks

I saw no requirement for reducing the bitrate but it may help to reduce latency a little bit. When you consume the stream using OpenCV and do some "expensive" operations on the frames, it may be necessary to decouple the reading from the processing e.g. using threading.

You find examples in my signature.

Iirc the newer edu SDK has some functions to manipulate this. But I don't use it so don't know for sure.
But I don't think it will help you much. Bitrate does not affect image resolution .

You certainly should decouple CV processing from the stream handling as suggested and throttle the frame rate to what your code can handle. Grab the next frame only when the previous one finished CV processing.

I saw no requirement for reducing the bitrate but it may help to reduce latency a little bit. When you consume the stream using OpenCV and do some "expensive" operations on the frames, it may be necessary to decouple the reading from the processing e.g. using threading.

You find examples in my signature.
Thanks for the suggestions. I've did it, but still there were a latency. It really bothering me. But, after trying for many hours, finally i got the solution that is use threading to save the image then i just read one from 5 frame

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Repiv