Hello Tello Pilot!
Join our DJI Tello community & remove this banner.

WiFi Repeater advice

Tello works great with it, I recommend you to get a nice external battery, at least 5000 mHa so you can be sure nothig wrong will happen
You got it - right on the money! I use a usb power bank with 2 outlets on it. One powers up the TL-WR802N (gotta have a better name) and (eventually - when i get the batteries) the other recharges extra Tello batteries.

Have a look at the video "With Repeater" section. Video quality is quite good even at an extended range.

Reactions: Oscar
Range Test Video on the Gigastone R101 - not too bad for a $20 router/repeater - but I think the tp-link is better (just from a video feed stand point when right at the limit of distance):

On the other hand - the tp-link AC750 costs more (a bit more) but it can connect at 5Ghz to your phone or tablet. Just imagine not having to take the video over and over again - time saved! What is that worth?

Check out the video (shot mostly with the AC750):

Configuration video is coming!
Check out the range test (but what matters more is the video quality really):

Flicker Free Video Footage Recipe:
1. use a dual band repeater like the tp-link AC750
2. connect the Tello to the repeater (naturally at 2.4Ghz)
3. connect the smartphone to the repeater (this time at 5Ghz)

The result - flicker free video:

One of these days I will post how to configure this router

Hopefully getting my Xiaomi WiFi repeater next week, any hints or tips on getting the best performance would be appreciated.
Thanks ?
I didn't appreciate how correct the advice about disabling Bluetooth was in terms of video quality - sure, 2G WiFi and Bluetooth use 2.4Ghz, but I assumed they were pretty good at keeping out of each other's way in terms of channels, but my experience (disabling/enabling as a test) is disabling BT can make a significant difference to reducing jitter and corruption, even with the Mi Repeater, under certain conditions. The only problem is I had got used to using the XB One controller. Might see about hardwired connection.

to get even better results: Activate the phone's flight mode, and only re-activate wifi

Many users take the shortcut and just disable BT, and some also disable mobile data. But its not the same.
While in flight mode Android pauses the background activity that checks for internet connectivity every few seconds. This background thread causes some minimal stutter which is annoying especially for VR FPV

Reactions: Fari and Bob Suval
It would be nice if you put any LED on the Tello, remember some basic points, even if you are using the Wi-Fi+ the Tello should not be flown over a gorge or pretty dark places, try not to fly the Tello over the repeater and remember to confirm good charge on the Power Bank, so you will fly safer, I also would recommend you to check the GameVice controller compatibility, if you have a compatible mobile, do not hesitate, works much better then Bluetooth controllers, you can even use the mobile in Airplane mode in order to avoid interferences, so flying feels clear and sweet !

Last edited:
It would be nice if you put any LED on the Tello, remember some basic points, even if you are using the Wi-Fi+ the Tello should not be flown over a gorge or pretty dark places, try not to fly the Tello over the repeater and remember to confirm good charge on the Power Bank, so you will fly safer, I also would recommend you to check the GameVice controller compatibility, if you have a compatible mobile, do not hesitate, works much better then Bluetooth controllers, you can even use the mobile in Airplane mode in order to avoid interferences, so flying feels clear and sweet !
I've never had an issue using a Bluetooth controller.

Took over 4 months to get my repeater from Bangood.. Got it hooked up in minutes from looking at various UT vids. It like getting a new improved toy, works great. Put it close To you and high as possible. Gives the sucker a new life.

Reactions: The_5treet
Hi, I know that Tello can be paired with PS4 controller, but what if the controller it's not from sony? I ask because I want to take the Obird PS4 Controller and I don't know if it will conect to the drone.

You don't connect it to the drone you connect it to your phone. If you have an Android phone use TelloFPV app it's awesome.

how much does a repeater actually help? is it drastic or should I just move over ten feet, I mean honestly.

I use it and I have been very comfortable with the Xiaomi lately I am using the Wifi + S and it is also very good ... maybe it takes a little more time to connect to the tello, but maybe it was just my impression. the important thing is to avoid areas with a lot of electromagnetic interference (wifi)
this was my only distance test with tello, I got a good video result at that distance and it could go further ..

Attachments

• E26023FCBFFC4CDC8F926ACB5B235D88.png
    E26023FCBFFC4CDC8F926ACB5B235D88.png
    2.1 MB · Views: 16
Last edited:

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Repiv