Hello Tello Pilot!
Join our DJI Tello community & remove this banner.

WIFI+S Range Extender vs Xiami WIFI Repeater and Tello Channel choice

Do you think replacing antenna would help the range, or is it the amplification that is the limiting factor? Pix-Link extender is quite disappointing.
On another note, it's software doesn't let you choose channel, it sticks with what it picked during pairing, and doesn't adjust to background networks. So you have to try pairing it over and over, untill it uses the channel you wanted. And no matter how many times I tried it wouldn't use completely unoccupied 13th chanel.

Last edited:
On another note, it's software doesn't let you choose channel, it sticks with what it picked during pairing, and doesn't adjust to background networks. So you have to try pairing it over and over, untill it uses the channel you wanted

Hello @JacekJagosz ,

Some time ago, I found a way to force Tello choosing certain Wifi Channel by temporary creating fake networks flooding undesired channels. I use a Wifi Deauther stick. See here: Tello WIFI channel selection

And no matter how many times I tried it wouldn't use completely unoccupied 13th chanel.

Unfortunatelly Tello only works into 1th to 11th WIFI Channels. I did many attemps but Tello refuses to connect at high channels 12th & 13th. See this post (I recommend you reading full thread)
WIFI+S Range Extender vs Xiami WIFI Repeater and Tello Channel choice

Best regards

Raul.

Hi guys, does anyone knows if the range will improve with a fake gps position? I don't know if tello has fcc mode like his big brothers so will be interesting proof...

Last edited:
Hi guys, does anyone knows if the range will improve with a fake gps position? I don't know if tello has fcc mode like his big brothers so will be interesting proof...

Short answer is NOT.

Some time ago @volate!lo and @Guorium worked a lot on that matter with no success.

Tello is intialized with a Country Code on startup, but there is no evidence different FCC or CE mode exists, as other DJI drones.

It's easy to know what's your Tello Region code, following directions on TelloFPV app:

The new version is out in beta test and contains an easter egg to query the region:

Open About, tap 3x on the credit section which opens a dialog. enter "q:reg" and you should see the region as reported by tello.

After lot of research it seems output WIFI power and available channels has nothing to do with Country Code. It seems to be a "dead end road".

I highly suggest you reading entire thread here: WIFI+S Range Extender vs Xiami WIFI Repeater and Tello Channel choice

Raul.

Last edited:
Ya in short tello does not really have a ce or fcc mode for it does not emit power beyond ce regulation anyway even at maximum power level in lab condition.

Do you think replacing antenna would help the range, or is it the amplification that is the limiting factor? Pix-Link extender's is quite disappointing.
On another note, it's software doesn't let you choose channel, it sticks with what it picked during pairing, and doesn't adjust to background networks. So you have to try pairing it over and over, untill it uses the channel you wanted. And no matter how many times I tried it wouldn't use completely unoccupied 13th chanel.
I am really not an expert on the matter, but the antennas in the repeater are dipole of 1/2 wavelength. The best that can be done with the same output power is to change for directional antennas. Increasing the output power will help but I don't have the knowledge level required to do that.

I will test their consumption though with a USB power monitor. This might indicate which one is more powerful, I say might because it could just mean a less efficient design.

Maybe moving my picture to a new thread will bring more people to put their feedback in.

What do you mean by Pix-Link extender's is quite disappointing, this is the one that I use the most and without being tested with a real methodological approach, it seems to perform the best.

Reactions: ZWActual
I am really not an expert on the matter, but the antennas in the repeater are dipole of 1/2 wavelength. The best that can be done with the same output power is to change for directional antennas. Increasing the output power will help but I don't have the knowledge level required to do that.

I will test their consumption though with a USB power monitor. This might indicate which one is more powerful, I say might because it could just mean a less efficient design.

Maybe moving my picture to a new thread will bring more people to put their feedback in.

What do you mean by Pix-Link extender's is quite disappointing, this is the one that I use the most and without being tested with a real methodological approach, it seems to perform the best.
DSC_0503.JPG
Did you use this one or the WiFi+S everyone here is talking about? I bought this thinking this is the same as the WiFi+S, but it has different UI, and you cannot choose channel, so if it pairs chooses I can get almost 150m, but if it doesn't it looses conection at 50m and the video stutters even when I'm next to it.
If it works for you, maybe I'm doing something wrong?

Last edited:
Reactions: Jaivuetasoeur
Exactly this one. From what I have observed, it seems more affected by Bluetooth interference. I always put my phone in airplane mode, obviously with wifi on, with a wired controller. The Xiaomi is the only one with a shield near the chip. I did not do a test specifically for that but I is reasonable to think that it is less affected by interference.

Reactions: JacekJagosz
The pixlink has a different case compared to wifi+s so I don't think its the same.

generally speaking should be able to increase range by using a directional antenna, but you need to do things right to see a significant increase. Like doing a good soldering job, unless you can use these micro connectors

The pixlink has a different case compared to wifi+s so I don't think its the same.

generally speaking should be able to increase range by using a directional antenna, but you need to do things right to see a significant increase. Like doing a good soldering job, unless you can use these micro connectors
It is not the same case but it uses the same Chip from MediaTek mt7628kn. The rest of the components looks the same but installed differently.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Repiv