Hello Tello Pilot!
Join our DJI Tello community & remove this banner.

WIFI+S Range Extender vs Xiami WIFI Repeater and Tello Channel choice

Hello, I'm new to the TelloPilots forum. I have a Mavic Pro 1 and purchased a Tello Boost Combo to have some fun. I've read a lot about extending the Wifi for both better distance and video signal. There is a lot of talk about the WiFi+ and the Xiaomi WiFi Repeater 2. The WiFi+ seems to be unavailable. Any opinions of which one of these 2 (links below) would be better? Also, any opinions on this power supply / charging station (link below), to power the WiFi Extender? Thanks for any information.

I personally use the Pix-Link because the chinese spy app required to configure the xiaomi is absolutely a no-go for me.
The setup of the Pix-Link is super-simply done via Browser, the device offers a little integrated webserver that provides a setup page that does the job in less than a minute.
Default connection data are on a sticker directly on the backside of the stick, so no worries about forgetting them or losing the user manual if you should ever need to reset it and start from the beginning (for example if your tello (hopefully never) gets lost and you want to connect with your replacement).
Range improvement is pretty awesome, I sometimes still have 40-70dB left when I stop going farer away due to visibility limitations of the drone - so it's sometimes harder to keep in visual range - because Tello is so small in the sky from a certain distance on - than staying wifi range.
So my personally opinion, the Pix-Link is a good choice.

AnGo, Thank you for your feedback. Flydrone, I searched Google for WiFi+ Extender ME300RE and everyone shows not available or out of stock. Am I missing something?

AnGo, Thank you for your feedback. Flydrone, I searched Google for WiFi+ Extender ME300RE and everyone shows not available or out of stock. Am I missing something?

you're right ... but you can find it somewhere.
I ordered one in Italy on eBay.
https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sou...FjACegQICBAF&usg=AOvVaw1QhPFfraVvgvWzJMl8T3Kj

is also found here.

I personally use the Pix-Link because the chinese spy app required to configure the xiaomi is absolutely a no-go for me.
The setup of the Pix-Link is super-simply done via Browser, the device offers a little integrated webserver that provides a setup page that does the job in less than a minute.
Default connection data are on a sticker directly on the backside of the stick, so no worries about forgetting them or losing the user manual if you should ever need to reset it and start from the beginning (for example if your tello (hopefully never) gets lost and you want to connect with your replacement).
Range improvement is pretty awesome, I sometimes still have 40-70dB left when I stop going farer away due to visibility limitations of the drone - so it's sometimes harder to keep in visual range - because Tello is so small in the sky from a certain distance on - than staying wifi range.
So my personally opinion, the Pix-Link is a good choice.
AnGo, seeing that you use this, I hope that you can answer my questions. I got the Pix-Link Wi-Fi Range Extender. I went through the complete set up, which seemed to work. But now I'm a little confused. With the Tello powered off and the Repeater powered on, when I go to Wi-Fi settings on my phone, it shows the WiFi Repeater "obtaining IP". I then power on the Tello and the WiFi Repeater shows "Connected" and also the Tello WiFi shows up. Do I use the WiFi Repeater or the Tello WiFi for the WiFi? If I select the WiFi Repeater and open the TelloFPV app, the Tello is not connected. If I select the Tello WiFi and open the TelloFPV app, it connects. So is the Tello WiFi using the WiFi Repeater or did something go wrong during the setup? Also, the green LED on the Repeater always flashes, never solid. Is that right. Thanks for any help.

Hello Lou M,
I'll try to guide you through the steps with some screenshots I took during my setup. Assuming you are in factory state.

1. Power up the Pix-Link and check for available WIFIs.

2. You should see a "WiFi-Repeater" Network. Connect to to this Network
A.jpg

3. Ensure that you are connected properly. Then open your preferred Brower on the Phone:
B.jpg

4. Open Default IP in Browser and log in with Default credentials. Both should be written on a sticker on the Device's Backside:
C.jpg

5. Then in the Wizard Area, click on "Repeater" Button to set device to Repeater Mode instead of AP Mode:
D.jpg

6. Power up your Tello and wait for Tello's WIFI to appear in the List:
E.jpg

7. When Tello WIFI appears, select the Entry with the Radio button in the right column,
then enter the WIFI Password of Tello's WIFI if you set one on the Tello and Apply:
G.jpg

8. Configuration change is confirmed:
H.jpg

9. Go back to Phone's WIFI Settings. Set original Tello WIFI to "do not reconnect automatically". Why to do this? This prevents your phone from accidentially connecting to Tello directly. As Tello WIFI exclusively allows only one device connection at a time, this would also block the connection attempt of the Repeater in that situation, and could also make it impossible to regain connection automatically if it gets once lost (for example after changing battery).

There should now be a new WIFI called like your original Tello WIFI plus appendix _ext. This is the
new SSID of the Repeater and is used from now on to connect to Tello:
I.jpg

10. Connect to the new WIFI. If you have trouble to get connected after setup, reboot your phone once and then retry.
When connected, open your preferred Tello Controller App.
Wait until Connection is established (see below how to speed this up) and enjoy flying:
J.jpg

Connection is established more quickly by following this procedure:

1. Power up Tello, wait 10 seconds to ensure it is up
2. Power up the Pix-Link, it should connect to Tello automatically within <30 seconds
3. Connect your phone to the Pix-Link WIFI
4. Open Tello Controller App (e.g. TelloFPV)
5. Be sure that Tello does not switch off due to inactivity in the meantime. Otherwise start again with 1 and be faster :)

Hope that helped, for me it works fine like that.

Last edited:
Hello Lou M,
I'll try to guide you through the steps with some screenshots I took during my setup. Assuming you are in factory state.

1. Power up the Pix-Link and check for available WIFIs.

2. You should see a "WiFi-Repeater" Network. Connect to to this Network
View attachment 5215

3. Ensure that you are connected properly. Then open your preferred Brower on the Phone:
View attachment 5216

4. Open Default IP in Browser and log in with Default credentials. Both should be written on a sticker on the Device's Backside:
View attachment 5217

5. Then in the Wizard Area, click on "Repeater" Button to set device to Repeater Mode instead of AP Mode:
View attachment 5218

6. Power up your Tello and wait for Tello's WIFI to appear in the List:
View attachment 5219

7. When Tello WIFI appears, select the Entry with the Radio button in the right column,
then enter the WIFI Password of Tello's WIFI if you set one on the Tello and Apply:
View attachment 5221

8. Configuration change is confirmed:
View attachment 5222

9. Go back to Phone's WIFI Settings. Set original Tello WIFI to "do not reconnect automatically". Why to do this? This prevents your phone from accidentially connecting to Tello directly. As Tello WIFI exclusively allows only one device connection at a time, this would also block the connection attempt of the Repeater in that situation, and could also make it impossible to regain connection automatically if it gets once lost (for example after changing battery).

There should now be a new WIFI called like your original Tello WIFI plus appendix _ext. This is the
new SSID of the Repeater and is used from now on to connect to Tello:
View attachment 5223

10. Connect to the new WIFI. If you have trouble to get connected after setup, reboot your phone once and then retry.
When connected, open your preferred Tello Controller App.
Wait until Connection is established (see below how to speed this up) and enjoy flying:
View attachment 5224

Connection is established more quickly by following this procedure:

1. Power up Tello, wait 10 seconds to ensure it is up
2. Power up the Pix-Link, it should connect to Tello automatically within <30 seconds
3. Connect your phone to the Pix-Link WIFI
4. Open Tello Controller App (e.g. TelloFPV)
5. Be sure that Tello does not switch off due to inactivity in the meantime. Otherwise start again with 1 and be faster :)

Hope that helped, for me it works fine like that.
AnGo,
Thank you so much for that very thorough procedure. My initial setup up was exactly as you showed, minus the security key field, I didn't use one. It seems that my problem begins at your step 9. I can't find "Do not Reconnect Automatically" anywhere. I tried just on the "Tello" WiFi and on the upper level WiFi for the phone. I have a Motorola E4. As you said, I thought there should have been another WiFi option, like "Tello_Ext". I'll keep looking for that Do not Reconnect Automatically. Again, I want to thank for all of your time and effort. Your procedure was amazing.

Reactions: AnGo
I'll keep looking for that Do not Reconnect Automatically

On my Samsung the procedure for this is (as my phone's UI is not in english I don't use screenshots now):
1. Ensure that Tello's WIFI is in range of your phone
2. Open Settings > WIFI
3. Tap and hold the Entry of Tello's WIFI
-> A Context menu will appear that shows among others one point "manage network settings"
4. Select "manage network settings"
5. There is a slider for the option "reconnect automatically" that can be set to state "on" or "off"
-> Set it to "off".

Even if Motorola solves this differently, maybe it gives at least a hint where this setting can be done in your case.

On my Samsung the procedure for this is (as my phone's UI is not in english I don't use screenshots now):
1. Ensure that Tello's WIFI is in range of your phone
2. Open Settings > WIFI
3. Tap and hold the Entry of Tello's WIFI
-> A Context menu will appear that shows among others one point "manage network settings"
4. Select "manage network settings"
5. There is a slider for the option "reconnect automatically" that can be set to state "on" or "off"
-> Set it to "off".

Even if Motorola solves this differently, maybe it gives at least a hint where this setting can be done in your case.
I performed your steps 1-3. At step 3 the Context menu has "Connect to Network", "Forget Network" and "Modify Network". In Modify Network, there is Advanced Options. In there is "Proxy" - with options "None", "Manual" and "Proxy Auto Config" and also "IP Settings" - with options "DHCP" and "Static". I looked in each one, but there isn't anything about "reconnecting automatically". Maybe someone else that has the PIx-Link and a Motorola phone might be able to point me in the right direction.
I might have to give up and get a Xiaomi WIFI Repeater 2 and see if I have any luck with that.
Once again, I would like to thank you for all of your time and effort in trying to help me.

With the Tello powered off and the Repeater powered on, when I go to Wi-Fi settings on my phone, it shows the WiFi Repeater "obtaining IP". I then power on the Tello and the WiFi Repeater shows "Connected" and also the Tello WiFi shows up. Do I use the WiFi Repeater or the Tello WiFi for the WiFi? If I select the WiFi Repeater and open the TelloFPV app, the Tello is not connected.

From this description I understand that the Repeater wifi is visible for your phone, so you can connect. If you performed the setup correctly and explicitly set the Pix-Link to REPEATER mode and didn't change the automatically suggested name of the repeater wifi during setup process, it should show up as "Tello-xxxxx_Ext" instead of "Wifi-Repeater" (this is factory default).
Did you try my suggested procedure to start up Tello FIRST, so that its wifi is up and already waiting for incoming connection when the Repeater boots up SECOND? If the Repeater doesn't find the source wifi directly on boot up, it can take much longer time to establish the connection - Tello could even switch off during that timespan due to inactivity. Therefore this sequence is important from my experience.
Try also to keep Phone or at least phone wifi switched off until this is finished to avoid a race condition between repeater and phone when trying to grab the offered connection from Tello, and only connect to the Tello-xxxxx_Ext then.

Maybe you also temporarily try another phone, if you can borrow you one from a friend, family member, ...

From this description I understand that the Repeater wifi is visible for your phone, so you can connect. If you performed the setup correctly and explicitly set the Pix-Link to REPEATER mode and didn't change the automatically suggested name of the repeater wifi during setup process, it should show up as "Tello-xxxxx_Ext" instead of "Wifi-Repeater" (this is factory default).
Did you try my suggested procedure to start up Tello FIRST, so that its wifi is up and already waiting for incoming connection when the Repeater boots up SECOND? If the Repeater doesn't find the source wifi directly on boot up, it can take much longer time to establish the connection - Tello could even switch off during that timespan due to inactivity. Therefore this sequence is important from my experience.
Try also to keep Phone or at least phone wifi switched off until this is finished to avoid a race condition between repeater and phone when trying to grab the offered connection from Tello, and only connect to the Tello-xxxxx_Ext then.

Maybe you also temporarily try another phone, if you can borrow you one from a friend, family member, ...
AnGo
Thank you for all of your patience. Still no luck. I tried your power up sequence with the same results. So I reset the Pix-Link and started the bring up process again. What I noticed was that in your step 7, after you selected the Tello, it shows "Connect to Tello - xxxxxx" and the Repeater SSID shows "Tello-xxxxx_Ext", but on mine, the Repeater SSID shows "WiFi- Repeater". Should this have automatically change names? I tried manually renaming it, but it still doesn't connect to the Tello. I did try connecting, using a different phone, but still no luck.
You've spent more than enough time helping me out and I appreciate it. I'll play around with it a little more to see if I can get it to work. If not, I'll pick up the WIFI Repeater 2 and see if I have better luck with that.

Thank you for your big big contribution to the investigation. In order the properly interpret the results from you I would like some help to clear up some terms you use.

1. What do you mean by query location? Do you query the oem app or tello?
2. What do you mean by "set tello to a region"? Does tello get told a region by the oem app and keep that info onboard but does not show any signs of altering transmission protocol?
3. How did you end up with 3 US and 1 DE assuming tello does store region info on itself?
4. Did you follow up on this? If tello does change transmission power, it maybe possible that "set wifi power" message on startup is doing something?

I doubt if a 3rd party app has the control over phone's RF hardware too, besides the transmission compliance in the manual was for tello clearly. I will continue with Ryze support to find out what they know about the matter (oh the frustration haha).

For @raulvolador , I have seen repeated F in color code when it is undefined so FF probably means null.

I read the FCC report for tello. They made a test program on page 6 for the compliance test to stream data at test frequencies (1,6,11channel). Only 11 channels were provided since it was the FCC test. Chain 1/0 means horizontal/vertical polarization. On page 11 they show tello's calculated max antenna gain which is 2.96dbi. On page 44 they show the test result for the program (tello was running the program with antenna removed and RF spectrometer connected via low loss cable). All this gave us an EIRP of 2.96 + 16.83 (max avg conducted power in g mode wifi which tello operates on) = 19.79dbm. Fairly close to what the manual claims for FCC (20dbm). I am seeking the CE report now (from Ryze) which isn't open accessible on the internet like the FCC report.

I found the Chinese certification on Chinese authority CMIIT website after checking the certification IDs printed in the battery bay of tello. They got two records for tello for some reason but they are identical. If you click into one of them you see. (Also I found cert ID for Korea, Taiwan, Brazil, Cananda and unknown code 2T1-180101 printed on Tello)
View attachment 3564

The EIRP quoted here has a max of 20 compared to 19dbm the manual claims under SRRC (FCC/CE equivalent of China).

I organised some countries 2.4Ghz wifi tranmission power limit and linked relevant documentation for evidence.
Region (Authority)Tello CertificationRyze claimed power (EIRP)Compliance report power (EIRP)Compliance limit power (EIRP)Allowed WiFi Channels
US (FCC)FCCID 2AOOE-WM004180120dbm19.79dbm (avg) 26.29dbm (max)36dbm1-11
Europe (ETSI)CE (ID not found)19dbmNot found20dbm1-13
China (SRRC)CMIIT ID 2018DP007719dbm20dbm (probably the US report avg figure rounded up)20dbm1-13
Australia (ACMA)RCM (ID not found)N/AN/A36dbm1-13
As we can see from the table, Tello clearly is well under the FCC limit given the test program even with the max EIRP. Both China and EU has the same max limit at 20dbm. I argue that since Ryze claimed 20dbm for FCC which is close to their average report figure. They would have gone with the average report figure for EU and SRRC as well. In fact in both CE (Page 49) and FCC (d), a maximum average (RMS) conducted output power is to be used for digital modulation transmitter (WiFi is). I have reasonable ground to believe tello meets the CE and SRRC test limits with the more power liberal FCC report test. In the FCC test we also witness Ryze has the ability to tune the transmission power via software. There is a very small chance that Ryze utilized different output power program in the CE test (if it took event at all), but to prove it Ryze must agree to offer me a CE test report. So this wild goose chase seem to have most likely been caused by an innocent typo made by whoever compiled the manual at Ryze. I am gonna wait and see if the CE report says something interesting if they give me.
coming back to this old discussion about regions and their potential impact on transmission power & channels due to different FCC / CE regulations.

I found a way to set the region and the next TelloFpv update will include a dialog where one can select / enter different regions.

Maybe Raul can then test if he can trick Tello into different channels depending on the region.
I doubt anyone here has the equipment required to reliably confirm the presence of different power output modes. Range tests might give a clue but with only 19dbm vs 20dbm I doubt this can count as evidence.

Dear Tello friends.
Please dont waste your time on this thread if you want wifi+s extender.
Having just read all 14 pages it appears there is no proof any of these devices are better than the Xiaomi WiFi Repeater 2.
Some comments by users believing "double the range" but without any proof whatsoever. Better video but again no proof.
Xiaomi WiFi Repeater 2. Is the goto device. Personally I can get close to 300 meters using mi2 and I will stand corrected if someone can show me 500 meters using other wifi+s usb adapter.
Finally I find it bizarre that these devices are disappearing (wifi+s) I suspect because they are garbage and nobody buys them. Production ceased.

Dear Tello friends.
Please dont waste your time on this thread if you want wifi+s extender.
Having just read all 14 pages it appears there is no proof any of these devices are better than the Xiaomi WiFi Repeater 2.
Some comments by users believing "double the range" but without any proof whatsoever. Better video but again no proof.
Xiaomi WiFi Repeater 2. Is the goto device. Personally I can get close to 300 meters using mi2 and I will stand corrected if someone can show me 500 meters using other wifi+s usb adapter.
Finally I find it bizarre that these devices are disappearing (wifi+s) I suspect because they are garbage and nobody buys them. Production ceased.
This is your personal opinion, but there are others. I don't agree with you concerning the opinion "Xiaomi WiFi Repeater 2. Is the goto device", at least because it forces the customer to configure it only by a suspicious chinese app that is requesting all possible smartphone device permissions for no significant reason, and as it turned out the repeater also forgets its configuration from time to time, so you need to have it installed permamently. You can discuss about ranges, performance, availability, fine. But if there are alternatives that do the same good job or even better - also you cannot prove that black is white - but can be configured just by web interface with no access to your phone data, that is benefit enough for me and maybe others to NOT go for the Xiaomi. I personally own 3 of the Pix-Link extenders and they all work as a charm and without any risk to expose sensitive private information to anyone.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Repiv