Hello Tello Pilot!
Join our DJI Tello community & remove this banner.

350 meters range test. Little scary story and useful tips

raulvolador

Reaction score
Beware extreme Tello pilots !

Yesterday I performed a range test and I almost lost my beloved tello. Here full story and some tips for brave pilots

I planned the test well. I waited for a no wind day and went to a clear, unobstacle, lonely and wifi interference free place. Everything seemed safe

I started range test along a straight unpaved trail. I got an amazing 350 meters range with clear video when my problems started...

A lonely runner appeared in the distance next to my Tello. I guess he was carrying a cell phone with active wifi/bluetooth.

At this moment I totally lost video from my Tello. I got nervous. I had just made a turn and was not sure of tello orientation. Came into panic I pushed RTH (return to home) into aTelloPilot app and cross my fingers, but as you must know RTH is not 100% precise due Visual positioning inaccurate, he always drifts a few meters.

I was very lucky. I recovered video and control when Tello was 100 meters away. When I reviewed video I realized that on the way back he flew dangerously close between some trees. It was a miracle not end crashing !

I think it would have been more sensible to release controls, rely on the visual positioning system and run the 300 meters towards the Tello, not forgotting Xiami Wifi extender I was using, of course. Tips:

BEWARE OF MOBILE PHONE INTERFERENCES DURING RANGE TESTS

DONT ABUSE OF RTH AND BE PREPARED TO RUN !.

tello 350 meters.jpg

Last edited:
Beware extreme Tello pilots !

Yesterday I performed a range test and I almost lost my beloved tello. Here full story and some tips for brave pilots

I planned the test well. I waited for a no wind day and went to a clear, unobstacle, lonely and wifi interference free place. Everything seemed safe

I started range test along a straight unpaved trail. I got an amazing 350 meters range with clear video when my problems started...

A lonely runner appeared in the distance next to my Tello. I guess he was carrying a cell phone with active wifi/bluetooth.

At this moment I totally lost video from my Tello. I got nervous. I had just made a turn and was not sure of tello orientation. Came into panic I pushed RTH (return to home) into aTelloPilot app and cross my fingers, but as you must know RTH is not 100% precise due Visual positioning inaccurate, he always drifts a few meters.

I was very lucky. I recovered video and control when Tello was 100 meters away. When I reviewed video I realized that on the way back he flew dangerously close between some trees. It was a miracle not end crashing !

I think it would have been more sensible to release controls, rely on the visual positioning system and run the 300 meters towards the Tello, not forgotting Xiami Wifi extender, of course. Tips:

BEWARE OF MOBILE PHONE INTERFERENCES DURING RANGE TESTS

DONT ABUSE OF RTH AND BE PREPARED TO RUN !.

View attachment 1229
Did you use a wifi repeater?

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Repiv