Hello Tello Pilot!
Join our DJI Tello community & remove this banner.

another Tello Pilot (Android App)

Hi,

As icon shows, it is a simple guide.
You can fling to left or right to see the contents.
I think you can find page number at the right bottom of the screen.

Hi, my mistake !!! You know, when you overcome a certain age the view begins to make bad jokes !!!

Thanks again

AD MAIORA

Ok, first impressions:
- works fine with Xbox one controllers (BT enabled ones of course) Controlling is very smooth and exact without any noticeable Lags.
-Video is lagging very often and I've got many artifacts (much more than in the original app)
- over all I'm very satisfied so far, hoping to get some improvements in video transfer

Last edited:
Vision sensor reports relative position every 200ms like GPS so the flight route can be drawn with that information.
With this version, only one target position can be set. The drone will navigate to the target position automatically. (It is controlled by PID)
I'll add a feature to navigate multiple points at next version.

This is great, it would be interesting to also include backflip and video recording on these programmed tracks.
I'm going to buy before I even have the tello in my hands.
That's really good.

Hey,
Motorola Moto E4 ,App connects, no image visible, control works.

Last edited:
second test (indoor) without BT controller connected:
- Little bit less Video lagging and artifacts
- controlles all work fine with touch, telemetry also working as intended
- face detection and following worked but every time I moved sideways, the drone has flown a little bit towards me, when I moved towards it, it flew backwards an sadly didn`t stopped early enough and crashed into the wall.

… and sorry for my bad english, last time I used it is About 20 years ago ;)

- face detection and following worked but every time I moved sideways, the drone has flown a little bit towards me, when I moved towards it, it flew backwards an sadly didn`t stopped early enough and crashed into the wall.

Hey Mario, thanks for some "first impressions"!
Your English and spelling is probably equal to some in the U.S. :)

Ok, first impressions:
- works fine with Xbox one controllers (BT enabled ones of course) Controlling is very smooth and exact without any noticeable Lags.
-Video is lagging very often and I've got many artifacts (much more than in the original app)
- over all I'm very satisfied so far, hoping to get some improvements in video transfer

Actually this app shows broken images even though the video packets are broken while the official app drops them.
In that case, official app shows stutter instead of showing broken images.
And BT will interfere the WiFi signal so it may make more broken images.

Thanks for your feedback.

Actually face tracking works like the following.
-If you touch the detected face, the app calculates the current face position and distance.
-Current face position is marked as a yellow dot on the screen and drone will move keeping your face locate at the yellow dot.
-Distance is calculated from the detected face diagonal length so the area will change if you moved sideways without seeing the drone.
-With this version, the drone doesn't rotate(yawing) tracking your face.

I'll improve it to rotate when you see sideways in the next version.

Actually this app shows broken images even though the video packets are broken while the official app drops them.
In that case, official app shows stutter instead of showing broken images.
And BT will interfere the WiFi signal so it may make more broken images.
Hello, thank you for that developpments, i think i will try your app soon. A suggestion for the next version would be to had an option to do the same video traitement than the official app ? :) Thank you

Hi,

I published an Android app called aTelloPilot (another Tello Pilot).
Below features are supported.

1. Tello supported
2. Several controllers supported
- Bluetooth / USB game controllers
- Parrot FlyPad
- OSD controller with Gyro
3. Photo / Video supported
- Capturing and recording
- Viewer
4. Extra features supported
- Face tracking
- Head tracking
- Flight route and Position tracking
5. Tweaks supported
- ALT limit up to 30m
- Flight log saving

[Init Screen]
View attachment 820

[Full features]
- Distance, heading indicators are supported
- Stick trims supported
- Gyro control supported
View attachment 807

[Game controller button mapping]
- Bluetooth/USB game controllers are supported
- Bluetooth may interfere WiFi so broken images can be displayed frequently
- Buttons are mapped to function buttons of Controller Screen
View attachment 808

[FlyPad]
- Parrot FlyPad is supported
View attachment 812

[Head Tracking]
- Drone orientation is aligned with device orientation
- Drone rotates as you rotate
View attachment 809

[Flight Route and Position Tracking]
- Flight route is displayed on the screen
- If target position is set, drone will go there automatically
View attachment 810

[Face Tracking]
- Click a detected face to track, drone follows selected face
- If the face disappears, it stops tracking
View attachment 811

Any feedbacks are welcome.
Hi Bluejune, I installed your new app, connected my phone to my Tello, started the app, but could not ever get the app to go beyond the first splash screen... What could i be doing wrong?
By the way, it looks so much better than the orig app! It is frustrating to have to go to the menu to select any of the "special" functions and your app has them right on the top of the screen!

Hi Bluejune, I installed your new app, connected my phone to my Tello, started the app, but could not ever get the app to go beyond the first splash screen... What could i be doing wrong?
By the way, it looks so much better than the orig app! It is frustrating to have to go to the menu to select any of the "special" functions and your app has them right on the top of the screen!
Do you mean you cannot close the version history when you run the app at first time? Press X button at the top right.
Or if you can not go to main controller screen then go to settings and register your Tello drone, you can go to main controller screen.
If the drone is not registered, main controller is inactive.

Hi,

so, I started testing the app ...
First thing: the hand-land does not work, but even the normal land, I have not tried other "automatic" functions (at least on Galaxy J7 2016) ...
Second thing: as the user Mario01 has already written, the videos have some artifacts (maybe a little too much ... the stuttering with the original app was not so marked ...), also without a bluetooth controller ...
Third thing: face tracking works, but in any case it needs to be perfected (every now and then it goes about its business ...)

Other things I have not tried yet, as soon as I do I will realize it on the forum ...

AD MAIORA

P.S. ... to be a 0.1 version is more than excellent ... GO NEXT THEN !!! :D:D:D

P.P.S.S. ... how can I open the log files (es. with CsvView or DatCon) ???
The output of CsvView is:
G:\Il mio Drive\1.MODELLISMO RC\DJI TELLO\aTelloPilot\Log\flight_log_2018-07-18 172431.DAT is not an acceptable .DAT file ==>

Last edited:
Do you mean you cannot close the version history when you run the app at first time? Press X button at the top right.
Or if you can not go to main controller screen then go to settings and register your Tello drone, you can go to main controller screen.
If the drone is not registered, main controller is inactive.
Sorry, I can x out of the version screen, then i go to settings and scan and connect to my drones WIFI, then back and go to flight control screen, but when I select auto take off, nothing happens. It seems that i get voice response to most controls but nothing on the drone except the flashing amber light.
Thank you for help, it has to be a thankless job responding to everyone asking questions.

I have connection issues also. The app recognises the Tello and the Fly pad but never connects. I have tried them unpaired and letting the app find them and then pairing them and opening the app. Neither works. Both the Ryze and aTello work on these same devices.

Suggestions?

Hi,

so, I started testing the app ...
First thing: the hand-land does not work, but even the normal land, I have not tried other "automatic" functions (at least on Galaxy J7 2016) ...
Second thing: as the user Mario01 has already written, the videos have some artifacts (maybe a little too much ... the stuttering with the original app was not so marked ...), also without a bluetooth controller ...
Third thing: face tracking works, but in any case it needs to be perfected (every now and then it goes about its business ...)

Other things I have not tried yet, as soon as I do I will realize it on the forum ...

AD MAIORA

P.S. ... to be a 0.1 version is more than excellent ... GO NEXT THEN !!! :D:D:D

P.P.S.S. ... how can I open the log files (es. with CsvView or DatCon) ???
The output of CsvView is:
G:\Il mio Drive\1.MODELLISMO RC\DJI TELLO\aTelloPilot\Log\flight_log_2018-07-18 172431.DAT is not an acceptable .DAT file ==>

About hand-land, actually it is just enable/disable switch.
Real landing is done by landing switch.. If the hand-land switch is on, landing button will do hand-land otherwise it will do automatic landing.

About video issue, can you share the recorded video file to check why the images are broken.

I agree face tracking should be more optimized in the next version.

I checked the flight log file is working with CsvView 3.6.0

About hand-land, actually it is just enable/disable switch.
Real landing is done by landing switch.. If the hand-land switch is on, landing button will do hand-land otherwise it will do automatic landing.

About video issue, can you share the recorded video file to check why the images are broken.

I agree face tracking should be more optimized in the next version.

I checked the flight log file is working with CsvView 3.6.0

Hi,

... unfortunately (at least to me ...) does not work even the automatic landing, remains in hovering and I have to get it down with the throttle down ...
... for the logs I solved by activating the "Invalid DatHeader OK" option in CsvView 3.6.0 ...

As always, thank you for this great app !!!

AD MAIORA

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Repiv