Hello Tello Pilot!
Join our DJI Tello community & remove this banner.

Apps, Controllers and VR compatibility

PhilJman

Reaction score
Hi,

I'm looking to buy a Tello and have done a lot of reading on the forum and the wiki about the apps, controllers, VR etc. There is a lot of info covering capability of various apps, controllers at various software updates so I'd like to confirm my understanding of things as they are currently is correct:

1. Gamesir t1d controller.

a. Dedicated controller for Tello drone that wont work for other uses.

b. Does not have OTG capability (and never will)

2. Gamesir t1s controller

a. General controller that wont work with the OEM Tello app.

b. Will work with other third party Tello controller apps.

c. Can be used for other gaming.

d. Has OTG capability.

3. Gamesire t1 controller

a. As t1s but without the 2.4Ghz capability.

4. Tello OEM App

a. Works only with the Gamesire t1d via BT (no OTG capability)

b. Has VR capability (split screen)

5. ATelloPilot App

a. Commercial app by Bleujeune that is available on Playstore and has a load of cool features.

b. Works with various controllers either by BT and OTG.

c. Does not have any VR capability.

5. ATello App

a. A free controller app that has never been on Playstore and is no longer under development.

b. Does not have VR capability.

Sorry if there is similar summary somewhere else but I couldn't find one. Thanks for your help.

Phil

Reactions: zesteves
That seems correct, though I have never tried the USB OTG capability of the gamesirs.

I would like to make one very important point:
If you have ever flown something using a real RC like a Taranis Frsky you will find the game controllers very very imprecise. If you check with any gamepad testing app you will see that the stick position does only vaguely correlate to the generated output. You put the throttle stick at 50% but the output reads 90%. You put the stick at 20% and the output is 0. Some controllers have creep, that is the sticks in neutral don't give an output reading of 0 but some other possibly inconsistent value. Some controllers don't reach more than 80% throttle and yaw when you place the sticks into the corners.
There may be quality differences but overall the gamepad controllers I have tested including the T1d are ridiculously imprecise.

There is one exception: The parrot flypad. This one has very precise controls matching a good RC. And its cheap: I bought a Parrot Swing including this Flypad for 20 Euro of ebay.
The Flypad is a BTLE solution but also has USB OTG support. Unfortunately this USB support is switched off after a 30 seconds, I haven't figured out yet why.
But the Flypad limits your options to the aTelloPilot app which doesn't have VR capability.

Or -spoiler alert!- wait a few days until my app is released. I just received the OK from the forum admins to post a public beta version here so you wil lbe able to download the APK before the App goes to the Playstore. Maybe tomorrow or the day after I will post the details.

One more thing because you mentioned OTG capability:
Bluetooth controllers, including those using the Low Energy variant, can disturb a Wifi signal. But that happens almost exclusively when the drone's wifi signal is relatively weak and the drone is in a distance. The nearby strong Bluetooth signal overwhelms the weak wifi signal in this case.
But a strong local BT signal and a strong Wifi signal can coexist very well. Otherwise you would not be able to stream music using spotify to a BT speaker.

This is why the range extender and it's location is important:
Your controller emits a strong BT signal nearby te phone, but he phone has a strong wifi connection to the range extender so the controller just doesn't have any impact. The range extender on the other hand, if placed a few meters away, doesn't even notice the low range BT signal and therefore has a much beter reception of the relatively weak signals of the drone in a distance.

BT controllers are not an issue if you place the range extender maybe 10m away.

Last edited:
Thanks for the replies and your advice which all makes a lot of sense. I've already got a Xiaomi Mi 2 repeater so intend to use it for the Tello as you describe. I know the AFH that BT uses should reduce the problem of BT/Wifi interference but if an OTG cable eliminates any potential for interference then that sounds like a good back up. Thanks again.

Actually I never mess with these wired controllers - especially since their precision is so inferior compared to the Flypad. I have used the Flypad for two years now with the Bebop range of drones and I just love it. Its precision just matches what you expect from a full scale RCs and even exceeeds that of the Parrot Skycontroller (which I had once but sold after I found the Flypad)

As mentioned my App is in the final days of development. I want to get it out of the door before christmas. While the VR functionality is not yet ready for public use its at the top of my ToDo list. But as said I will post an announcement soon, including the Beta version and a roadmap.

Last edited:
Hello Phil and volatello,

I found this thread (Apps, Controllers and VR compatibility) really very good!
It comes exactly according to my research for my current objective: to fly with the Tello with a controller and with VR capabilities.

Phil - from my readings, I have come to the same conclusions as you published here. With the aggravating fact that, in practice, none of my controllers (Flypad and Gamesir G3s) worked with any of the app (Tello or aTelloPilot).

Volatello - your revision of the Bluetooth/WiFi signal relation is very good and a good insight for people who has the same objective as us. I was a bit worried that if we could only use the BT connection for the controllers, the wifi signal would be disturbed. So, I had already ordered a Xiaomi Mi 2 wifi repeater 1 month ago, even before I bought the Tello. I'm still waiting for TomTop to deliver it.
After reading this thread and the exchange of previous posts with you, I am eagerly awaiting the launch of your new app. Good luck with your work on app development!

All the best!
Jose

Hi Jose,
Hello Phil and volatello,

I found this thread (Apps, Controllers and VR compatibility) really very good!
It comes exactly according to my research for my current objective: to fly with the Tello with a controller and with VR capabilities.

Phil - from my readings, I have come to the same conclusions as you published here. With the aggravating fact that, in practice, none of my controllers (Flypad and Gamesir G3s) worked with any of the app (Tello or aTelloPilot).

Volatello - your revision of the Bluetooth/WiFi signal relation is very good and a good insight for people who has the same objective as us. I was a bit worried that if we could only use the BT connection for the controllers, the wifi signal would be disturbed. So, I had already ordered a Xiaomi Mi 2 wifi repeater 1 month ago, even before I bought the Tello. I'm still waiting for TomTop to deliver it.
After reading this thread and the exchange of previous posts with you, I am eagerly awaiting the launch of your new app. Good luck with your work on app development!

All the best!
Jose

Jose,

I'm still to buy anything for the Tello, so wanna make sure I buy the correct controller. Can't believe PC World in UK were selling the Swing + Flypad for under £25 but looks like I missed out as there are none available now!! Would have bought it for that price even if it wasn't compatible with the only app to do VR currently.

PARROT PF727003 Swing Drone with Flypad - Black

The recently upgraded Drone VR+ app works with any controller that works with Android... and now supports the Tello (free), have to pay to use it with all the bigger DJI drones.

That sounds good. I know the clue is prob in the name but does the free version of that app do the VR as well?

does the free version of that app do the VR as well?

Yes it does... has two viewing modes - stereo or full screen.

In the settings menu you can program the controller buttons any way you want... and you have total control over the size and position of the two screens in stereo mode. It's a powerful app that will only get better.

I just used it to fly around my bedroom in full screen mode using an 8" tablet and my T1s via bluetooth... I can try it later with the OTG cable just to be sure it works both ways.

Hi Jose,

Jose,

I'm still to buy anything for the Tello, so wanna make sure I buy the correct controller. Can't believe PC World in UK were selling the Swing + Flypad for under £25 but looks like I missed out as there are none available now!! Would have bought it for that price even if it wasn't compatible with the only app to do VR currently.

PARROT PF727003 Swing Drone with Flypad - Black

Here in Portugal I bought mine in August for 29 euros. Now I visited the website and I noticed they increased the price to 45 euros:
Drones | Worten.pt

The recently upgraded Drone VR+ app works with any controller that works with Android... and now supports the Tello (free), have to pay to use it with all the bigger DJI drones.

Hi,
The app looks great but it isn't compatible with all phones. For instance, it isn't possible to install this app in my phone (Oneplus One with Android 6.0.1).
I sent a message to Appologics asking them support and I didn't receive any answer.

Hi,
The app looks great but it isn't compatible with all phones. For instance, it isn't possible to install this app in my phone (Oneplus One with Android 6.0.1).
I sent a message to Appologics asking them support and I didn't receive any answer.

DroneVR+ is a very feature-rich app, and requires a device with plenty of 'horsepower'... it won't run on my old phone either!

That's why, for now, I use it with my new tablet, which I bought to fly my P3 Pro. I'm thinking about maybe getting a Galaxy S7 off eBay after the first of the year.

Seeing as compatibility is obviously an issue for a lot of people I've put a spreadsheet together with as much info as I have from this discussion:

Tello Compatibility

Hopefully its self explanatory and anyone with the link can update the sheet with what they know.
It should open into Google Sheets from the link and any changes should be automatically saved.

DroneVR+ is a very feature-rich app, and requires a device with plenty of 'horsepower'... it won't run on my old phone either!

That's why, for now, I use it with my new tablet, which I bought to fly my P3 Pro. I'm thinking about maybe getting a Galaxy S7 off eBay after the first of the year.

To buy a new phone is always a good idea! ;)

Seeing as compatibility is obviously an issue for a lot of people I've put a spreadsheet together with as much info as I have from this discussion:

Tello Compatibility

Hopefully its self explanatory and anyone with the link can update the sheet with what they know.
It should open into Google Sheets from the link and any changes should be automatically saved.

Phil,

Great idea!

I already updated the file for Tello OEM (Flypad and 1+1)

Reactions: PhilJman

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Repiv