Hello Tello Pilot!
Join our DJI Tello community & remove this banner.

Better flying over water

djaps27

Reaction score
I am looking to improve Tello stability over water, "auto cancel landing" is a great option because overwrite landing cause by VPS fail. But I am looking for adding additional sensor or system that will improve water expirience.

What do you think, is GPS only solution? And if it is, is there any theard that someone started this process?

Thanks in advance!

I was thinking more of adding a landing gear, like pontoons on a hydroplane. I could print a clip on landing gear that attaches from below the motors and would not allow Tello to sink, even if it lands on water. The problem, apart from added weight would be that it would block a part of thrust and make the drone less wind resistant, but since I would attach it only when flying over water it should be managable.

Reactions: djaps27
I think part of the problem is the downward IR for the VPS.
The water does not allow for full reflection of the invisible light, which means the stability suffers.. Your best bet might be a full cage with 4 small balloons.

It is not bad solution, but I am looking for a way to provide drone GPS coordinates for better orientation.

Also I am inspired by vGPS function in TelloFPV app, but that function does not help drone orientating then having some other usibilities.

Biggest concern is that even if I succeed to provide GPS metrics to Tello, Tello's firmware decrease angles after VPS fail (thanks VT to providing this info) and I am worried that it is a huge deal to overwrite firmware to listen GPS after VPS fail.

nobody has ever added sensors or changed the firmware of tello. Some made Tello carry its own controller for autonomous flights, but once VPS is lost your are mostly doomed.

I love Tello for what it does but if you want to fly over water routinely just buy another drone.

Last edited:
Reactions: MNNJR69

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Soccer843