Hello Tello Pilot!
Join our DJI Tello community & remove this banner.

Brushed motors life expectancy (now with answer from Ryze)

40 hours=2400 minutes.

I'm getting over 15+ minutes per battery , which translates into 2400 minutes/15 minutes = 160 flights.

Problem is, if I do as few as 4 indoor flights per day, then the life of the motors is only 40 days (160/4=40).

Is $100 for 40 days of flying cost-effective?

Each customer will have to decide the answer for her or his self.

In this woman's opinion, the answer also depends on whether replacement motors are a) cheap and b) user replaceable.

Note that this analysis does NOT take into account that the customer may also have spent a) $25 or more for a case b) up to $100 for a controller.

I agree that 40h is not so great, but how realistic is that someone would fly for one hour each day indoors for 40 days straight? It's possible for first few days, but unlike that anyone would fly even once each day

I agree that 40h is not so great, but how realistic is that someone would fly for one hour each day indoors for 40 days straight? It's possible for first few days, but unlike that anyone would fly even once each day
It is disappointing to know those characteristics of the brushed motors. I would've paid at least $50 more if the motors were brushless. On the other hand, if they are easy to replace I may do that. The video from Micro Motor Warehouse showing how to do it seems simple enough. The good thing is that, when a motor does go bad, the drone will never be far away and seems durable enough that if it falls to the ground no harm may be done. This drone, after all, is a paradigm shift in small drones. It changes the "game" and makes it the one to follow. We can only expect better ones to come now. Using this drone CAUSED me to get a Spark, since the Spark is a Tello on steroids, able to do all the things a Tello can't.

Couldn't agree more. Totally fun to fly, especially indoors. There aren't any drones that I know in it's price range that can compare. My Mavic Pro is in hibernation until the weather gets better. My only disappointment is the lack of a physical controller. Fun little guy!

I'm in the same boat, Mavic in storage until I can/need to mow the lawn likely. Tello is fulfilling my indoor practice needs and fun to boot! Took it outside and it doesn't take much wind to trouble it, so I upped the speed and it's even more fun! Will take it to work, huge garage to play in!

Reactions: wattermelon1
I've had my Tello for about two weeks. Flew maybe a total of 30 minutes and a motor crapped out.
Not sure why it died I did not crash it. I did a throw and go....it wobbled all over the place but I managed to land it.
Now sometimes the motor starts sometime it does not!
I ordered 4 motors for $25 and going to give replacing them a try!

Reactions: wattermelon1
Well now I'm confused. I replaced the motor, it went off without a hitch.
My new motors have blue and black and black ad white wires I picked a motor with blue and black I just matched colors. Blue to Blue, black to black. Since blue and black where coming out of the drone figured it would just be a match.
Motor spun in the wrong direction.

So I flipped the wires the motors are all spinning the right way, but on take off the drone still just flips over!
I'm confused!

Next thing to try is the white and black wired motor and wire it up and see what I get.

Any ideas? In actuality to get a CW motor to spin CCW can't you just flip the wire?

Well now I'm confused. I replaced the motor, it went off without a hitch.
My new motors have blue and black and black ad white wires I picked a motor with blue and black I just matched colors. Blue to Blue, black to black. Since blue and black where coming out of the drone figured it would just be a match.
Motor spun in the wrong direction.

So I flipped the wires the motors are all spinning the right way, but on take off the drone still just flips over!
I'm confused!

Next thing to try is the white and black wired motor and wire it up and see what I get.

Any ideas? In actuality to get a CW motor to spin CCW can't you just flip the wire?
Go to Micro Motor Warehouse and watch the replacement video, giving the exact way to wire the new motors. But, as already asked, why did you not use your warranty for a new unit? Two weeks is not long.

everything is wired correctly, all the props are on right. All the motors spin up in the right direction. It still flips.
These are not the Micro motors they are generics off Amazon.

I wonder if they have more power and only replacing the one is causing the problem.
When I hold it in my hand it feels like I'm getting more thrust in the new motor corner.

Could you please respond to the question about why you didn't just get a warranty replacement? I admire your technical attempts but wonder why you didn't take the easier option and return it for a new one.

well if you really have to know, for the experience.
I'm teaching a STEM scratch programming class with 8th graders. Figure I'd be replacing a lot of them.

I really think it is the difference in thrust, the new motor definitely produces more thrust.

I'll remember that about the new motor and, if I end up replacing any, I'll replace all 4 at the same time. I assume you drilled a hole in the bottom of the leg to insert the motor plug thru so it could be plugged in to another from the circuit board. I also assume you just tied them between the parts of the bracket going to each leg. Others have said it was too tight to tuck the wiring in beside the motor up thru the holder.

I'm going to replace the opposite motor tomorrow and see if that helps. Then I'll replace the other two once I confirm that the new motors really do have more thrust, which I really think they do.

I did solder on JST plugs for plug and play replacement. I didn't have any trouble running the wires up along the motor but I could see if you weren't careful you would tear them up.

I really feel like I'm going to tear it all apart add connectors and redesign and print a case that holds everything.
I really want an LED on the back for orientation as well.
Adding the JST's and tucking them into the arms really wrecks the nice clean look of the stock drone.

Reactions: Geman46
Flying good as new! You can't just replace one motor--pairs at a minimum. The thrust of the new motors is a lot higher than the stock ones. At least mine were.

I did get away with only replacing a pair. Flies good as new, didn't notice any drop in flight time and control was a little more zippy.

When I get a minute I'm going to start a new thread on how to do the motor change. Although the current video is OK, it leaves a lot of useful info out.

Pucker factor-----6/10...

I'm going to replace the opposite motor tomorrow and see if that helps. Then I'll replace the other two once I confirm that the new motors really do have more thrust, which I really think they do.

I did solder on JST plugs for plug and play replacement. I didn't have any trouble running the wires up along the motor but I could see if you weren't careful you would tear them up.

I really feel like I'm going to tear it all apart add connectors and redesign and print a case that holds everything.
I really want an LED on the back for orientation as well.
Adding the JST's and tucking them into the arms really wrecks the nice clean look of the stock drone.
I hope you will eventually do a video about how you replaced the motors. It would be a great service to the rest of the Tello community. For those of us who want to keep the Tello a while, but may have to replace motors, those plugs will make it easy, so seeing how they are soldered to the circuit board the first time is important.

I fly ALL KINDS of drones. I just had a motor fail and ordered a new set of 8 for $15.
This is after approx 2 months and 120 flights. Ain't even mad. - tinywhoops last 1/3rd of that!
I'll be soldering them in properly, not that wanky plug.
There are plenty of how to videos.

I will point out that "pairs" are diagonal. always replace at least pairs, but if its due to a worn out motor, just do all four.

I fly ALL KINDS of drones. I just had a motor fail and ordered a new set of 8 for $15.
This is after approx 2 months and 120 flights. Ain't even mad. - tinywhoops last 1/3rd of that!

I will point out that "pairs" are diagonal. always replace at least pairs, but if its due to a worn out motor, just do all four.
Hoping you'll do a video of your repair and also show us the finished product in flight. Thank you for sharing your experience.

Reactions: Avellas
Hoping you'll do a video of your repair and also show us the finished product in flight. Thank you for sharing your experience.

404fpv, wondering if you completed your motor replacement. Why did you not consider these motors? Ryze (DJI) Tello Motors (4pcs, coreless, speed: fast) Are the ones you used exactly the same???

They look the same to me. Both are 15000kV, 8.5 x20 mm. The ones on Amazon is cheaper, and you get 8 instead of 4.
This is great to know. Thank you so much for sharing. I'm sure more people will need to do this as the Tello ages. Wish you had a video of your repair. Someone will surely do one soon. The Tello will remain popular longer if people know how to replace the motors. I imagine the most tedious part is soldering to the circuit board.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
thepresentx