Hello Tello Pilot!
Join our DJI Tello community & remove this banner.

Gamesir controller wired?

Macros999

Reaction score
Guys,

Is it possible to connect the Gamesir remote via wired to my phone, and therefore not use the Bluetooth. I think that will make the wifi connection a bit better?

Guys,

Is it possible to connect the Gamesir remote via wired to my phone, and therefore not use the Bluetooth. I think that will make the wifi connection a bit better?
Gosh, I can't believe no one ever answered you here. Did you get an answer? My guess is that this would not be possible with an inexpensive controller like the GameSir T1d, already designed for the Tello exclusively. Also, I don't think the Bluetooth frequency at such low power, intended basically for just a few feet, would interfere with the WiFi longer range frequencies, in this case only 2.4 Ghz. 5.8 is only in bigger drones.

This question has been answered many times and if you read all the posts you will become as confused as the rest of us. However I will attempt to provide some help for you. The Gamesir T1d is only for the Tello and cannot be connected via OTG only bluetooth. The Gamesit T1d cannot be used for games either. The USB port on the T1d is only for charging. In my opinion the T1d is a waste of money.

I am currently using a Gamesir T1 and it will operate using an OTG cable and no Bluetooth is required. Using the OTG method improves the video tremendously. Be sure to use a real OTG cable and it must be connected with the host end towards the phone. When connected properly the T1 will power up as soon as the phone is turned on. If it does not reverse the OTG cable. One last thing, the original Tello App does not support USB/OTG and will only work with bluetooth. To use an OTG cable you must use the app aTelloPilot available at Google Play. It's a great app and works quite well.

There are many more controllers that should works just fine as long an they require a USB cable to work they should work using USB/OTG connection. It may require re-mapping the controls but that is also simple using an app called octopus. Search Google using "tello controllers OTG" you will come up with tone of videos.

Good luck ~ Bill

T1s with OTG cable works perfect with Tello for all devices android, or ios. I agree that the T1d is not the best choice out there.

Agreed. My T1s arrived yesterday and my OTG USB-C to micro USB arrived today. Plug and play with my Galaxy S9+. The phone basically thinks it's a mouse (HID device), so you need to map your buttons, but you can do this directly in the aTelloPilot app. There is no mapping function in the Tello app so you can't use the controller wired to fly the quad in that app unless you use something like Octopus, which requires far, far too many permissions for my comfort level.

Last edited:
This has been a very helpful post, thank you to all who have contributed. i can't tell you how many frustrating hours I've spent searching for answers on what controller to get.

I'm getting this for my son and want to be sure that what is under the Christmas tree actually works so he's not disappointed.

Sounds like the preferred method is the T1s with an OTG cable. Now I have read that Android phones will need to be rooted; is this actually the case? I have an old Nexus 5 that I was going to give him with it (wish i didn't need the phone at all) but want to make sure all this works...

This has been a very helpful post, thank you to all who have contributed. i can't tell you how many frustrating hours I've spent searching for answers on what controller to get.

I'm getting this for my son and want to be sure that what is under the Christmas tree actually works so he's not disappointed.

Sounds like the preferred method is the T1s with an OTG cable. Now I have read that Android phones will need to be rooted; is this actually the case? I have an old Nexus 5 that I was going to give him with it (wish i didn't need the phone at all) but want to make sure all this works...

T1s all the way for your son. The controls will make it so much easier for him to fly, it is very precise. Definitely get the OTG cable! I have never rooted any of my phones and I have tried many older androids with 4.0 firmware and higher on the Tello, they all work ok but so far my best results have been with android phones with 8.0 and up firmware. Hope that helps.

Somewhat related question... Are the cables that come with the Mavic's OTG? Could I just use one of those cables to connect my phone to the Gamesir 1? Also, the Gamesir is micro USB, right?

Now I have read that Android phones will need to be rooted; is this actually the case?

I certainly didn't have to root my S9+, and I would assume that any version of Android that supports USB OTG wouldn't need to be rooted. Unfortunately I can't say with certainty what is the earliest version that supports OTG, but that shouldn't be too difficult to determine using our friend Google.

I can't say with certainty what is the earliest version that supports OTG

I've used my T1s wired-OTG with an old Galaxy S3 phone running Android 4.4.2

I decided against the T1d because it can only connect w/ bluetooth, the T1 can be used wired-OTG or bluetooth, but the T1s does it ALL!

This T1s works with all the phones and tablets I've tried it on, wired-OTG or BT.... or connected to a computer with the 2.4ghz 'dongle'. I don't have any Windows games to try it with, but the computer recognizes it when I plug in the 'dongle' and auto-installs a "USB input device" driver. Maybe I'll get around to trying it with my Android TV someday.

I've used it to fly with
  • aTello
  • aTelloPilot
  • Drone VR+
  • oem Tello app (works with bluetooth but haven't figured out if there is a way to make it work with OTG - I think not)
Also, I've noticed that the video breakup, when using bluetooth, is a lot less on newer/faster devices... and non-existent on my Huawei Mediapad M3 tablet, the 'newest' and most powerful device I have. Smooth video and no-lag control response. I bought the M3 to fly my Phantom 3 Pro, and it has DJI Go and Litchi installed along with the four apps listed above.

Reactions: malta1
Got my Gamesir T1 last night. I can confirm that an OTG cable works with my LG Nexus 5x with no need to root. It's awesome! Soo much better than using the phone screen!

Question, I is aTello the same as aTelloPilot? I could only find aTelloPilot on the app store and it costs $5. Wasn't expecting that... Any other free apps that do a similar thing?

Not sure on the Mavic, dont have one yet, but shes coming. And yes it is a micro USB.
Hmm I have a Mavic... my guess it that's a hard no. Not to mention that I would not want to mess up the rock solid connection I have going with my Mavic to fly my Tello

Work for Android device only via OTG cable but not with OEM Tello App. (work with aTelloPilot App)

OEM Tello App support BT connection only currently.
Thanks for the answer JasonMC.

I’m going to wait till there’s an iOS otg cable controller and compatible app. I’ve considered the gamevice controller but don’t want to keep exposing my iPhone XR to the risk of drops by having to remove the case to connect them.

I would prefer using a dedicated controller but using an iPad will have to do for now.

Have a great day

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Repiv