Hello Tello Pilot!
Join our DJI Tello community & remove this banner.

LEGO Onboard Xiaomi Repeater mod

raulvolador

Reaction score
As you know, it's possible to use a couple of Xiaomi repeaters. First Xiaomi Repeater stays on the ground, close to smartphone, second Xiaomi Repeater its onBoard atached flying Tello.

Some time ago I post this mod Xiaomi Repeater onBoard Tello mod now I'm glad to present you this upgraded version.

First part video is a how-to video tutorial:

Second video is a detailed explanation and flying test: (NEW)

Credits to @Customerx, @ph2t and @Stele

This mod is a quick snap-on tool for upgrading Tello's range and video quality. Very interesting for high interference/urban areas. It can be mounted/taking appart in seconds. Only drawback it's loss of autonomy due increased weight and a little windsail effect.

INSTRUCTIONS:

First of all you will need to open first Xiaomi Repeater. A bit of brute force needed as no screws presented. Tools used were a knife and a screwdriver. At the end you will get internal pcb, usb wired connector and two plastic case halves (click over every image to view full-size)

5-.jpg

Weld a pair of cables for electrical feeding

6-soldadura 20190801_224656.jpg

Get a Tello Lego adapter

7-pgytech-tello-adaptor-for-toys-p5105-9280_medium.jpg

A single two by two lego block needed

8-lego block grey.jpg

Glue Lego block to tello adapter to back xiaomi board

9-20190808_174810.jpg

You will need a micro USB OTG angled cable

10-61Mhwmb1JlL._AC_UL436_.jpg

Cut and remove USB conector. Weld positive and negative cables.

cut and remove.jpg

Keep in place using hot glue

hot glue.jpg

Xiaomi board must be protected using heat shrink tube

14-heat shrink tube.jpg

And, here we are:

1-20190810_123333.jpg

Power on Tello and using free Android MI app connect your onboard Xiaomi repeater to Tello. It will be shown into your smartphone available Wifi screen as TELLO_plus. Power on ground Xiaomi repeater and connect it to Xiaomi onBoard. It will be shown as TELLO_plus_plus, that's the network you should connect for flight.

Be aware flying time reduced about twenty percent. From twelve to eight minutes.

Beware strong winds as this mod will work as a windsail

Have fun !

Last edited:
Hi,

Yesterday I tested again onBoard mod.

I got an incredible 250 meters range at full 4mbps hight quality image.

Take into account I flew in a well-know place where max flight range (no onboard mod) use to be about 150 meters.

See image attached:

tello onboard mod test.jpg

Unfortunatelly battery drain it's bigger than I thought. I only got a 7 minutes flight. That's about a 40% less flight time :(

I am planning to mount a micro 4k cam i guess i will try to use this OTG power method.

I am planning to mount a micro 4k cam i guess i will try to use this OTG power method.
Believe you had been looking at the Firefly 4K split cam. If so, the specs calls for 200mA @ 12V (2S-6S LiPos). The Tello battery is only rated @ 3.87V (1S I believe).

Would think the power plant and the associated weight would be the challenge.

Reactions: xcrost
Believe you had been looking at the Firefly 4K split cam. If so, the specs calls for 200mA @ 12V (2S-6S LiPos). The Tello battery is only rated @ 3.87V (1S I believe).

Would think the power plant and the associated weight would be the challenge.

I am planning to add an external battery. Let's see.

Look forward to this experiment. Just note that combined battery + cam weight should not exceed 60 grams otherwise flight dynamics will be degraded.

Camera weight is 19gm
battery weight is approx 8gm so it will be not even more then 30gm

@RRR

Quite interesting...
Do you have a link to the battery spec?

I am not sure about battery if it will work or not. I got advice from a Youtuber. I am still not sure if it's the correct one or not. Check it here if it's fine

@RRR

That battery would not meet or exceed the specs on the camera you're considering. Believe you were looking at this product in your earlier postings:
You need a battery rated per below with matching connectors to the cam.

1568207238206.png

@RRR

That battery would not meet or exceed the specs on the camera you're considering. Believe you were looking at this product in your earlier postings:
You need a battery rated per below with matching connectors to the cam.

View attachment 4598
12V? I am not getting this.

Do you think that using Tello battery with OTG will work?

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Repiv