Hello Tello Pilot!
Join our DJI Tello community & remove this banner.

Sudden failure

ihf

Reaction score
Had my first sudden complete failure...Tello was 50 ft away and it just dropped to the ground from 7 ft or so. Battery was at ~40%. There was no warning and it functioned normally afterward. Has this happened to others? I guess if it happens again I ought to think about returning it.

It happened to me just once, fortunately I was flying at about 2m then. No problems since then, and it was... hm, about TelloFPV version 0.6, I don't remember more exact date, so some time has passed since then.

Hm, I see you ware flying at about 7ft, approximately the same flight level... interesting if there is any association. Isn't it the border when Tello starts to fly slower, enforced by firmware? Maybe a FW bug?

hi
It happens to me twice. First time about 1m height, second time just after enter my apartement window, could be a fall of 30m, fortunately it was a fall of 1,5m
What can be the problem? In my case, battery was still ok and tello just stop the motors and fall like a rock, no warnings!!!

Reactions: jvhooser
Nop.....out of window, out of apartement, 10 floors to the ground more or less 30m fall, fortunely it had just enter inside the apartement by the window when tello stop all motors and it was just a fall of 2m. Good Luck tello had.

All failures happened at around ~2m altitude? Maybe they managed to introduce a new bug with the latest firmware.
I don't fly enough lately to experience this, just short hops when developing.

As for TelloFpv 0.6, no clue what the question was about but that version was release 20th Dec and IIRC correctly expired on 25th Dec. It was replaced on 22nd by v0.7

It was no question, just an attempt to place the event in time. Frequent releases of TelloFPV make it good time marker ;)

I have 3 Tellos and have most likely more total flight time than anybody else Ryze excluded (mostly boring hover and lurking around the office while testing). I have never experienced a plain failure. Not saying it can't happen but seems to be rare.

Once for me so far. Was hovering over grass at about 0.4m height steadily. Just dropped out the air like a rock while I was trying to pose for the video. Fresh battery. No idea what happened but it could be scary in the right situation. Using official app, 1.04.78.01 firmware and t1d controller on an iPhone X.

One more fall now. Second incident. about 1.5m above my bed. Dropped like a rock. Sent no command prior. Was able to turn on and fly again immediately. Ryze support said from experience ppl had this issue when they charged under amperage. 1.5 A for tello and 2A for official battery hub. I don't buy that bs and I asked for further investigation. I did charge under amerage but all my batteries completed charging procedure normally be it in the hub or tello.

Lame excuse. Whatever it is this has nothing to do with charging. "under amperage" charging is good up to some point, it does less harm than high amp charging, and saturates the lipo better.

I always charge batteries in Tello, with the same charger, rated 1.5A. But I had the fall once, so at least it's not the only reason.

Thank you for providing the valuable info to invalidating Ryze's speculation.

Lame excuse. Whatever it is this has nothing to do with charging. "under amperage" charging is good up to some point, it does less harm than high amp charging, and saturates the lipo better.
Ya would like to think so. Assuming my adapter (total of 2.4A) gives 1.2A to the hub and drone. The batteries charging procedures always completed normally. Under amperage (not too low) seem to charge just fine. I start flying with full capacity all the time as indicated by the official app. I saw this post mentioning error code 13 popping up when the fall occurs. Mine did not prompt any error both times the fall occurred and I could restart and fly immediately.

For an error code to show up the drone must identify the problem, put the sticker "13" to it, save that sticker to its internal logfile, which is batched for a few ms (IIRC it every 200ms) and then sent to the phone. In the meantime some other circuit or routine might have decided to cut power immediately.

Sometimes error message will just not make it to your phone.

You might find evidence of the problem in the logfiles (like quickly dropping voltage levels), but to dissect them is a bit effort.

For an error code to show up the drone must identify the problem, put the sticker "13" to it, save that sticker to its internal logfile, which is batched for a few ms (IIRC it every 200ms) and then sent to the phone. In the meantime some other circuit or routine might have decided to cut power immediately.

Sometimes error message will just not make it to your phone.

You might find evidence of the problem in the logfiles (like quickly dropping voltage levels), but to dissect them is a bit effort.
How to extract and read log file of tello on official app?

The info how to do this is spread over a few threads in this forum. I think here is also a YT video how to do this but I never checked it out.
I don't care, I don't use that app anymore .

The info how to do this is spread over a few threads in this forum. I think here is also a YT video how to do this but I never checked it out.
I don't care, I don't use that app anymore .
Thx. Will check it out.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Repiv