Hello Tello Pilot!
Join our DJI Tello community & remove this banner.

Tello Iron Man better in Low Light than normal Tello

gabe.logan

Reaction score
Hello,
i have a Tello Iron Man and a normal Tello. In low light (warning on phone app) my Iron Man Tello is hovering very well in one place. Same light and warning with normal Tello, the Tello starts to drift off. Has anybody else encountered this? Is the Iron Man better in low light or what could be the problem woth the normal Tello?
Thank you!

Well it is kinda tello dependent. One of my tellos has the same thing. Its completely normal

Wysłane z mojego SM-G930F przy użyciu Tapatalka

Ryze changed something about a year ago. Since then all Tellos I bought had problems to fly in artificial light.

i see, so best to find a tello that is older than a year? What could be different?
Iron Man ist staying right on spot in almost all kinds of conditions in normal tello app too, whereas the normal tello flyes araound a bit to see where its at !

New ones loose VPS in my office all the time and have a hard time to get a position fix even in good light. If the sun is up no problem but I am a night owl...
The older ones just sit there and hover for minutes in the same spot.

I read a few reports like this. Myself I ordered 4 or 5 over the last year and they all suffered from the same problem so i returned them all but one which is now my main crash & test tello (I'd like to keep the good ones in pristine condition)

Maybe I should try the EDU or iron man versions.

I guess they either changed the bottom camera for some cheaper model. I tried to discuss this with support but just like before they treated me like an idiot.

Reactions: Fari
Yeah, same like me, I like to use it also in night time.
shame on these who didnt believe you! I can confirm that the iron man from day one, in low light, with the warning and in daytime without warning stayed solid in one spot.
It would be interesting if you try the Iron Man to see if you have the same luck, because I bought it new and just got it.
in exactly the same conditions the normal tello drifted pretty much.
I just could do (read it in the forum) create a more contrasty setting under it and than it hoovered right on the spot also.
So there is no denying that there has to be a major difference, even if nobody at Ryze confirms this (I asked them and they said they do not know why the iron mn behavens different... )
So I guess I have to get rid of the normal tello and find an older one or just buy another Iron Man. The app is much better anyway with the bars for battery charge etc. I mean in normal daylight the drone should hover at one place no matter what!
(for comparing both drones I used the regular tello app, not iron man)

Hello, my old Tellos are the best too!
This problem is already a lot here.

Gabe.logan How new is your normal Tello, can you name the serial number? If it's new, Ryze Robotics still hasn't fixed the problem, and I've been in contact with service.

Very sad, she probably doesn't need it, and I won't buy a new Tello anymore.

Strangely enough, Amazon-D no longer carries Tello itself, only other retailers.

All the best

Last edited:
Hello Volate! Lo,
I have been following the discussion about the Tellos that have gotten “worse” for a long time and have had the same experience.
Now the thought occurred to me whether a better camera might be built into the "Tello EDU" because of your additional programming option.

Is the TelloFPV app compatible with the Tello EDU?
Thanks and regards

TelloFpv runs equally on standard, edu, iron man edition

Could be that edu has a better camera, as it has these mission pads .

Reactions: Bruchpilot
Edu has in fact, a better camera because it needs to be more precise

Sorry but i live in poland and its 11pm and i wont be able to talk

please share details about the camera specifications, photos, etc
I cannot remember that anyone has ever reported hardware differences between standard and edu. So if there is a difference now this would indicate that the standard version has been modified by Ryze

Oh ok i will try. I just know this from experience of repairing these drones and that the edu has bigger sensors. I will try to find a photo

with the sensor it would make sense, can anyone confirm that the Iron Mans have the same sensors? Did anybody have problems with the iton man ?
The normal Tello hovers very well if i create high contrast setting under it , otherwise no,
the serial number is:
0TQDG5NEUBZ6X6
iron man is:
0TQDG3KIPBW808
it would make sense for Iron Man to have better sensors as it was developed by stark industires and has to avoid missiles :))))))))))

• Haha
Reactions: akward59
Hi there & gabe.logan,

Old Tellos fly on an indoor test track TOP, no error message, these are the good ones :):
0TQDFCCEUBY8xx
0TQDG36EUBYYxx
0TQDG3PEUB4Gxx
0TQDG3PEUBH5xx

Under the same conditions, new Tellos stagger as if they were drunk, are difficult to control, error message "Visual positioning not available land immediately", these are the bad ones :mad::
0TQDG6MEUB30xx
0TQZGAHEU001xx
0TQZGC3EU000xx

It is noticeable that the errors only occur with higher serial numbers, despite the same FW.
All 3 new purchases went back to the dealer, I have now given up getting a new, well-functioning normal Tello for my children.
Therefore I just bought an old Tello with a low serial number as above and a new Tello EDU on ebay, I will test it and continue to report here.

Best regards

Last edited:
Reactions: volate!lo
Yes Bruchpilot,
from the numbers it makes totally sense, even if the Iron Man is brand new it has the sam 0TQDG3xxx number wheras the normal Tello has the new number. Than the only solution would buy a used one with old number like you did. I am curious how this works out!
Customer Service knew nothing about it, only that Tello has to be stable outside in bright light (which it does) :-(

Yes Bruchpilot,
from the numbers it makes totally sense, even if the Iron Man is brand new it has the sam 0TQDG3xxx number wheras the normal Tello has the new number. Than the only solution would buy a used one with old number like you did. I am curious how this works out!
Customer Service knew nothing about it, only that Tello has to be stable outside in bright light (which it does) :-(
Mine fall into the same number categories.
Good ones are
0TQDF...
0TQDG...

Bad ones are
0TQZG...

Seems we have a pattern here.
I'll try to source "old" ones on ebay.

I'd love to hear about the findings with the EDU and Iron Man editions.

Maybe we should move this discussion to the official FB group to raise a bit more attention.
However I don't think this will lead anywhere. I guess Ryze will not acknowledge such issues exist.
I contacted Ryze customer service in early 2020 when these problems started to occur. Well, they treated me like an idiot.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Repiv