Hello Tello Pilot!
Join our DJI Tello community & remove this banner.

Tello. Whats possible?

Thank you BlueJune,
I tried your updated code.
Unfortunately it does not improve the quality issue. My BT was turned off. There is a lot of WiFi interference in my house, but when I use the phone app the video quality is better than that. There may be some missing/extra bytes in the binary output file. Maybe the SPS info should be resent periodicaly or we should set a coding rate like deadprogram suggested here.

I'm having a lot of fun.

Hugh
SPS request packet is sent periodically (every 1sec) in the timerTask.
And I have no video quality issue like your screenshot with updated codes.

###############################################################################
# timerTask
###############################################################################
def _timerTask(self, arg):
self._sendCmd(0x60, self.TELLO_CMD_STICK, None)
self.rcCtr = self.rcCtr + 1
#every 1sec
if self.rcCtr % 50 == 0:
self._sendCmd(0x60, self.TELLO_CMD_REQ_VIDEO_SPS_PPS, None)

Hi all,

I would really appreciate some help in order to be able to run one of @bluejune python scripts. I have a Mac with both Python 2.7 and 3.6 installed.

My question Is how do I connect the Mac with the Tello. All I have to do is connect the mac's wifi to the Tello hotspot? How can I know that the Tello.py script was scuccesfully executed?

BTW, python3 produces the following error:

PingguSoft-pytello-09d98e0e1646 ktsi$ python3 tello.py

File "tello.py", line 207

print '0x' + format(buf, '02x') + ',',

^

SyntaxError: invalid syntax

Python 2 seems to run the script but I have no idea if it has indeed run or not.

Thanks a lot

Last edited:
Hi all,

I would really appreciate some help in order to be able to run one of @bluejune python scripts. I have a Mac with both Python 2.7 and 3.6 installed.

My question Is how do I connect the Mac with the Tello. All I have to do is connect the mac's wifi to the Tello hotspot? How can I know that the Tello.py script was scuccesfully executed?

BTW, python3 produces the following error:

PingguSoft-pytello-09d98e0e1646 ktsi$ python3 tello.py

File "tello.py", line 207

print '0x' + format(buf, '02x') + ',',

^

SyntaxError: invalid syntax

Python 2 seems to run the script but I have no idea if it has indeed run or not.

Thanks a lot

I got it to run on python 2.7 on my Mac last night. Connected on wifi to the Tello hotspot. You can tell when it runs, as I was able to control it with the keyboard and it will print out messages in the console.

I did have to download a keyboard module and I placed the folder for it in the same folder as the Tello scripts. You need to execute the "run.py" script.

keyboard

I haven't had a chance to test the height limit yet, but hopefully will tonight if the new propellers come today, as I busted them all playing in sport mode...:(

Reactions: trelo
I got it to run on python 2.7 on my Mac last night. Connected on wifi to the Tello hotspot. You can tell when it runs, as I was able to control it with the keyboard and it will print out messages in the console.

I did have to download a keyboard module and I placed the folder for it in the same folder as the Tello scripts. You need to execute the "run.py" script.

keyboard

I haven't had a chance to test the height limit yet, but hopefully will tonight if the new propellers come today, as I busted them all playing in sport mode...:(

Thanks for getting back. Can you please please please paste the commands you are running? Do you first open python console?

What I did was open terminal and then run “python tello.py” because all I am interested in is to change max height.

Thanks for getting back. Can you please please please paste the commands you are running? Do you first open python console?

What I did was open terminal and then run “python tello.py” because all I am interested in is to change max height.
Run "python run.py" in the terminal.
If the keyboard module is not installed on your pc, run "pip install keyboard"

Reactions: DocM and trelo

Does the run.py script bring up it’s own console? I have run the python tello.py command. Could it already be okay?

All I want is to change the max height.

In my case, also on a Mac running the latest OS, I needed to first
pip install keyboard
and then
pip install pyobjc-framework-Quartz

Otherwise I get an error that Quartz is a missing dependency.

Then I could run it but only when running with administrator privileges via sudo

I am not near my Tello right now, so I can't actually attempt to fly it.

In my case, also on a Mac running the latest OS, I needed to first
pip install keyboard
and then
pip install pyobjc-framework-Quartz

Otherwise I get an error that Quartz is a missing dependency.

Then I could run it but only when running with administrator privileges via sudo

I am not near my Tello right now, so I can't actually attempt to fly it.

for some reason I couldn't get the "pip install keyboard" command to run (terminal didn't recognize it). I'll be honest in that I really don't do much programming, just know a little, hence my workaround with downloading the modules i linked in my prior post after some googling...

I think i did run it with sudo privileges after getting an error about that... my python version is 2.7.10 straight out of the default mac os x install... never came across a quartz dependency though...

Reactions: jjs357
for some reason I couldn't get the "pip install keyboard" command to run (terminal didn't recognize it). I'll be honest in that I really don't do much programming, just know a little, hence my workaround with downloading the modules i linked in my prior post after some googling...

I think i did run it with sudo privileges after getting an error about that... my python version is 2.7.10 straight out of the default mac os x install... never came across a quartz dependency though...
I do a fair amount of programming in various languages including python. I use the Mac OS X package manager homebrew for a lot of programmer bits. Using homebrew I have both Python 2.7.14 and 3.6.4 installed and with the python manager pyenv (also from homebrew) I can switch between them.

I guess the Built-In Mac Python has its own set of issues, like pip not working for you. But that Quartz bit was missing for me but a google search led me to a solution. I will try with the Tello this evening to see if I can get it into the air and under control with this package from bluejune.

Hi deadprogram, I'm having some trouble changing the video output from mplayer to gocv so I can do image tracking.
Here is my main function, but I am not correctly converting the image data from the drone to an opencv mat. What is the correct way to do this?
Code:
func main() {

drone := tello.NewDriver("8890")

window := gocv.NewWindow("Hello")
    img := gocv.NewMat()

work := func() {

drone.On(tello.ConnectedEvent, func(data interface{}) {
            fmt.Println("Connected")
            drone.StartVideo()
            drone.SetVideoEncoderRate(4)
            gobot.Every(100*time.Millisecond, func() {
                drone.StartVideo()
            })
        })

drone.On(tello.VideoFrameEvent, func(data interface{}) {
            pkt := data.([]byte)
            img = gocv.IMDecode(pkt, 0)
            window.IMShow(img)
            window.WaitKey(1)
        })
    }

robot := gobot.NewRobot("tello",
        []gobot.Connection{},
        []gobot.Device{drone},
        work,
    )

robot.Start()
}
Take look at this example, which I think should do exactly what you want:

hybridgroup/gobot

I have successful applied the height limit hack. Needed to use a PC because my Mac (not latest OSX version) had trouble with tls connection to python package directory and could not install the keyboard plugin.

Many mana thanks to @bluejune! You sir are a hero. I always wanted to bypas the 10m height limit.

BTW I have seen that there is a new for more available. Will upgrading the firmware kill the hack?

Last edited:
@bluejune How set "speed mode" in your python code? Or what is maximum value "RC_VAL_MAX"
and sometimes have this error
Code:
Exception in thread Thread-3:
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "C:\Python27\lib\threading.py", line 801, in __bootstrap_inner
    self.run()
  File "C:\Python27\lib\threading.py", line 754, in run
    self.__target(*self.__args, **self.__kwargs)
  File "C:\Users\Artrix\Desktop\iArtrix-pytello-a24bdd4de715\tello.py", line 411, in _threadVideoRX
    sockVideo.bind(addrVideo)
  File "C:\Python27\lib\socket.py", line 228, in meth
    return getattr(self._sock,name)(*args)
error: [Errno 10049] The requested address is not valid in its context

I have successful applied the height limit hack. Needed to use a PC because my Mac (not latest OSX version) had trouble with tls connection to python package directory and could not install the keyboard plugin.

Many mana thanks to @bluejune! You sir are a hero. I always wanted to bypas the 10m height limit.

BTW I have seen that there is a new for more available. Will upgrading the firmware kill the hack?

yes, it did reset the height limit after upgrading the firmware... but you can just run the script again...

Reactions: trelo
yes, it did reset the height limit after upgrading the firmware... but you can just run the script again...

So have you done that? Can you please confirm that after upgrading to latest FW the max height hack is still valid?

Thanks

Thanks for getting back! I will update and then re apply hack.

Have you tested the range with the new FW?

Hello, I'am new in the TelloVersum, my Name is Michael and i come from Germany. My englisch isn´t perfect but i believe i can understandably express ;-)

For those who struggle with the installation of the "Keyboard" Module like me.
When on Windows , please install Python 2.7 Python 3 won´t work while the Syntax has changed in some cases.
Once you installed the Python 2.7, CMD to the programm dircetory/scripts an execute "pip install keyboard" not in the python console like i have done and failed :).
After this you can proceed running the script an get rid of the 10m limit.

P.s. Thanks for the unbelivable work on decipher and research of the "miracle Tello firmware" until now. Be curious what features will be dicsovered in future.

so long
Michael

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Clubfooted