Hello Tello Pilot!
Join our DJI Tello community & remove this banner.

TelloFPV - The app for Tello FPV, Photo, Video

Been away from Tello and this community since last Nov, really harsh winter here and today noticed the wonderful new TelloMe.

cant wait to try and purchase.

question: I have a android phone specifically for telloFPV.My daily phone is iPhone, could I purchase it from iOS and unlock the full version for both iOS and Android or do I need to buy both? (Is it linked to Apple/Google Id, or some email so that I can buy once and restore purchase from the other platform.) I don’t mind buying twice but just want to confirm before purchase at both places. Also is iPhone 8 Plus and Huawei p10 powerful enough for the TelloMe, I would imagine the follow me need some powerful hardware for image processing? Thank you.

thank you again and really appreciate all the work. It takes the small tello to the next level and my neighbour with mavic mini is really impressed with the work done in the app! It brought a lot of fun for me and my kid during this Covid lockdown

Last edited:
Been away from Tello and this community since last Nov, really harsh winter here and today noticed the wonderful new TelloMe.

cant wait to try and purchase.

question: I have a android phone specifically for telloFPV.My daily phone is iPhone, could I purchase it from iOS and unlock the full version for both iOS and Android or do I need to buy both? (Is it linked to Apple/Google Id, or some email so that I can buy once and restore purchase from the other platform.) I don’t mind buying twice but just want to confirm before purchase at both places. Also is iPhone 8 Plus and Huawei p10 powerful enough for the TelloMe, I would imagine the follow me need some powerful hardware for image processing? Thank you.

thank you again and really appreciate all the work. It takes the small tello to the next level and my neighbour with mavic mini is really impressed with the work done in the app! It brought a lot of fun for me and my kid during this Covid lockdown
There is no connection between apple and android apps. The platforms don't support that.
I'd have to implement and run my own infrastructure servers, which is a best practicefor multi million dollar apps but not for a tiny niche app. Just the legal security implications for storing personal data are mind blowing.

The Iphone 8 will work well, my test device is a 6s.
The Huawei probably not as well. But you can download and test this one for free. If the test results shown are no at least 9fps I'd suggest to use the Iphone app instead.

But: Both are different apps. They look almost the same, but have slightly different tracking abilities (IOS can follow a visual pattern / object where Android can only follow face and person).

There is no connection between apple and android apps. The platforms don't support that.
I'd have to implement and run my own infrastructure servers, which is a best practicefor multi million dollar apps but not for a tiny niche app. Just the legal security implications for storing personal data are mind blowing.

The Iphone 8 will work well, my test device is a 6s.
The Huawei probably not as well. But you can download and test this one for free. If the test results shown are no at least 9fps I'd suggest to use the Iphone app instead.

But: Both are different apps. They look almost the same, but have slightly different tracking abilities (IOS can follow a visual pattern / object where Android can only follow face and person).

Thank you for the reply. Purchased iOS version last night and worked like a charm. Really loved it. I will probably try android as well.
Small thought: while tracking, can we add
an option to keep the controller and intervene/adjust the position if we spot it will hit some thing (and then automatically quit tracking) only tried indoor last night but had a few times when tracking me it back onto the wall and “stop” didn’t prevent it from fly into the object quick enough (I guess the TelloMe is supposed to use in an open area open door)

thanks again for the wonderful app!

Thank you for the reply. Purchased iOS version last night and worked like a charm. Really loved it. I will probably try android as well.
Small thought: while tracking, can we add
an option to keep the controller and intervene/adjust the position if we spot it will hit some thing (and then automatically quit tracking) only tried indoor last night but had a few times when tracking me it back onto the wall and “stop” didn’t prevent it from fly into the object quick enough (I guess the TelloMe is supposed to use in an open area open door)

thanks again for the wonderful app!
That is like a "spotlight" mode overriding the normal tracking. Might be a pretty smart idea but could also turn out to be not so smart, depending on the tracking mode currently active.. I will need to think about this a bit

That is like a "spotlight" mode overriding the normal tracking. Might be a pretty smart idea but could also turn out to be not so smart, depending on the tracking mode currently active.. I will need to think about this a bit
Yup. I agree it could go both way.

That’s why I mentioned adding an option to user can choose in settings so they know what to expect, depends on their surroundings and preference. Say if one is operating like I did last night indoor or if above water/with strong wind, they may want to turn it on and have more control/faster access to adjust the position frequently and resume tracking once done; if one is wide open and perfect situation, maybe just leave everything to the tracking algorithm.

I am not sure the mode used for tracking and if one can choose (video vs sport) - “stop”/“break” in different mode is responding differently, so that could be a factor as well; plus the signal delay, e.g. otg wired Controller is responding faster than wifi app control, and wifi control is faster than BT T1d, as well as the hardware speed when processing dsp and respond

That’s why I mentioned adding an option to user can choose in settings so they know what to expect, depends on their surroundings and preference. Say if one is operating like I did last night indoor or if above water/with strong wind, they may want to turn it on and have more control/faster access to adjust the position frequently and resume tracking once done; if one is wide open and perfect situation, maybe just leave everything to the tracking algorithm.
I need to think this through, as I learned the hard way that too many options confuse users which causes overflow in my "Inbox". Actually there are a couple of features I should have never released publicly (vGPS for example, also Copilot is cool for some power users but too complex for the average user)

I am not sure the mode used for tracking and if one can choose (video vs sport) - “stop”/“break” in different mode is responding differently, so that could be a factor as well; plus the signal delay, e.g. otg wired Controller is responding faster than wifi app control, and wifi control is faster than BT T1d, as well as the hardware speed when processing dsp and respond

TelloMe can only do video mode. Sport mode would switch off the image stabilization required for processing the video feed.

Wifi / BT have no impact on response times as we are talking about 5ms probably, something no human can notice.
The only exception:
Tello wifi interferes with a BT controller, in which case controller packages can get lost. Now Controllers send their data packages only when a change in stick positions happens - and resends the last position periodically every 100ms or so (depends on the controller). If one or two BT packages are lost in transit this could lead to a delay of several 100 milliseconds.

I need to think this through, as I learned the hard way that too many options confuse users which causes overflow in my "Inbox". Actually there are a couple of features I should have never released publicly (vGPS for example, also Copilot is cool for some power users but too complex for the average user)

TelloMe can only do video mode. Sport mode would switch off the image stabilization required for processing the video feed.

Wifi / BT have no impact on response times as we are talking about 5ms probably, something no human can notice.
The only exception:
Tello wifi interferes with a BT controller, in which case controller packages can get lost. Now Controllers send their data packages only when a change in stick positions happens - and resends the last position periodically every 100ms or so (depends on the controller). If one or two BT packages are lost in transit this could lead to a delay of several 100 milliseconds.

Thanks again for the responsive clarification and walked me thru on the details about delay.

I only used my in app control on TelloMe last night for 20mins without Mi extender on iPhone so can’t say what impact an controller may bring in. On Android I did noticed what you described with T1d Bluetooth (in TelloFPV):
1. delay - when flying fast and trying to hit stop without sticks, I noticed some delay and the drone may hit on obstacles
2. interference - it lost connection completely and dropped from 10 ft above to the ground twice.
With OTG this issues are not observed.

Plus I noticed a way more frequent overheat warning, I thought it was both due to the recent firmware upgrade, good to know the interference may cause connection lost.

I would assume this would be a concern when processing the image as well.

I hear you and agree for the balance, as the target users are general users for entertainment, and for a paid app customers would have a higher expectation even if sometimes “issues” are caused by user’s configuration/incorrect operation. Some trade off needs to be made - highly reviewed/successful products normally is user friendly and stable, and usually would not be the most powerful/customizable one.

personally, I don’t even mind in app purchase or even subscription for additional cool features that need additional configuration and may not be most stable (perhaps people would complaint it is too much too greedy, so enable it free of charge by choosing beta features/hidden menu like you did for edu ip?), I guess it just needs a way of manage the expectations and differentiate users.

Thank you again for the info and both great apps produced, keep up with the good work! Looking forward to having more fun during this Covid with the nice app and drone
Take care and stay safe!

Last edited:
Thanks again for the responsive clarification and walked me thru on the details about delay.

I only used my in app control on TelloMe last night for 20mins without Mi extender on iPhone so can’t say what impact an controller may bring in. On Android I did noticed what you described with T1d Bluetooth (in TelloFPV):
1. delay - when flying fast and trying to hit stop without sticks, I noticed some delay and the drone may hit on obstacles
2. interference - it lost connection completely and dropped from 10 ft above to the ground twice.
With OTG this issues are not observed.

Plus I noticed a way more frequent overheat warning, I thought it was both due to the recent firmware upgrade, good to know the interference may cause connection lost.

I would assume this would be a concern when processing the image as well.

I hear you and agree for the balance, as the target users are general users for entertainment, and for a paid app customers would have a higher expectation even if sometimes “issues” are caused by user’s configuration/incorrect operation. Some trade off needs to be made - highly reviewed/successful products normally is user friendly and stable, and usually would not be the most powerful/customizable one.

personally, I don’t even mind in app purchase or even subscription for additional cool features that need additional configuration and may not be most stable (perhaps people would complaint it is too much too greedy, so enable it free of charge by choosing beta features/hidden menu like you did for edu ip?), I guess it just needs a way of manage the expectations and differentiate users.

Thank you again for the info and both great apps produced, keep up with the good work! Looking forward to having more fun during this Covid with the nice app and drone
Take care and stay safe!

Tello should never overheat while in the air. If it does something is wrong.
The controller has 100% nothing to do with overheating. Also Tello should never drop from the sky, but this can happen if it overheats (if the overheat warning comes its already too late, meaning that the shutdown process has already started)

Sounds like your Tello has some thermal issues. There has been reports of some Tello lacking thermal grease which caused Tello to drop like a stone.

Tello should never overheat while in the air. If it does something is wrong.
The controller has 100% nothing to do with overheating. Also Tello should never drop from the sky, but this can happen if it overheats (if the overheat warning comes its already too late, meaning that the shutdown process has already started)

Sounds like your Tello has some thermal issues. There has been reports of some Tello lacking thermal grease which caused Tello to drop like a stone.
Thanks for the heads up. Searched some thread and noticed someone saying
Tello overheats if it stays still for a few minutes ... this is normal,”

Which might be my case, as I left it there for long time with power on to reconfigure mi extender/wifi/connecting and mapping to controller. So I guess it was long time standby caused overheat, plus the BT controller which made it drop from sky.

Will keep monitoring and see how it works next time when I directly fly it, with and w/o otg

Last edited:
i have been using the Tello FPV since having my tello.. i didn't even try to maximize the demo but immediately purchased the app. I wonder though why the Tello Me app is not integrated in the TelloFPV app?

too many features of TelloFpv mess with the video quality and stabilization, both are required for computer vision.

Also most TelloFpv users would be unable to use these features, as their phones are too weak for computer vision.

I've been reading the TelloFPV manual and setting up a controller and would like to make the following observations.

1) Orbit is described in the manual and available in the on-screen controller via the autopilot drop-down menu but is not available as an option in the controller mapping.

2) The manual describes a Video 360 mode which I assume is the same as Pano 360 available in the autopilot menu and mapping options. Perhaps the name changed at some time in the past?

3) Why is Headless mode so called? I'm trying to get my head around what it does but the name seems unintuitive to me - but maybe it's because I'm a pedantic aging old curmudgeon and not a bright young millennial!

1) my mistake!
2) pano360 creates a number of photos that can be stitched together I to a panorama. This can only be invoked from photo mode. Video360 makes a a slow 360 degree video and ca only be invoked from video mode
3) no clue who invented this term. It has been around for a few years. Headless simply locks the direction, so pitch forward remains forward as it is when headless is activated. even after you rotate the drone forward still points in the same direction.
There is an option for dynamic headless, in which case pitch back always means 'back to the home point'

I belong to Gen X so more a grumpy old man than a millennial :)

Reactions: agraham
I've been playing with headless mode - which makes some things a lot easier as it is difficult to tell which way the Tello is facing from the ground. Several related suggestions now follow!

1) Is it possible to have an 'Automatic Yaw' mode when in headless mode? When engaged this would let you yaw the Tello when it is hovering but as soon as it is moving above some threshold speed the Tello would automatically yaw to face the direction of travel ignoring any manual yaw input.

2) If (1) is possible add it to the controller configuration options.

3) Add the ability to switch headless mode on and off to the controller configuration options.

4) Add the ability to switch headless relative mode on and off to the controller configuration options.

And finally a reiteration of something has been noted and acknowledged in a previous post.

5) Add the Orbit mode to the controller configuration options.

1) Just thinking this might be very confusing for most users. Some will think the yaw axis just does not work
2) that would not be a problem
3) should already be available, no?
4) good idea
5) ack

1) Just thinking this might be very confusing for most users. Some will think the yaw axis just does not work
They don't have to use it if they don't want it. :) Seriously though, it seems to me more intuitive that the drone faces in the direction of flight though I am probably mapping my flight simulator expectation onto the drone.

3) should already be available, no?
Yes! What was I thinking of? I can't remember now. :( Senior moment I guess.

Love the app, purchased both FPV and TelloMe.

Sad today... updated my Samsung Note 10 to the latest Verizon release (11), and it broke two things: The Rhyze app no longer shows video (who cares, don't use it anyway), and Tello FPV won't connect to the Parrot Flypad any more.

It finds it when searching for a controller, but selecting the flypad for either master or student will not connect.

As an Android developer myself, I understand how difficult fixing this is if you don't have the device and/or can't reproduce the problem. Sadly, until this is (ever) fixed, either by the next system update, or by @volate!lo , the Tello will be gathering dust -- I just can't meaningfully control an aircraft from screen "sticks". There's no fun in fast mode, and therefore no point.

@volate!lo I'm willing an eager to help by running an instrumented version of the app to collect data around the code that's trying to connect. If you want to spend the time, let me know.

@volate!lo justifying investing time in these sorts of things is a hard decision tree, if you're trying to get a return on the time you invest. The market is just too small.

In any case, I like the purchase-add-on model your using, it's a good way to get compensated for incremental effort. In that spirit, I'd off the idea that you add additional feature packages that can be added with in-app purchase, like the vGPS.

So, here are some interesting suggestions. I don't expect any of this to ever get done, but if it does, you've got one guaranteed buy already. Also, keep in mind it's well understood that the accuracy of these sorts of features is very limited, given lack of GPS positioning. Still, you've done an amazing job of squeezing as much out of the VPS as possible to simulate GPS positioning, and for a drone in this class, its more than good enough. With vGPS, it's even better.

So, some features that would be useful and fun with the Tello:

• Course Lock
  • Home Lock
  • Auto find and orbit subject after toss launch (TelloMe), radius and altitude (above toss height), and auto record on toss being settings. Yeah, it'll screw up sometimes and not find the subject, but it will also work some times too, and that will be and awesome "one-click" type of shot.
  • Going with the above automation, do the same for some of the typical autoshots: Dronie, Boomerang, Helix, etc. In TelloFPV, this feature could simply be the automation from the Home Point -- subject tracking isn't necessary. The idea is one could fire up the app, connect to the Tello, press a toss-quickshot button on the screen, and toss it -- the rest just happens. Great for a family day at the park picnic.
  • Autoconnect option. If the app is running, it takes control of wifi, disconnects, searches for the Tello, automatically connects. Probably can't get around need for root privileges to do this, so it's mostly a pipe dream.

Just thinking about ways to simplify using the Tello. Ultimately, it would be great to just take the Tello out, turn it on, wait until the status light shows it's connected, then toss it in the air and it does something good that you've preconfigured as a default. This is doable with a rooted phone (to control wifi) and a server component to app running in the background.

• (Pie in the sky) Forward collision avoidance. It would be very crude, but some limited functionality like this is doable with the machine vision capabilities already demonstrated in TelloMe.
Some of this (obstacle avoidance) is just fun dreaming... I sincerely doubt the effort to imlement it would in then end pay for itself in in-app purchase of the feature. So doing it I would guess is a labor of more than anything else.

Some of the others, like the toss-quickshots are using a control infrastructure already in place and actively in use, so it pretty much boils down to UI, and playback of a set of control inputs while monitoring virtual telemetry.

Anyway, just some free-thought on my part to share some ideas. Thanks for listening :cool:

Sorry, but that won't happen unless I take the wrong pill one day ;) Was red or blue the one to wake up? Haven't seen this movie for years.
Seriously: IOS is a totally different world. Development effort would be at least similar plus learning curve, with a much smaller user base.

My suggestion: get a used phone just for Tello. Can be one with some defects, just needs a good screen with decent PPI, full HD minimum so it can be used for VR goggles.
A used S4 with a SIM card defect costs 10-20 Euro and has more than enough juice for TelloFPV and a very nice screen.

Stock ROM Android 5.0 works, or get a phone with decent support from custom ROMs with LineageOS to get Android 8.

On a side note: My main test devices are Samsung S4 and S4 mini, both with fairly recent LineageOS.
Guess what, THERE NOW IS A TELLOFPV APP

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Repiv