Hello Tello Pilot!
Join our DJI Tello community & remove this banner.

TelloFPV - The app for Tello FPV, Photo, Video

Hello,
First of all great app.
Almost everything is working for me. I have just one little bug. The video aspect ratio is off and the picture is compressed.
I have a Galaxy S8 with Android 8.0

Is that a known issue or is there a fix?
If needed I can provide more information and a sample video.

Regards Stele
Not a bug - its a feature ;)
Depending on the camera and speed mode you use Tello sends different video dimensions. Other apps chose to add black bars, I chose to stretch the video instead. In other apps you don't notice as much as you have to open a menu to switch between modes, while TelloFpv does it on the fly.

I plan to make this (stretch / crop) a user choice in one of the next releases.

App purchased. video and camera works on my Cat S61 with oreo 8.1.0 Vids on my phone show a green bar in the preview thumbnail but play clearly and transfer to my PC without tissue. Charging battery for first outdoor flight hopefully in the next hour or so. Well done Volate!lo.

App purchased. video and camera works on my Cat S61 with oreo 8.1.0 Vids on my phone show a green bar in the preview thumbnail but play clearly and transfer to my PC without tissue. Charging battery for first outdoor flight hopefully in the next hour or so. Well done Volate!lo.
Could you upload a screenshot of the green bar issue? just the thumbnail is enough

is it possible to add other bluetooth controller (for example Xiaomi gamepad or PS DS4)? Would be great - many people would buy it for this feature.

Could you upload a screenshot of the green bar issue? just the thumbnail is enough
Nothing major, as I said when you go to play the video clip it plays without the green bar and its only on the video thumbnails.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20181227-170459.png
    Screenshot_20181227-170459.png
    791.8 KB · Views: 37
In the TelloFPV, the default mode to operate is the student mode. If you select the desired gamepad as the student mode, it will work.
As much as I understand, the Master (teacher) has always control over the Student, but the student has again control after 2 seconds of Master stopped to use his controller. The idea is to help when you are teaching someone to fly the Tello.
I connect the PS3 controller and TelloFPV says it is connected. I set the PS3 to be the Student controller. I connect the Tello and hit Start on the PS3 controller and nothing happens. Where am I going wrong or how to diagnose the problem?

Reactions: zesteves
is it possible to add other bluetooth controller (for example Xiaomi gamepad or PS DS4)? Would be great - many people would buy it for this feature.
Any gamepad controller that is recognized by Android should work. Just try it using any gamepad tester app.

I had a quick read on the two controllers you mentioned and from a first glance it appears both work with Android. You have to follow some device specific procedures (pressing buttons and such) but as soon as these are recognized in a gamepad tester app they should also be recognized by TelloFpv.
You may have to do a button & stick mapping.

I connect the PS3 controller and TelloFPV says it is connected. I set the PS3 to be the Student controller. I connect the Tello and hit Start on the PS3 controller and nothing happens. Where am I going wrong or how to diagnose the problem?

Please re-do the button & axis mapping. Most likely something is wrong in that area because the default mapping is not based on the PS3.

Any gamepad controller that is recognized by Android should work. Just try it using any gamepad tester app.

I had a quick read on the two controllers you mentioned and from a first glance it appears both work with Android. You have to follow some device specific procedures (pressing buttons and such) but as soon as these are recognized in a gamepad tester app they should also be recognized by TelloFpv.
You may have to do a button & stick mapping.

Please re-do the button & axis mapping. Most likely something is wrong in that area because the default mapping is not based on the PS3.

I tried to do that but nothing changes on that screen when I select a button. For example, the Takeoff button mapping says "Start" which I press and nothing happens. I then try to remap to the "Start" button and still it does nothing. If I try to map it to another button (e.g. "Select"), it still says "Start".

I tried to do that but nothing changes on that screen when I select a button. For example, the Takeoff button mapping says "Start" which I press and nothing happens. I then try to remap to the "Start" button and still it does nothing. If I try to map it to another button (e.g. "Select"), it still says "Start".
Please check if the controller is recognized correctly by android using this gamepad tester:
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=ru.elron.gamepadtester

TelloFpv will work if the controller works in this gamepad tester, buttons are recognized, and the sticks axes are listed as AXIS X, AXIS Y, AXIS Z, AXIS RZ.

Or maybe you fell into the same pitfall that happens to me: Often I forget to select the correct controller in the
"Controller settings => Mapping" screen.

All, I can see from the google play store that a few selected devices experience a random nasty error, i.e. a real app crash. Also one user of the DEMO version reported an in-flight crash of TelloFPV.

From what I can see the app crash does not seem to originate from TelloFpv code but from the low level video encoder.

Has anybody here experienced app crashes since v0.9 and can give details when/why? Any inflight crashes?

Maybe this will help somehow???

When i hooked my gamesir t1s up with the OTG (It worked)
when i hooked up the same controller through bluetooth (It worked)

But the weird thing was i have 2 different options for the same controller in the options menu.

Is that normal? First controller i have ever used for drones from this company.

All i know is i have to click the controller with the (2.13) in order to use it in OTG cable
and i have to choose the other one when flying with bluetooth.

Just trying to help everybody get the most out of this app if i can help :)

here is my screenshot so you can see (both options are for the same controller)
View attachment 2389
That is correct and there is nothing I can do to stop this.

From an Adnroid perspective you are using two different controllers: One USB controller, and another Bluetooth controller. These announce their presence: One says "I am Xiaoji Gamesir T1s 2.13 on USB port ABC" and the other one says "I am Gamesir T1s and my bluetooth address is XYZ".

Android doesn't know these two items are in fact the same controllers so I have no way of matching these two controllers.

In fact I have a controller that has a switch to change the way it talks to the phone. Even though this controller is one piece of hardware it has three different identities. Dr Jekyll and Mr Hyde.

Maybe this will help somehow???

When i hooked my gamesir t1s up with the OTG (It worked)
when i hooked up the same controller through bluetooth (It worked)

But the weird thing was i have 2 different options for the same controller in the options menu.

Is that normal? First controller i have ever used for drones from this company.

All i know is i have to click the controller with the (2.13) in order to use it in OTG cable
and i have to choose the other one when flying with bluetooth.

Just trying to help everybody get the most out of this app if i can help :)

here is my screenshot so you can see (both options are for the same controller)
View attachment 2389
@TelloPilot2019 can you be so kind, and give us a exact description of how you connect the T1s with bluetooth to the app. From when you open the app, and then all the steps ? I got it working in the demo mode, but after i bought the full version, sometimes i can connect, but then Tello just rises if i let go of the stick, i then have to pull all the way down just to stay in one place. If i then try to use the stock Tello app, my controller is all messed up. I then have to reset everything, then i can connect as normal to my stock Tello app. Try it again with TelloFPV, and all is screwed up again. Without controller, flying from the phone only, app works as advertised. I cant fly like that, need the controller to fly, like on normal rc. Thank you in advance :)

Tested DEMO version with Xiaomi Redmi Note 5 Plus, and Xiaomi Gamepad Bluetooth controller. Works great, i will surely buy the full version.

i have 2 different options for the same controller in the options menu.

Is that normal?

Normal yes... my T1s is listed same, except FW version is 2.14 on the wired entry.

Yesterday, just for kicks, i tried a Sony PS4 Wireless controller. It works BT and OTG, and also has two entries in TelloFPV. The sticks aren't nearly as smooth and precise as the T1s, but the video stream is not affected AT ALL when using it via BT, whereas with the T1s the video stream is terrible on BT unless also using the Mi 2 wifi extender, fine on OTG with or without Mi 2

Last edited:
@TelloPilot2019 can you be so kind, and give us a exact description of how you connect the T1s with bluetooth to the app. From when you open the app, and then all the steps ? I got it working in the demo mode, but after i bought the full version, sometimes i can connect, but then Tello just rises if i let go of the stick, i then have to pull all the way down just to stay in one place. If i then try to use the stock Tello app, my controller is all messed up. I then have to reset everything, then i can connect as normal to my stock Tello app. Try it again with TelloFPV, and all is screwed up again. Without controller, flying from the phone only, app works as advertised. I cant fly like that, need the controller to fly, like on normal rc. Thank you in advance :)

Very strange. Could you be a bit more precise in your description?
How exactly do you connect the controller in TelloFPV? Is the controller directly recognized by TelloFPV (like T1d) or do you connect/pair first using some Android procedure?
How do you connect using the stock app?
What exaclty is "all messed up"?
how do you "reset everything"? I am not aware of a reset procedure in Stock app.

Have you tested the controller in a gamepad tester app like this:
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=ru.elron.gamepadtester&hl=en_US

Normal yes... my T1s is listed same, except FW version is 2.14 on the wired entry.

Yesterday, just for kicks, i tried a Sony PS4 Wireless controller. It works BT and OTG, and also has two entries in TelloFPV. The sticks aren't nearly as smooth and precise as the T1s, but the video stream is not affected AT ALL when using it via BT, whereas with the T1s the video stream is terrible on BT unless also using the Mi 2 wifi extender, fine on OTG either way.
I feel we could use some kind of WIKI style help with all the controllers and setup procedures. What works, what does not work, etc.

Does anybody know sites that offer something like this and could set it up for the community to grow it?
Unfortunately I can't set this up: As soon as I own such a site I have to get into data protection rules and all legal issues associated with that.

How exactly do you connect the controller in TelloFPV? Is the controller directly recognized by TelloFPV (like T1d) or do you connect/pair first using some Android procedure?
how do you "reset everything"? I am not aware of a reset procedure in Stock app.

BTW: I will add a function to clear controller definitions in the next release so you get rid of all the fuss.

BTW: I will add a function to clear controller definitions in the next release so you get rid of all the fuss.

Very good! I thought about asking if this was possible, but decided not to bug you ATM.

I've been on Android since the Moto Droid I, and never have I seen such a thoughtful, responsive developer!

Thank you for the response volate!lo. Ok, let me explain better. First i will start with stock app. Switch on Tello, then the app. Blue connect button comes up, and i connect. S8+ goes to wi fi settings and shows TelloAA or TelloAA+ when on extender. I connect and then go to Tello screen that is now showing video. I then switch on T1s controller by pressing start and A button together, holding for 3 seconds. Android green light is now flashing on controller. I then open the gear icon for settings in stock app. Press on bluetooth controller settings, and Gamesir T1s comes up. Press that and i am connected to controller. Fly like normal with all controls from T1s. Now for TelloFPV app - open up TelloFPV, and switch on Tello. Go into wifi settings, and connect it from there. App is connected with video feed. I turn on controller in same way as with normal connection method as stock app. Green Android light blinking, i open up settings in app, then click on controller and get to screen with Master Controller showing Gamesir T1s. I then press Scan for new controller, it just blinks for a few seconds, and then stops. Doesnt show controller percentage in bottom right corner, just a redline next to it.
I dont use a Android procedure to connect the controller to the phone, if i try that, then i might get connected to the app, but then it takes about 5 tries to get the Tello from taking off, and then i can control roll, pitch and throttle up. When i let go off throttle, to recentre, craft keeps climbing by itself, unless i hold throttle completely down, then Tell will hold just position. I then have to press land on screen to get it down. That is what i meant by all is messed up.
I reset my controller by pressing the reset button, in the hopes that it clears all wrong inputs. Learned now that is not the problem.
Hope you can make sense of all of this :)

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Soccer843