Hello Tello Pilot!
Join our DJI Tello community & remove this banner.

TelloFPV - The app for Tello FPV, Photo, Video

I have found that while flying the Tello with TelloFPV, I am losing connectivity for a 1-3 seconds quite often. I am only a few feet from the drone using a Samsung s7 Edge. It shows connection lost and then reconnects but for a few seconds I have no control. Has anyone else seen this behavior?

Some phones don't really like to stay on Tello's wifi because it doesn't offer internet access so they try other nearby networks (or cellular).

Try this:
Remove all other Wifi networks your phone knows about.
put the phone into flight mode
activate wifi and connect to tello network

Now your phone has no alternative network it can connect to so should (!) stay with tello. But no guarantees.

@volate!lo I will try what you suggest and report back. Android does show a message initially that the Tello Wifi has no internet but it is not going back to another Wifi network as far as I can tell. The message I get from TelloFPV is "Tello disconnected" and then anywhere from 1-3sec later it says "Tello connected". During that interval the drone just hovers and cannot be controlled. I am never more than 10 feet from the drone.

Some phones don't really like to stay on Tello's wifi because it doesn't offer internet access so they try other nearby networks (or cellular).

Try this:

Now your phone has no alternative network it can connect to so should (!) stay with tello. But no guarantees.
I will give it a try and report back.

Try this:

Well that did not work, still pops up that message every 1 to 2 minutes.

This is NOT storing pictures/videos anywhere, and it has the correct permissions.

This is NOT storing pictures/videos anywhere, and it has the correct permissions.
There is a known bug (see playstore description) that TelloFpv stores the files but does not tell Android to scan for them. If you use a Filemanager to go into the directories (It tells you when you take a photo / video) the file are there but they just don't show up in the gallery until the next reboot.

A fix for this in the codebase, and will be released shortly.

In case the files are definetely not there please also wait for the next release, which will add a couple of notifications in case of failed photo downloads, write protected directories, missing permissions, etc.

Thanks. I didn't see it via the usb connection to my pc, so I installed a file manager, and there they were. Still doesn't show up on my PC, but I can copy them to a directory where I can see them. At least know I know where they're hiding.

Just noticed there is an update to the TelloFPV app :)

Here is the link, Let's help him test it, WOOOOOO !!!!

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.volatello.tellofpv&hl=en

WTF!!! How do you know, its been online for just 5 minutes. Are you glue to google play or what?

OK, so here is the next version. Its just a small release so nothing to get excited about. I orignially promised to do this yesterday, but this Samsung S8/S9 bug took muuuch longer to fix: S8 / S9 crashing after exiting the app during cleanup. Nobody reported these but I could see the crash reports in the Play Console. Its impossible for me to test or debug this without getting information from affected people. Consequently I'm not 100% sure I got it fixed but I hope so.

Since this was the only "crash" type of defect that s reported by Google I hope we now have a fully stable version to build upon.

Fixed issues
------------
* App Crash on some devices, mostly Samsung S8 / S9
* Image / video gallery is not updated to include videos / photos
* Controller setting button mapping assignment picked wrong button
* RTH does not work after disconnect / reconnect
* Autopilots do not allow to change speedmode video <=> sport
* Flight log has distances wrong

New features
------------
* Notifications if APs are switched off
* PANIC button sets Attitude Angle to maximum (temporarily, restored after button is released)
* Boost button: Temporarily doubles the rate (up to 100% rate)
* Limit button: Temporarily cuts rate in half
* New button in Controller settings to clear controller definitions
* Notification if download photo failed / timed out
* Startup of video recording optimized, no more blurry sequence at recording start
* Flightlog contains last known distance and direction from takeoff point, direction 0 is where the drone faced when turned on
* Reminder for PDF manual on first startup

A note about BOOST / LIMIT buttons: These are not separate icons but only functions that you can map to a controller button. While pressed these temporarily double / cut in half the output rate of all stick input. So if you configure a pitch rate of 60% and are on full stick, BOOST will convert the resulting 60% pitch output into 120% (joking) 100% and LIMIT will make it 30%. Some users asked for a way to have different rates while staying in video mode / sport mode. I think this is not so much important for sport mode but for Video: You want to travel somewhere with a little speed but then want to go very slow to capture some interesting footage, all in one video recording without the issues of video aspect ratio changes when switching modes.
This function is currently not a prime citizen to keep it simple and not waste screen real estate on a rarely used function - but still accommodate users with special needs.

Flightlog now contains the direction and distance to the drone, relative to starting point. One BIG CAVEAT: direction is relative to the direction of the drone when it was switched on! Tello does not have a compass so not much we can do about this (at least for now). So try to memorize this!
This function comes with condolences for johnagr's loss of his Tello that he reported in the development thread.

Thanks. I didn't see it via the usb connection to my pc, so I installed a file manager, and there they were. Still doesn't show up on my PC, but I can copy them to a directory where I can see them. At least know I know where they're hiding.
fixed in the new release!

@volate!lo

I have 2 requests if possible.

1. Can you incorporate some sort of acknowledge when you press a button? I fly my Tello looking at it more than looking at the screen and I press buttons, but don't know if it received my command or not.

2. Is there a way to incorporate the IMU and Gravity calibrations into the app? I fly with different propellers & prop guards, depending if I'm flying inside or outside, so I have to constantly calibrate gravity to correct the change on weight and thrust on my Tello. I really want to delete my original Tello app, but can't due to this.

Thanks,

Ansia

Hi,

Question about video storage to SD card:

Firstly, really excited about all the development of the TelloFPV app... Just installed v. 0.94. Thanks for all the hard work!

Anyway, for some reason, and I apologize ahead of time if it's just me, but I can't store any of the video (nor photo) files directly onto the microSD card in my phone. The internal storage fills up very quickly (filled up completely). This in turn had a strange effect that TelloFPV only allowed to fly the Tello sideways... it was a bit tricky to figure this out at first from a distance, but I was able to get the Tello back and land safely.

I'm using an LG G6 ThinQ phone and it works otherwise absolutely great, except for said issue that won't allow me to save the video directly to my 128GB microSD card. The phone's video setting work fine; it goes straight to the SD card and I thought TelloFPV takes those settings (but it doesn't).

Lastly, I was wondering if it were at all possible to have the video recording more prominent (graphically) while recording, --i.e. the record button turn red while it's recording. Currently the only indicator is a tiny, tiny white time counter in the upper right hand corner under the video recording button. Hardly visible in the field, esp. under harsh sun light.

Grüsse,
Andreas.

Still very few videos m
Hi,

Question about video storage to SD card:

Firstly, really excited about all the development of the TelloFPV app... Just installed v. 0.94. Thanks for all the hard work!

Anyway, for some reason, and I apologize ahead of time if it's just me, but I can't store any of the video (nor photo) files directly onto the microSD card in my phone. The internal storage fills up very quickly (filled up completely). This in turn had a strange effect that TelloFPV only allowed to fly the Tello sideways... it was a bit tricky to figure this out at first from a distance, but I was able to get the Tello back and land safely.

I'm using an LG G6 ThinQ phone and it works otherwise absolutely great, except for said issue that won't allow me to save the video directly to my 128GB microSD card. The phone's video setting work fine; it goes straight to the SD card and I thought TelloFPV takes those settings (but it doesn't).

Lastly, I was wondering if it were at all possible to have the video recording more prominent (graphically) while recording, --i.e. the record button turn red while it's recording. Currently the only indicator is a tiny, tiny white time counter in the upper right hand corner under the video recording button. Hardly visible in the field, esp. under harsh sun light.

Grüsse,
Andreas.

TelloFpv uses the DCIM directory as its reported by the phone. I think that is the best spot for the vast majority of users: every phone has it and its automatically made available to PCs not only when connected as MTP but also when PTP connection is used. So I don't want to change that.

Your phone vendor chose to report the DCIM wrong, instead of pointing to the "real DCIM" directory that the camera uses it reports the default directory on internal storage.

All I can suggest at this point is to clean up memory on the internal storage, or add your SD card storage to the internal storage: The G6 has Android 8, AFAIK so you can actually mount the external SD card as internal storage, boosting your internal storage by almost 128GB.

Re recording button: Just fixed it, will be in the next release!

Harsh sun... LOL whats that . Over here its harsh grey!

My tellofpv is 0.9 . I want to change to a new 0.94. How should I do it . The update is dane automaticalle . ?

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sarael