Hello Tello Pilot!
Join our DJI Tello community & remove this banner.

TelloFPV - The app for Tello FPV, Photo, Video

volate!lo

Reaction score
Now that TelloFPV has been released on Google Play I would like to invite you to use this thread to get in touch regarding issues, bugs, troubles, ideas. Thank you for keeping this thread focused with as little thread drift as possible ;)

In case you don't know TelloFpv yet, it is an alternative android app to control Tello offering many additional features:
  • Better UI with telemetry
  • "home indicator" showing you the way back home in real time
  • Advanced video options
  • External controllers supported: Gamesir T1d, Parrot Flypad, USB and Blueotooth Gamepads
  • Flexible button & stick mapping, tuning of stick controls (expo, rate and deadzone)
  • FPV Trainer / Master-Student (one controller is student, overruled by input from the master controller)
  • Actually working Autopilots: Return to home, circle a POI (point of interest), Heading lock on POI
  • much more
My goal is to make TelloFPV the app of choice for FPV and video / photo shooting. If you have ideas for new features that fit into this vision this is the right place.

TelloFP is available here:
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.volatello.tellofpv

Please test compatibility with your particular phone / controller /drone combination before buying the full app:
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.volatello.tellofpv.demo

Current version 0.94

Current PDF manual is attached

Known defects
  • none

Features of upcoming release
  • VR goggle support

A few hints:
Controllers directly supported are T1d and Flypad.
All kinds of USB & bluetooth controllers that are supported by Android as "InputDevice". Please check with this gamepad tester app: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=ru.elron.gamepadtester&hl=en_US
Buttons need to be recognized, and stick axis needs to be mapped to AXIS X, AXIS Y, AXIS Z, AXIS RZ (in any order, remapping is done in TelloFpv).

Attachments

• manual.pdf
    953.2 KB · Views: 1,022
Last edited:
Still wish the developer would make an iOS version! Not all of us are in the Android camp.
Sorry, but that won't happen unless I take the wrong pill one day ;) Was red or blue the one to wake up? Haven't seen this movie for years.
Seriously: IOS is a totally different world. Development effort would be at least similar plus learning curve, with a much smaller user base.

My suggestion: get a used phone just for Tello. Can be one with some defects, just needs a good screen with decent PPI, full HD minimum so it can be used for VR goggles.
A used S4 with a SIM card defect costs 10-20 Euro and has more than enough juice for TelloFPV and a very nice screen.

Stock ROM Android 5.0 works, or get a phone with decent support from custom ROMs with LineageOS to get Android 8.

On a side note: My main test devices are Samsung S4 and S4 mini, both with fairly recent LineageOS.

Last edited:
Reactions: Fari and Kyle Knox
or get a phone with decent support from custom ROMs with LineageOS to get Android 8.

That's what I'm doing after the holidays... since my daughter 'upgraded' from the Android I bought her years ago to a new iPhone, I have her Galaxy S3 (4.4.2) to play with.

I'll root it, install LineageOS on your recommendation, install TelloFPV, and be happy all around.

Thanks again, keep up the good work! :)

Seems like this in the magic pill to sort the video issues according to a few here and kudos to volate!lo for coming up with the App which I will trial in the next day or so but forgive me.. Why hasn't Ryze sorted this or for that fact came up with this new App. The purchase price of €4.99 for the App is nominal but I get totally fizzed when products require a third party App to operate correctly.

Addition: reading the reviews to the App... Impressive so far! :)

Last edited:
Reactions: volate!lo
Excellent app!! Hands down better than the original app. Plus, I'm teaching my Dad to fly Drones and this app (from our family library!!) enabled him to easily grasp controlling the drone with joysticks.

Well done!

Reactions: SteinJM
Seems like this in the magic pill to sort the video issues according to a few here and kudos to volate!lo for coming up with the App which I will trial in the next day or so but forgive me.. Why hasn't Ryze sorted this or for that fact came up with this new App. The purchase price of €4.99 for the App is nominal but I get totally fizzed when products require a third party App to operate correctly.

Addition: reading the reviews to the App... Impressive so far! :)

Yes very satisfied. I just need more good reviews to get into a reasonable ranking for the keyword "Tello" right now the app doesn't even show up for this :(

TelloFPV isn't the magic pill in terms of video quality. I think its a bit better than ryze app but not worlds apart.
But it seems to work on phones where Ryze app has problems. So far I don't see any major trouble with TelloFpv, since 0.9 was released I have seen 3 crashes in the whole userbase.

Excellent app!! Hands down better than the original app. Plus, I'm teaching my Dad to fly Drones and this app (from our family library!!) enabled him to easily grasp controlling the drone with joysticks.

Well done!
OK, thats the other way round as I envisioned (Dad=>Teacher, kid=>student) but OK.
Good to know the family library works (I haven't tested this) . Have fun!

Reactions: xcrost
Greetings. And I want to express my appreciation for your excellent app. I have been trying it since last week, and bought it as soon as it hit the play store. I really am enjoying testing all of the new features with my tello.

It is my understanding that this is the thread to discuss the current version. If not, let me know and I will move it. I am using a parrot flypad on bluetooth (can't get it running otg on any device, though it could be that there is a problem with my cords). Anyway, it runs very well in bluetooth on all of my devices, but I wanted to make you aware that the bug for no takeoff if confirm takeoff is turned off still exists (Tello FPV 0.9) on my Nexus 7 running stock android 6.0.1 when using the flypad.

It works flawlessly on my Nvidia shield running 7.0 and my LG G6 running 8.0 and also works on the Nexus 7 if I just use the onscreen controller. Not a big deal for me by any means, just thought you might like to know. I have the throw takeoff + hand land mapped to "right stick press" on all three devices.

Thanks again for all of the work you have put into this. It is a bargain as far as I'm concerned.

Greetings. And I want to express my appreciation for your excellent app. I have been trying it since last week, and bought it as soon as it hit the play store. I really am enjoying testing all of the new features with my tello.

It is my understanding that this is the thread to discuss the current version. If not, let me know and I will move it. I am using a parrot flypad on bluetooth (can't get it running otg on any device, though it could be that there is a problem with my cords). Anyway, it runs very well in bluetooth on all of my devices, but I wanted to make you aware that the bug for no takeoff if confirm takeoff is turned off still exists (Tello FPV 0.9) on my Nexus 7 running stock android 6.0.1 when using the flypad.

It works flawlessly on my Nvidia shield running 7.0 and my LG G6 running 8.0 and also works on the Nexus 7 if I just use the onscreen controller. Not a big deal for me by any means, just thought you might like to know. I have the throw takeoff + hand land mapped to "right stick press" on all three devices.

Thanks again for all of the work you have put into this. It is a bargain as far as I'm concerned.

Thanks for the compliments.
Regarding your problem: Please double check & re-do the button mapping for your takeoff button on the Nexus 7 with Flypad. I am certain you have a wrong or broken button assignment so just re-do it.

This app is a significant improvement to the standard Tello app. I am trying to use it on a Samsung S7 with a PS3 controller connected via OTG cable. The controller seems to be recognized by the app but I can't get it to do anything. I have selected the controller as the master. Is there something else I need to do to get it to work?

I have mine (gamesir t1s) under the student option and it works perfect. Maybe give that a try and maybe it will work that way? I always like the phone to be the master because that is my go to fail safe if anything ever happens :)
Figure the phone has every option by default and is a good backup plan.
I posted in another thread that it is not working for me with T1s. I will try it under the "student" option, as you recommended.

I posted in another thread that it is not working for me with T1s. I will try it under the "student" option, as you recommended.
In the TelloFPV, the default mode to operate is the student mode. If you select the desired gamepad as the student mode, it will work.
As much as I understand, the Master (teacher) has always control over the Student, but the student has again control after 2 seconds of Master stopped to use his controller. The idea is to help when you are teaching someone to fly the Tello.

Reactions: Clinton1
Hello,
First of all great app.
Almost everything is working for me. I have just one little bug. The video aspect ratio is off and the picture is compressed.
I have a Galaxy S8 with Android 8.0

Is that a known issue or is there a fix?
If needed I can provide more information and a sample video.

Regards Stele

In the TelloFPV, the default mode to operate is the student mode. If you select the desired gamepad as the student mode, it will work.
As much as I understand, the Master (teacher) has always control over the Student, but the student has again control after 2 seconds of Master stopped to use his controller. The idea is to help when you are teaching someone to fly the Tello.
Thanks, after trying again, i got it working with T1s controller. :)

Reactions: zesteves
Hi, what are the chances of getting this app on iOS please?
I don't know anything about IOS, so chances are _very_very_very_ slim.

Your best bet is to get a decent dedicated controller: Buy a derelict android phone on ebay. Any model that has a decent screen and good support from custom ROMs (so you aren't locked to Android 4.4 or so). Plenty of those available for cheap, especially with SIM slot defects or defective buttons An S4 for 20€ is good enough, if you want to do VR maybe pay a bit more for the S5.
TelloFPV works on anything with Android 5+, even my old S3 mini with recent LineageOS works OK.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Repiv