Hello Tello Pilot!
Join our DJI Tello community & remove this banner.

TelloFPV - The app for Tello FPV, Photo, Video

Waypoints, follow me, orbit me, etc will go into another app. Just like obstacle avoidance, 3 axis headtracking, RTH on wifi lost, RTH with battery at 0%, 4k upscaling, and the 30min flight time extender :)

After some serious (!) inquiry I think I have to bring this one back up: The name of this new app will be "JOKE".

The old-school way of doing "RTH on 0% battery" is: walk to the impact side, collect the bits & pieces, and head back back home.

Hi volate!lo

I've been looking around for an entry point into drone photography that's relatively low cost and risk. The Tello looks like a good starting point and I was really pleased to see that someone had written an alternative to the Ryze app which looks very limited for camera control - congratulations in creating what looks like a very cool and well-thought-out alternative for driving the Tello. Photography (stills) is my hobby, so I'd like to get the best images I can. On that front, I have some questions -
  • Does the app-to-drone API allow you to manually change the camera ISO and/or the the shutter speed? (I assume the aperture is fixed on the camera). It would be great to have some level of control of the camera exposure, particularly locking it for taking multi-exposures to generate high dynamic range, panorama or super-res (see next question) shots, but choosing an ISO and/or shutter speed would probably clinch my decision to buy one of these drones.
  • Would it be possible to add a 'burst' photo mode that would take a specified number of shots in quick succession? I've been experimenting, with some success, in creating images with higher resolution than the camera's using the process outlined in https://petapixel.com/2015/02/21/a-practical-guide-to-creating-superresolution-photos-with-photoshop/.
  • This one is a really long shot - Is there any way to extract RAW photos from the Tello in order to extract the maximum amount of image information from the camera? I notice that you have a PNG Conversion option for photos in your app. Is the downloaded image from the drone in JPEG format and then you convert the JPEG to PNG, or do you have access to the uncompressed image data and convert that to PNG? I'm hoping the latter, but I'm a realist;)
Cheers

Now that TelloFPV has been released on Google Play I would like to invite you to use this thread to get in touch regarding issues, bugs, troubles, ideas. Thank you for keeping this thread focused with as little thread drift as possible ;)

In case you don't know TelloFpv yet, it is an alternative android app to control Tello offering many additional features:
  • Better UI with telemetry
  • "home indicator" showing you the way back home in real time
  • Advanced video options
  • External controllers supported: Gamesir T1d, Parrot Flypad, USB and Blueotooth Gamepads
  • Flexible button & stick mapping, tuning of stick controls (expo, rate and deadzone)
  • FPV Trainer / Master-Student (one controller is student, overruled by input from the master controller)
  • Actually working Autopilots: Return to home, circle a POI (point of interest), Heading lock on POI
  • much more
My goal is to make TelloFPV the app of choice for FPV and video / photo shooting. If you have ideas for new features that fit into this vision this is the right place.

TelloFP is available here:
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.volatello.tellofpv

Please test compatibility with your particular phone / controller /drone combination before buying the full app:
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.volatello.tellofpv.demo

Volatello, you should see if you could put you Tello App in the Amazon App store. I use CrystalSky and it's a lot easier to download and install the .apk file. I love your app and use it all the time.

dave :)

Hi volate!lo

I've been looking around for an entry point into drone photography that's relatively low cost and risk. The Tello looks like a good starting point and I was really pleased to see that someone had written an alternative to the Ryze app which looks very limited for camera control - congratulations in creating what looks like a very cool and well-thought-out alternative for driving the Tello. Photography (stills) is my hobby, so I'd like to get the best images I can. On that front, I have some questions -
  • Does the app-to-drone API allow you to manually change the camera ISO and/or the the shutter speed? (I assume the aperture is fixed on the camera). It would be great to have some level of control of the camera exposure, particularly locking it for taking multi-exposures to generate high dynamic range, panorama or super-res (see next question) shots, but choosing an ISO and/or shutter speed would probably clinch my decision to buy one of these drones.
  • Would it be possible to add a 'burst' photo mode that would take a specified number of shots in quick succession? I've been experimenting, with some success, in creating images with higher resolution than the camera's using the process outlined in https://petapixel.com/2015/02/21/a-practical-guide-to-creating-superresolution-photos-with-photoshop/.
  • This one is a really long shot - Is there any way to extract RAW photos from the Tello in order to extract the maximum amount of image information from the camera? I notice that you have a PNG Conversion option for photos in your app. Is the downloaded image from the drone in JPEG format and then you convert the JPEG to PNG, or do you have access to the uncompressed image data and convert that to PNG? I'm hoping the latter, but I'm a realist;)
Cheers
Exposure control is already implemented and 360 Pano autopilot will arrive anyday. I think Tello takes pic as jpg so raw is not possible. He will correct me if I am wrong but he sleeps now I imagine so I thought I would share what I know.

.....Also :)

If someone has the interest/inclination/time to post some images comparing the same shot as JPEG versus PNG files I'd be very grateful.
Cheers

Reactions: volate!lo
Exposure control is already implemented and 360 Pano autopilot will arrive anyday. I think Tello takes pic as jpg so raw is not possible. He will correct me if I am wrong but he sleeps now I imagine so I thought I would share what I know.
Thanks. I assume you mean the exposure (EV) adjustment which isn't what I'm after, although if manual shutter speed and ISO controls aren't an option then EV adjustments might still be useful for high dynamic range experimentation. However, if JPEG is the only format available then results probably won't be great.
Cheers

Reactions: xcrost
Hi volate!lo

Cheers
Hi there,

I am afraid none of this will work.
The only thing I can change is the exposure. No other value is available for user modification.

I could do quick burst mode, but "quick succession" isn't the right term here because Tello can only handle one photo at the time. So I have to take the photo, download it, take the next. Downloading just one HQ photo can take anywhere between 3s and over a minute depending on the wifi link quality. So much for "rapid".
The good point is: Tello has a very stable hover and doesn't move much so even such a slow burst could probably help.

Tello creates a JPG file onboard, which is only downloaded for storage. We don't have access to RAW files.
Because this JPG file has some broken file header I added the options to re-encode it, which just loads it into a bitmap and saves it as a 100% JPG or PNG. So this PNG handling was just a by-product of fixing this broken JPG header, which caused trouble in some gallery apps.

Cheers!

Reactions: xcrost
Hi there,

I am afraid none of this will work.
The only thing I can change is the exposure. No other value is available for user modification.

I could do quick burst mode, but "quick succession" isn't the right term here because Tello can only handle one photo at the time. So I have to take the photo, download it, take the next. Downloading just one HQ photo can take anywhere between 3s and over a minute depending on the wifi link quality. So much for "rapid".
The good point is: Tello has a very stable hover and doesn't move much so even such a slow burst could probably help.

Tello creates a JPG file onboard, which is only downloaded for storage. We don't have access to RAW files.
Because this JPG file has some broken file header I added the options to re-encode it, which just loads it into a bitmap and saves it as a 100% JPG or PNG. So this PNG handling was just a by-product of fixing this broken JPG header, which caused trouble in some gallery apps.

Cheers!
Many thanks for the quick response and clarifications. I was hopeful, but in the meantime I had checked the SDK quickly and thought I was being unrealistic about what might be feasible. At the moment I'm thinking that the Tello camera capabilities aren't as good as I'd like, but it still might be a good learning tool while I wait for a new drone with better capabilities at a similar price point.
Cheers

Dear Developer, how can I get this app if playmarket says that this app isnt available im my country (UKRAINE)?

TelloFpv is not available in several countries, Ukraine included. I am sorry but you will have to use aTelloPilot or Ryze Tello App.

Current version 0.94

Current PDF manual is attached

Known defects
  • none
Features of upcoming release
  • VR goggle support
A few hints:
Controllers directly supported are T1d and Flypad.
All kinds of USB & bluetooth controllers that are supported by Android as "InputDevice". Please check with this gamepad tester app: Gamepad tester - Apps on Google Play
Buttons need to be recognized, and stick axis needs to be mapped to AXIS X, AXIS Y, AXIS Z, AXIS RZ (in any order, remapping is done in TelloFpv).
Is there a manual in Spanish?

Thank you again for such a fantastic app!! Just starting out with Tello-Edu. I've noticed a fair amount of pixellating on my videos even though I'm not very high, <5m or far, <5m. I also use the Mi Extender. I've tried adjusting the bitrate higher to improve the video quality and a longer IFrame interval as well, but neither seem to help. I do live in an urban environment so I suppose there is a fair amount of RF noise. Does saving the raw h264 stream help? Other then skipping the corrupt frames, any other suggestion?
Danke!

Thank you again for such a fantastic app!! Just starting out with Tello-Edu. I've noticed a fair amount of pixellating on my videos even though I'm not very high, <5m or far, <5m. I also use the Mi Extender. I've tried adjusting the bitrate higher to improve the video quality and a longer IFrame interval as well, but neither seem to help. I do live in an urban environment so I suppose there is a fair amount of RF noise. Does saving the raw h264 stream help? Other then skipping the corrupt frames, any other suggestion?
Danke!
The question is : How does it compare with the OEM app? Tello does suffer from low wifi link quality in certain environments and settings. TelloFpv can't bring back wifi packets that were lost in transit so pixelation, garbage and dropped frames are to be expected to a certain degree.

Are you using v1.11 or 1.12? Bluetooth switched off? If its pixelation you should not use longer but shorter IFrame intervals. Shorter IFrame intervals reduce sharpness of the images, but reduce pixelation.
Saving as h264 doesn't help because the problem is lost wifi packets. These are missing in the h264 stream, too. You may try to play the h264 with other apps on the PC. Some codes are smarter than others when it comes to interpolating missing data.
Have you read the manual?

Greetings, im from Ukraine but I have the app. How did that happen if it's unavailable ?
Because you bought before the app was removed from the store in Ukraine .

The question is : How does it compare with the OEM app? Tello does suffer from low wifi link quality in certain environments and settings. TelloFpv can't bring back wifi packets that were lost in transit so pixelation, garbage and dropped frames are to be expected to a certain degree.

Are you using v1.11 or 1.12? Bluetooth switched off? If its pixelation you should not use longer but shorter IFrame intervals. Shorter IFrame intervals reduce sharpness of the images, but reduce pixelation.
Saving as h264 doesn't help because the problem is lost wifi packets. These are missing in the h264 stream, too. You may try to play the h264 with other apps on the PC. Some codes are smarter than others when it comes to interpolating missing data.
Have you read the manual?

Because you bought before the app was removed from the store in Ukraine .

Of course I’ve read the manual.
I am using 1.12.
According to the manual:
“Use shorter intervals to improve the video stream stability over long distances. Use longer intervals in areas with low interference to improve recorded video quality.”
I didn’t think 5 meters was a long distance so I tried a longer interval to try to improve the video quality. I’ll try a shorter interval when it stops raining.
It may just be low WiFi link quality in my urban environment.

Reactions: volate!lo
Of course I’ve read the manual.
I am using 1.12.
According to the manual:
“Use shorter intervals to improve the video stream stability over long distances. Use longer intervals in areas with low interference to improve recorded video quality.”
I didn’t think 5 meters was a long distance so I tried a longer interval to try to improve the video quality. I’ll try a shorter interval when it stops raining.
It may just be low WiFi link quality in my urban environment.
With bluetooth off you should not see many pixelations then. Can you upload / share videos somewhere?.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Repiv