Hello Tello Pilot!
Join our DJI Tello community & remove this banner.

TelloFPV - The app for Tello FPV, Photo, Video

I switch from the OEM app to TelloFPV because I was experiencing green and pink artifacts (see screenshot) and very choppy video feed (and playback).
TelloFPV eliminated the green/pink artifacts, but the video feed is still a bit choppy, which makes it difficult to control.
I also get a lot of pixelisation in the TelloFPV app.

Does anyone else get choppy video feed? Is there anything I can do to resolve it?

I'm running a OnePlus 8 Pro (12GB RAM) on Android 11.

Attachments

• 2021-12-03 13_38_44-Window.jpg
    2021-12-03 13_38_44-Window.jpg
    162.7 KB · Views: 9
This is the usual video codec misconfguration, normal for the OEM app with many phone model.

As for the pixelation: TelloFpv has a large PDF help file available from the menu, which has a separate section about video quality.
Bottom line: put away any bluetooth device, turn on flightmode for the phone, turn on only wifi to connect to tello

Shortcuts (like turning off mobile data instead of flight mode) give lower video quality.

I have two android phones, and both are TelloFPV compatible. I'd like to purchase the app and install it on both phones, so I could use either phone to fly the Tello. But do I have purchase the app for each phone?

Nö. Purchase once and use on all your android devices (same Google account).
Of you are asked to pay again on the second phone just wait 24h and try again.
It sometimes takes a day or two for play store to propagate the purchase to the other devices so just be patient.

Reactions: IroN and RockaTello
Nö. Purchase once and use on all your android devices (same Google account).
Of you are asked to pay again on the second phone just wait 24h and try again.
It sometimes takes a day or two for play store to propagate the purchase to the other devices so just be patient.
Ok. Thanks. Great app, btw 👌🏻

Reactions: IroN
Thank you for your great app Volate!lo. I bought it to use with my xbox controllers.

My wired Xbox360 controller works flawlessly with Tello FPV but the long cable and lack of available phone mounts makes it less than ideal.

I also have a wireless Xbox One controller (an early version without bluetooth) that I connect wired to my phone with a USB OTG adapter. It is recognized by Tello FPV as a message pops up - "Microsoft X-box One pad (Covert Forces) has been connected". It appears in the controller list as "Microsoft Xbox One" and it says OK next to the controller icon in the bottom right of the app. However the controls do not work and the controller light does not turn on.

In Gamepad Tester the controller is not detected.

However it does work properly in other apps such as "Steam Link" or "USB/BT Joystick Center 2021". But in those cases the app actively connects to the Xbox One controller. A prompt appears asking "Allow (app) to connect to the USB device?" Then I allow it and the controller lights up and input is detected. People have speculated that perhaps these apps have the driver for the controller that is lacking in Android. (I am using Android 9 on an LG V30+).

Is it possible for this functionality to be added to Tello FPV? If it can establish a USB connection to the Xbox One controller and activate it in the same way that "Steam Link" or "USB/BT Joystick Center 2021" does it would bring me great joy. I hope it is possible.

Edit: There is an open source app called "Moonlight Game Streaming" by Cameron Gutman. It implements an Xbox One USB gamepad driver. Perhaps you can examine how he did it.

Last edited:
I need to look into this to check how much effort this is. If its a quick thing to do I may add support but it does not make sense to develop special drivers for individual controllers. Only exception is those controllers that are more or less bundled with the drone like the T1d (granted I added the Flypad but only because I had the code for it before I even started TelloFpv development).

Thank you for your reply. I understand you must see if it is worth the time.

I have just tried the app "Moonlight Game Streaming" by Cameron Gutman and it works with my Xbox One controller. It is a free and open source app so perhaps you can examine the driver code that it uses. Thank you for all your efforts.

Edit: here is the github link - GitHub - moonlight-stream/moonlight-android: GameStream client for Android

Last edited:
I just had a look. This requires native libraries, and separate builds for each supported CPU architecture and lots of work...
Sorry but that doesn't make sense just to add support for one particular controller type.

Now that TelloFPV has been released on Google Play I would like to invite you to use this thread to get in touch regarding issues, bugs, troubles, ideas. Thank you for keeping this thread focused with as little thread drift as possible ;)
hm just one question i use the original tello but tello fpv dosent work? or is ryze the only drone for fpv

These are two questions and they make no sense for me. If you have problems using Tello FPV app, you should give more details (Android or iOS, what exactly "dosent work" etc.).

hm just one question i use the original tello but tello fpv dosent work? or is ryze the only drone for fpv
Sorry but i am confused, too. Ryze is not a drone but a manufacturer, Tello is the only drone they build, tellofpv is an app.
If you can explain more precisely what your problem is we might be able to help

It's still the same drone. Developed by Ryze with support from DJI and Intel. Meanwhile only the merchandising has changed to the "DJI" brand.

i am pretty sure Ryze was never more than a separate postbox in a DJI building.
The first announcements in 2018 look more like a startup, but in strong cooperation with DJI and Intel. As you are speaking German as well:
Ryze Technology: Tello Drone (see "Ist die Tello-Drohne von DJI?")
But may be that all this was just a marketing trick...

EDIT:
Same Building but different floor...:
Ryze: Shenzhen RYZE Tech Co.,Ltd. FCC ID Applications (2AOOE) (contact email: [email protected])
DJI: Contact Us - DJI

Last edited:
The first announcements in 2018 look more like a startup, but in strong cooperation with DJI and Intel. As you are speaking German as well:
Ryze Technology: Tello Drone (see "Ist die Tello-Drohne von DJI?")
But may be that all this was just a marketing trick...

EDIT:
Same Building but different floor...:
Ryze: Shenzhen RYZE Tech Co.,Ltd. FCC ID Applications (2AOOE) (contact email: [email protected])
DJI: Contact Us - DJI
about two years ago I dug a bit deeper and found that they share more than just the address:
Several official documents (patents, FCC registration, trade mark registration) are signed by the same employees and/or have been filed by the same lawyers. Many documents use the main DJI telephone number. Sometimes DJI people would answer requests sent to Ryze customer service. Hard to draw a line between DJI and Ryze.

At least back then Ryze and DJI used the same web service providers, SSL certificate chains, and their devices use closely related protocols and keywords.
I find it hard to imagine anything that any startup could offer DJI that is worth granting them access to DJI's core competencies. the risk of creating information leaks or loosing intellectual property is just too high.

Maybe its a separte company or maybe not. While an interesting topic it's of little practical relevance and I don't think we will ever get a definite answer as both are companies in private ownership.

Suggested enhancement (or perhaps new product idea)...stream FPV to Oculus Quest 2.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Repiv