Hello Tello Pilot!
Join our DJI Tello community & remove this banner.

The complex procedure for getting photos from the Tello app on my Android cell uploaded to an external HDD on my PC

daisy-girl

Reaction score
Before flying, click More and use the higher resolution settings for the Photos and Videos.

1. Recall that, if you remove the battery, you lose your images, per the DJI website FAQs re Tello (hot-swapping of batteries not supported)
2. Land with 15% battery remaining so you will have enough power to click the Play button in the Tello app, which allows you to see the thumbnails of both your Photos and Videos, each on a different tab -- don't actually play if you only have 15% remaining
3. For each of the two tabs, click Select then click each file that you want to send to a "Tello Album," which the app will create -- double-click the check mark in the box at the top to select them all
4. In my particular phone's Gallery, I can see each of the new folders -- however, the only folder that I can see with my PC when I mount the device is DCIM
5. Therefore, from within the Gallery I must either Move or Copy the files in the two Tello folders to the "Camera" folder
6. From there, I can copy to an external HDD on my PC
7. Once they are in the external HDD mounted on my PC, I am able to upload them to this site.

I would like to show you the mp4 of how the AC made its way from the Launch Pad to the Window and then hovered, but it seems we are not allowed to upload mp4 files to the site

Re the outdoor shot, I made a video to show the aircraft struggling to hover in place next to this plant, which was blowing in the wind, and I also made this still, with the Photo setting.

It was quite amusing to hear and see little Tello trying so hard to hover in place. Luckily the floor below was bright white and the height was within recommended spec, which means the bottom sensors were able to prevent the aircraft from being blown away.

Attachments

• 1521762938844.jpg
    1521762938844.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 45
  • 1521763274593.jpg
    1521763274593.jpg
    657.4 KB · Views: 56
  • 1521482390500.jpg
    1521482390500.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 56
Reactions: Yo-dude
Ho
Before flying, click More and use the higher resolution settings for the Photos and Videos.

1. Recall that, if you remove the battery, you lose your images, per the DJI website FAQs re Tello (hot-swapping of batteries not supported)
2. Land with 15% battery remaining so you will have enough power to click the Play button in the Tello app, which allows you to see the thumbnails of both your Photos and Videos, each on a different tab -- don't actually play if you only have 15% remaining
3. For each of the two tabs, click Select then click each file that you want to send to a "Tello Album," which the app will create -- double-click the check mark in the box at the top to select them all
4. In my particular phone's Gallery, I can see each of the new folders -- however, the only folder that I can see with my PC when I mount the device is DCIM
5. Therefore, from within the Gallery I must either Move or Copy the files in the two Tello folders to the "Camera" folder
6. From there, I can copy to an external HDD on my PC
7. Once they are in the external HDD mounted on my PC, I am able to upload them to this site.

I would like to show you the mp4 of how the AC made its way from the Launch Pad to the Window and then hovered, but it seems we are not allowed to upload mp4 files to the site

Re the outdoor shot, I made a video to show the aircraft struggling to hover in place next to this plant, which was blowing in the wind, and I also made this still, with the Photo setting.

It was quite amusing to hear and see little Tello trying so hard to hover in place. Luckily the floor below was bright white and the height was within recommended spec, which means the bottom sensors were able to prevent the aircraft from being blown away.

Thanks. How do you send? I can select but that is all. I cant get beyond checking , several selected or all. But then nothinv else. I see select and cancel. But thats it. Cant figure it out.

Yeah something is saved, but all look like this. Any thoughts?

Attachments

• 1521628007883.jpg
    1521628007883.jpg
    182.6 KB · Views: 14
Yes that is what the thumbnail looks like on my S7 edge, and having to open each image to actually see the full picture is kind of a pain. I haven't looked at renaming the files. I just transfer them off the phone to my PC and everything is normal.

Yes that is what the thumbnail looks like on my S7 edge, and having to open each image to actually see the full picture is kind of a pain. I haven't looked at renaming the files. I just transfer them off the phone to my PC and everything is normal.

How do you get them on your pc? I havent found very smooth way . . .yet.

Using Microsoft, I just use a USB patch cord and move the files like I do with images taken with my phone. I have a huge card in my phone and the DJI software created a photo folder and a video folder where all the Tello stuff goes.

And for whatever reason now I can see all the thumbnails without all the gray lines...go figure. Not sure why. I upgraded to the latest version of the software and now no more problems on my phone or PC.

Seems to be the opposite of my Mavic... I'm wishing for more upgrades now.

Last edited:

That is incorrect, as I learned today.

Even with the aircraft shut down, I was able to open the Tello app on my android phone to see the Tello Photos and the Tello Videos folders - and then transfer the enclosed files to the Camera folder, which causes the two folders to disappear.

Once in the Camera (DCIM) folder, I am able to open the mp4 files with my PC and copy there to an external HDD for viewing/editing, etc.

Note: although Tello does indicate the date and time of the photos and videos, once they are on my HDD, that data appears. :cool:

Last edited:
"Thanks. How do you send? I can select but that is all. I cant get beyond checking , several selected or all. But then nothinv else. I see select and cancel. But thats it. Cant figure it out."

Once you've selected those or all that you want to keep, you should see two Tello folders in your android Gallery, one for Photos one for Videos.

I'm impressed with the quality of the photos taken with the Tello. I've been busy learning to fly mine, I guess I'll give some snapshots a try.

That seems like a lot of hard work. I just said 'yes' when Google Photos asked me if I wanted include the newly created Tello folder in my cloud backups.

Photos and videos are available online soon after taking them.

Edit:
If you want to share video stick it on Youtube and share the link here
:)

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Repiv