Hello Tello Pilot!
Join our DJI Tello community & remove this banner.

USB controle your tello, cheap solution! (android)

guig1508

Reaction score
Hey ! For those who already have USB controller gamepad (or not) this is a nice and cheap way to control Tello!

to connect gamepad to cellphone you an adapter (Using Android, USB xbx 360 gamepad is plug & play) and I use the Octopus app. There's a lot of tutorial how to use Octopus on youtube, I linked the one I used. If you don't already have a USB controller, it's a 11,50$ solution and maybe not work considering the gamesir is 29$ I think, but if like me you already own the controller, it's a 0.80$ solution which is really cheap! Enjoy!

USB wired controller:
Wired Joypad Controller for XBOX 360 - $10.72 Free Shipping|GearBest.com
Maikou MK-205 USB 2.0 to Micro USB Connector:
Maikou MK-205 USB 2.0 to Micro USB Connector - $0.67 Free Shipping|GearBest.com
How to setup Octopus tutorial:

Thanks, it isn't compatible with my tablet. That's why I could not find it.

As the tablet also has windows, maybe I try to program anything for flight with xbox controller

A bit of a warning to any one using the octopus app. Make sure you deselect pretty much all permissions the app has except may be storage. There is no need for the app to access your SMS, contacts, phone, calendar and body sensor data at all.

The permissions for Octopus are horrible and I couldn't make it work without them... Be sensible and drop a fiver on the third party app TelloFPV instead. Full control with my Beboncool controller and they have a demo version so you can test it out. There's another app for about the same price called aTelloPilot but it didn't have a demo version. Others have recommended it though. Octopus has so many permissions that it really shouldn't need and a lot of intrusive ads.

The permissions for Octopus are horrible and I couldn't make it work without them... Be sensible and drop a fiver on the third party app TelloFPV instead. Full control with my Beboncool controller and they have a demo version so you can test it out. There's another app for about the same price called aTelloPilot but it didn't have a demo version. Others have recommended it though. Octopus has so many permissions that it really shouldn't need and a lot of intrusive ads.

Which BEBONCOOL controller do you have? I saw one on Amazon and I like how small it is.

Is this the one you have?

I've also heard an advantage to the T1s is the ability to use an OTG cable instead of Bluetooth. Since the BEBONCOOL is bluetooth, do you have an interference issues?

@MaplewoodGeek

In general, best to go OTG and avoid Bluetooth altogether.

Are there any USB controllers that you can recommend that are smaller than the T1s and still have a phone holder? I purchased the Tello to have a very small travel drone. I already have a Mavic Air and to travel with the Tello and the Gamesir T1s is pretty much the same size as the Mavic Air and it's very small controller.

@MaplewoodGeek

I hear you about traveling light. I'm running a PS3 (or Xbox One or Wii Pro) controller with a third-party phone mount via OTG connection. For portability, it would just be the phone and Tello but have use this controller (albeit Bluetooth) and flown the Tello by VLOS:

The BEBONCOOL would appear to meet all your requirements but have no direct experience with that product.

Octopus adds too many ads, instead of paying for the full version of Octopus i would purchase TelloFPV app that is natively compatible with bluetooth and usb controllers. plus adds lots of features to the drone. better than using the stock app with octopus

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Repiv