Hello Tello Pilot!
Join our DJI Tello community & remove this banner.

Xiaomi WIFI repeater external antennas mod

raulvolador

Reaction score
Hi,

I'm glad to share with you this mod. Xiaomi WIFI repeater 2 it's a must have for every Tello pilot, due it's small and portable but greatly enhances Tello signal and range.

Just to allow portability, stock MIMO antennas are too small. Internal antennas are merely two short cupper traces into internal PCB, as you can see in this promotional image:

intenal antennas xiaomi repeater.jpg

I bet Repeater performance can be improved by replacing internal antennas by external antennas connectors. This way you can use bigger, high gain or directional WIFI antennas easily.

I got a second Xiaomi Repeater and started this modding. I thanks a lot @Stele and @ph2t previous work. You can read their inspiring post here: Mi Repeater 2 moded and Wifi repeater on steroids.....WL-WN570HA1

Here my detailed mod instructions:

-First, open Xiaomi Repeater case. A bit of brute force needed as no screws presented. Tools used were a knife and a screwdriver. At the end you will get internal pcb, usb wired connector and two case plastic halves.

xiaomi repeater opening.jpg

-Second, disconnect internal antennas desoldering pads

xiaomi repeater antenna pads.jpg

-Third, I bought at amazon two SMA pigtails. You have to solder then at the back side of PCB. Pads for soldering are so clear that makes me think Xiaomi planned to use them in another release. Remember gluing coaxial wires preventing unexpected pulls.

sma pigtail.jpgxiaomi repeater solder external antennas.jpg

-Fourth: Cut stock USB connector wires and replace with a one or two meters one. I use one from a discarded phone charger.

xiaomi repeatir usb plug.jpg

-Fifth: get a container box. I got this 160 mm x 95 mm x 55 mm from amazon Velleman WCAH2851 Negro - Caja (De plástico, Negro, 160 mm, 95 mm, 55 mm): Amazon.es: Bricolaje y herramientas

box.jpg

-Sixth: drill two holes for SMA and an smaller one for USB feeding cable. Antennas are about 13 centimeters apart, very close to WIFI 2.4Ghz wavelenght. I read a lot and It seems that a minimum separation of one quarter of wavelenght is recommended, but this is something to experiment with.

xiaomi mod drilling.jpg

-Seventh: screw box and plug external antennas. You are ready !

xiaomi mod finished.jpg

I'll test and post results as soon as possible.

All the best

raul.

EDITED 21/02/2019: I'm disappointed with my external antennas mod. After several test into residential area (about 15 ones 2.4ghz networks around, so moderate / heavy interference) I realized it performs quite similar stock Xiaomi Repeater. It not worth it.

EDITED AGAIN 25/03/2019: I discovered a broken antenna wire that can explain bad results.

Last edited:
Hmmmmmm tello antenna needs to be beefed up too at some stage... it is the weak link.

Is this flight yours? If so, next time you do this, can you record the screen, instead of the video feed? That way we can see the telemetry on screen and see how far you went.

No the video is not mine .. I only found this test on Youtube.

Is this flight yours? If so, next time you do this, can you record the screen, instead of the video feed? That way we can see the telemetry on screen and see how far you went.
how to record screen on iphone huh?

oi, desculpe não falo ingles. Esse é o meu roteador tl-wr849n configurado como repetidor e de forma portátil. Use o diodo 1n4007 para poder carregar uma bateria de 9v 400 ma com uma propria fonte do tp-link. Uma chave liga / desliga intercalando a bateria na placa. devo testar a distância de voo com o tello depois. sinal está em 70% a 30 metros de altura.
voei 8 baterias com uma unica carga no repetidor.
abraço do Brasil
Elias.

Attachments

• tl-wr849n(1).jpg
    tl-wr849n(1).jpg
    811.2 KB · Views: 172
  • tl-wr849n(2).jpg
    tl-wr849n(2).jpg
    1 MB · Views: 172
  • tl-wr849n(3).JPG
    tl-wr849n(3).JPG
    294.6 KB · Views: 164
how to record screen on iphone huh?

On iPhone go to settings, control center, customize controls and move screen recording to active section (bottom section to top section). Exit settings.

Then before you take off, bring up the control center (swipe up from bottom or swipe down from top right depending on which version of iOS you are running). Timer will countdown and start recording your screen. Be sure to do the same to shut screen recording off to save it after landing.

On iPhone go to settings, control center, customize controls and move screen recording to active section (bottom section to top section). Exit settings.

Then before you take off, bring up the control center (swipe up from bottom or swipe down from top right depending on which version of iOS you are running). Timer will countdown and start recording your screen. Be sure to do the same to shut screen recording off to save it after landing.
Oh yeah that’s it! Thx

I improved a bit my mod adding a WIFI reflector.

I was inspired by freeantennas.com Winsurfer project: Ez-12

I modified template for fitting my 12 cm gap antennas, stretching reflector. My template can be printed onto A4 regular size paper.

windsurfer modified for xiaomi repeater.jpg

And this is final result. Beautiful, isn't it ?

xiaomi windsurfer.jpg

Range test are very promising. This morning I got 619 meters in a quick test:

tello 620 mts.jpg

raul.

Last edited:
Here it's full 619 meters test video. This way you could see scary moments due bad video signal. You have to get over when you want to reach limits ;)

Notice strong wind day. I flew againts wind direction, that way it helps me coming back to the takeoff point.

I flew over a empty street about 500 meters long. It helped me be oriented when video quality went bad.

enjoy.

Here it's full 619 meters test video. This way you could see scary moments due bad video signal. You have to get over when you want to reach limits ;)

Notice strong wind day. I flew againts wind direction, that way it helps me coming back to the takeoff point.

I flew over a empty street about 500 meters long. It helped me be oriented when video quality went bad.

enjoy.
Is that one of the ghost towns Spain is famous for?

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Repiv