Hello Tello Pilot!
Join our DJI Tello community & remove this banner.

Android phones that work with Tello

First gen Moto G works fine - video good (have not tried long range).

Tesco Hudl 2 (This is a UK only 7" tablet) works fine - video good (have not tried long range). This tablet has HDMI out and is a solution for UK users who want to fly FPV with DJI's Goggles :). The tablet can probably be bought on Ebay cheaply.

Moto G6 plus. This is the latest in the G series with Android 8 (Oreo) - does NOT work - can log onto the aircraft's wifi but no connection in app

Edit: The Moto G6 plus does work now if I first go into Aeroplane mode and then turn on wifi (and bt for my controller)

o/t Just as example of what a mad connected world we live in now, when I turned bt on to connect to my controller the radio programme that I was listening to on my Audio/Video Receiver went off and when I looked at the TV screen it said it was connected to my phone !
and now I have downloaded the Tello Pilot app and all the voice commands that are generated when you touch any of the icons are coming out of our stereo system (at least they are very high quality !!)

Last edited:
Reactions: spannerman
I use a Galaxy S9+. I have to turn mobile data off which is a pain but it works fine. One problem is when looking at pictures from the drone in the gallery, they are partially greyed out, but fine in the tello app. Also if you send them via text even though they are greyed out and distorted looking, they send fine and are received fine.

I have same issue Samsung Galaxy S8+. I must turn off Mobile data. Otherwise works fine with t1d and tello.

I've seen some posts/rants in other places about android phones that don't work with the Tello. So, how about a listing of phones or tablets that you've successfully flown your Tello with. I've tried three so far:

Essential PH-1 - doesn't work. Connects to the wifi but I never get a picture from the Tello camera.
Motorola G4 - works great. This is what I've flown with since day one on my Tello. Controls are very responsive and everything works, no hiccups.
Huaweii 7" tablet - works. I tried this one out this morning just to see if flying with a tablet was better than a phone. Worked just fine but my first impression was that the controls weren't as responsive as the Moto G4.
Mine is not listed.but working perfectly...
Lenovo Zuk Z2

Galaxy Tab A (SM-T550) - flew fine. Photos don't display in the Samsung Gallery app but look fine Pixlr

Samsung S7 Edge - flew fine. Couldn't take photos.

The Galaxy Tab record video and take Photos or only fly?, I want a buy this Tablet. thanks

Samsung Galaxy A3 (SM-A300FU) phone works great into unofficial apps aTelloPilot and aTello. Not working right into official app Tello becouse of not fluent video and lost frames.

Samsung Galaxy Tab A (2016) works great into every app.

Huawei P Smart works perfectly (only tried in airplanemode and Xiaomi wifi repeater 2).
Regards

Google Pixel 2 XL running android 9
I’m able to connect with WiFi and able to connect to the drone if i turn on airplane mode and then go through the app. However I am able to to the auto take off and land but have no other controls. Once I land, I am no longer able to fly the drone and have to close the app and start all over again

LG Q6 works. However, i need to disconnect from home wifi in order to get live feed from the drone. If you experience a black video feed, check of you are connect to your home wifi. Putting your phone in flightmode and only wifi on still connects to your wifi router, you have to manually remove it. I think this is a bug in the app software.

Using the Tello App (Philippine Mobile Phone) Cherry Flare S3 Power running on Android 4.4.2 works way better than my Sony Xperia Z1 and Samsung Galaxy Tab A 8" ;)

Nokia 6.1 (AndroidOne), running Oreo 8.1, works perfectly. I get pretty smooth video with Xiaomi repeater.
I guess other AndroidOne phones running the clean Android shouldn't have any compatibility problems either.
EDIT: phone updated to Android 9 Pie, works even smoother than 8.1, if possible

Last edited:

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Repiv