Hello Tello Pilot!
Join our DJI Tello community & remove this banner.

Android phones that work with Tello

Nexus 7, Lenovo S90A, Honor 8, Honor 9 - all are working with stock app and aTelloPilot.

It appears the Moto g7 plus does not work with the standard tello app. The drone flies but green lines on feed and weird black and white video recording. Dear Volatello might I hope your app will work. The **** thing - which is such fuunnn - flies fine with an ancient galaxy S5 and takes video. But the g7plus is a much nicer phone. Has anyone any ideas? Have done the permissions thing, reinstalled the app 3 times, turned off mobile data, put phone into aircraft mode etc but no luck. Having graduated from a toy (e58) to this I am astonished with it. Unbelievable for such a low price (50 quid on eBay)

It appears the Moto g7 plus does not work with the standard tello app. The drone flies but green lines on feed and weird black and white video recording. Dear Volatello might I hope your app will work. The **** thing - which is such fuunnn - flies fine with an ancient galaxy S5 and takes video. But the g7plus is a much nicer phone. Has anyone any ideas? Have done the permissions thing, reinstalled the app 3 times, turned off mobile data, put phone into aircraft mode etc but no luck. Having graduated from a toy (e58) to this I am astonished with it. Unbelievable for such a low price (50 quid on eBay)
Please test with the Demo. Should work

Last edited:
I have an iPhone with ATT. If I get an Android phone to fly Tello, how do I use it? Do I have to switch SIM cards? Can I somehow add it to my ATT plan? I have to get the app right? So if I get the app I have to be on some network system right.

I know this is basic to you guys, but your guidance would be appreciated.

I have an iPhone with ATT. If I get an Android phone to fly Tello, how do I use it? Do I have to switch SIM cards? Can I somehow add it to my ATT plan? I have to get the app right? So if I get the app I have to be on some network system right.

I know this is basic to you guys, but your guidance would be appreciated.
When I got my Android phone to use with Tello FPV it was an extra T-Mobile phone from a friend with no SIM card and that is the way I use it to fly my Tello. No cell connection because no SIM card. Since the Android was free from a friend I don’t mind a phone dedicated to flying my Tello.

Good Luck & Fly Safe!

When I got my Android phone to use with Tello FPV it was an extra T-Mobile phone from a friend with no SIM card and that is the way I use it to fly my Tello. No cell connection because no SIM card. Since the Android was free from a friend I don’t mind a phone dedicated to flying my Tello.

Good Luck & Fly Safe!
So you can get an app without having the phone registered anywhere? Don't you need to be able to go to the App Store?

@rookie -- you can control Tello with wifi only. I fly mostly with an old tablet with no cellular connectivity at all. There's also official Tello app for iPhone by Ryze, so you don't even have to cope with Android. Still, popular consensus here is that TelloFPV is the way to go -- and it's Android only. So, the only place you'd need to register is Google, to be able to purchase T.FPV.

There's one caveat -- TelloFPV wants to verify its license for first two days after installing, so during that time you should start the app while being connected to wifi.

Hello everyone!

Just bought my first drone at the age of 42...yeah a bit late but whatever :), and I assumed that the DJI/Ryze Tello Boost Combo (TLW004) I just bought would work on my old Samsung Galaxy S4 (GT-I9505 with android 4.3) but no. I can fly the drone and control it but there is no video-feed - just green lines across the screen as shown in a previous post. Is there any hack or something that will allow me to use my trusty old S4 with this drone??
And I cannot upgrade to android 4.4-something...seems like I´m stuck with android 4.3 on this phone.
Have also tried switching on flight-mode and the other things, turning mobile data off etc..etc...googled about this many hours.

Or maybe I will buy a new cheap smartphone, but will the drone and app work on android 9.0 pie or android 8 oreo or android nougat 7???
I live in Sweden so there are a lot of phones to choose from and I have seen it work on my friends old Samsung S7...but it´s a bit risky buying a used smartphone and I would rather buy a new one as my trusty old S4 is from 2013...yeah, I take care of my stuff! :geek:

The list of compatible android phones from Tellos official site is a bit wierd and maybe not updated?
I mean when you buy a brand new drone you must then search for an old phone from way back just to use this thing!?
And the phone can not be too old or too new but it must be riiight in the middle.....what??

It does not make sense so I would be VERY grateful for your input, what do you guys (and girls?) recommend?
And has anyone got this thing to work with a new "cheap" phone bought this year, 2019???

Many thanks in advance and greetings from a cold and rainy northern Sweden/// Daniel

Hello everyone!

Welcome @KingPin (Daniel).

Wow, what an amazing introduction. Never too old for a new hobby!

Stock Tello app requires Android 4.4 (minimum).

There's TelloFPV demo/full (requires Android 5.0).

Ran stock Tello and TelloFPV apps on Android 9.0.

Now running stock Tello and TelloFPV apps on Android 10.0 (Pixel XL).

Sounds like an used (or new) Android device (phone/tablet) would meet your needs given availability in your market. Used smartphone a bit risky?

Cheers!

Is there any hack or something that will allow me to use my trusty old S4 with this drone??
And I cannot upgrade to android 4.4-something...seems like I´m stuck with android 4.3 on this phone.
Your best bet would be to research on how to root that S4 and install Lineage OS (formerly CyanogenMod)... or buy a used S5 off of eBay - that's what I did - 80 bucks and done!

Reactions: ZWActual
Your best bet would be to research on how to root that S4 and install Lineage OS (formerly CyanogenMod)... or buy a used S5 off of eBay - that's what I did - 80 bucks and done!
if you even remotely consider VR FPV then get the S6 just to enjoy VR FPV in full resolution

S4 under lineageos works very well, but has bad bluetooth interference. Not very useable with BT controller. With bluetooth off it gives pretty smooth video and good range

Last edited:
Hello everyone!

Just bought my first drone at the age of 42...yeah a bit late but whatever :), and I assumed that the DJI/Ryze Tello Boost Combo (TLW004) I just bought would work on my old Samsung Galaxy S4 (GT-I9505 with android 4.3) but no. I can fly the drone and control it but there is no video-feed - just green lines across the screen as shown in a previous post. Is there any hack or something that will allow me to use my trusty old S4 with this drone??
Have also tried switching on flight-mode and the other things, turning mobile data off etc..etc...googled about this many hours.

Or maybe I will buy a new cheap smartphone, but will the drone and app work on android 9.0 pie or android 8 oreo or android nougat 7???
I live in Sweden so there are a lot of phones to choose from and I have seen it work on my friends old Samsung S7...but it´s a bit risky buying a used smartphone and I would rather buy a new one as my trusty old S4 is from 2013...yeah, I take care of my stuff! :geek:

The list of compatible android phones from Tellos official site is a bit wierd and maybe not updated?
I mean when you buy a brand new drone you must then search for an old phone from way back just to use this thing!?
And the phone can not be too old or too new but it must be riiight in the middle.....what??

It does not make sense so I would be VERY grateful for your input, what do you guys (and girls?) recommend?
And has anyone got this thing to work with a new "cheap" phone bought this year, 2019???

Many thanks in advance and greetings from a cold and rainy northern Sweden/// Daniel

Kingpin Hej !

I enjoyed your post. I was there ...I feel your pain! I had an older Samsung too... and gradually all the apps for my toys got too new and I could not use them because, like you I could not update past 4.3

As for the Tello list of compatible phones... it is not accurate. I bought a cheap, pre-paid (no sim card) Huawei Novalite 2... Cheap. I bought it a few months ago. I use it on my bigger DJI drones..JUST for the Drones. You can connect it to wi-fi and it works fine. For your benefit :--) I just downloaded the Tello app and it works fine! So I would say keep your beloved antique :--) Samsung and get a cheap Huawei or... and use it to fly your Tello. The Huawei model number might be different but generally the same... You will be flying fine soon.

Also I would say get a Gamesir controller just to make things easier.

Where in northern Sweden? once upon a time I walked across the border form Finland... went eventually to Abisko.... great time.

Tak!

Welcome @KingPin (Daniel).

Wow, what an amazing introduction. Never too old for a new hobby!

Stock Tello app requires Android 4.4 (minimum).

There's TelloFPV demo/full (requires Android 5.0).

Ran stock Tello and TelloFPV apps on Android 9.0.

Now running stock Tello and TelloFPV apps on Android 10.0 (Pixel XL).

Sounds like an used (or new) Android device (phone/tablet) would meet your needs given availability in your market. Used smartphone a bit risky?

Cheers!

Thanks for all the help and input!
I´m a bit confused about the different versions of android-systems, the android 9.0 youre talking about, is that the "pie" version or is it some earlier version you had? So many threads about "pie" having problems with this drone.
Was very tempted to buy a new cheap Samsung Galaxy A10 but then I googled about android 9.0 Pie and saw all the trouble people are having with that...

Will probably get a used Samsung Galaxy S7 that I know will work and it´s on the Tello-list..

Kingpin Hej !

I enjoyed your post. I was there ...I feel your pain! I had an older Samsung too... and gradually all the apps for my toys got too new and I could not use them because, like you I could not update past 4.3

As for the Tello list of compatible phones... it is not accurate. I bought a cheap, pre-paid (no sim card) Huawei Novalite 2... Cheap. I bought it a few months ago. I use it on my bigger DJI drones..JUST for the Drones. You can connect it to wi-fi and it works fine. For your benefit :--) I just downloaded the Tello app and it works fine! So I would say keep your beloved antique :--) Samsung and get a cheap Huawei or... and use it to fly your Tello. The Huawei model number might be different but generally the same... You will be flying fine soon.

Also I would say get a Gamesir controller just to make things easier.

Where in northern Sweden? once upon a time I walked across the border form Finland... went eventually to Abisko.... great time.

Tak!

Thanks for your input and help!

I just googled Huawei Novalite 2 and it´s not for sale here in Sweden, as for many other cheap phones listed in this thread. Was tempted to buy a new Samsung Galaxy A10 that seems to be able to run the app and drone but then I saw it was running the Android 9.0 Pie system...many threads with problems running Pie after googling...
But then again, the phone is so cheap that it might be worth the risk...

I think I will most likely buy a used Samsung S7 from a dealer with 3 month warranty, a refurbished phone.
That will probably be the easiest way to get my drone and app working...

By the way, I´m located in Kalix, about a 30 minute drive from the finnish border :)

Thanks again for your help! //Daniel (soon to be flying...I hope)

Reactions: Yo-dude
@KingPin

Indeed, Android 9.0 is Pie.

Not sure what issues you're reading about Pie and the Tello or just general Pie issues.

Current phone is a Pixel XL which runs pure Android OS (none of the bloatware, ads, launchers, etc. on other vendor devices). Have not encountered any showstoppers with 9.0 or otherwise. Also have TelloFPV running on an Android tablet (6.0).

That said, a S7 is a good choice. Owned a S7 Edge previously so you can't go wrong. Good luck. Keep us posted.

It would be good if a mod could take over the OP`s original thread and list all phones that work, and just update the first page
as members list new phones that work. It would save members a helluva lot of time.

I just got a huawei p20. works great. (don`t know if it has been listed didn`t want to go through 9 pages)

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Repiv