Hello Tello Pilot!
Join our DJI Tello community & remove this banner.

Android phones that work with Tello

Pixel XL which runs pure Android OS (none of the bloatware, ads, launchers, etc. on other vendor devices).
OK, with that you have my full rapt attention. :) I'm shopping for a newer/better (used) phone and the phrase 'pure / no bloatware' sounds great to me!

After a little research, I see the Pixel 3 XL is out of my budget right now. In your opinion, of the older models, which is the best bang/buck? 1,2,3, the XLs? lots of models out there. Prices from $72 to $839! o_O

Which gen do you have? TIA

Last edited:
Hey @umanbean

Would've replied earlier but work is just getting in the way today. ;)

You're a fairly technical individual and detailed oriented so I won't bore you with the all out specs.

Indeed, the Pixel line of phones are pure, stock Android. Very responsive and silky smooth scrolling without the overhead of other system's UI. Currently rocking the original Pixel XL 128Gb (2016) and as previously mentioned, just got the latest update to Android 10.0 (Q).

Pixel 4 & 4 XL are due out soon and you'll see prices on the 3 & 3 XL reduce in costs on the primary (Amazon) and secondary (eBay) markets (as with any tech product).

The other benefit (IMHO) is that Google releases major and security updates to their phone lines first with other manufacturers (and carriers) following suit (a few months later, if you're lucky, or not).

Take a look at this scheduled service timeline:

IMHO, the sweet spot would be a refurbished Pixel 2 or 2 XL @ 128Gb or the 3a/XL line (IP rating and material finishes are different with all else being equal) with cost in mind and the product support period still in effect.

Not stock Android but close is the OnePlus (Never Settle) line. Fast hardware/spec at a relatively palatable price point...

Reactions: umanbean
IMHO, the sweet spot would be a refurbished Pixel 2 or 2 XL @ 128Gb
Exactly! Thank you for confirming. I've been searching, mulling specs, and pricing Amazon, ebay, etc... and the 2 or 2XL 128 is what I was thinking also.

Now just need to decide on 5" or 6"... do you think the XL size is too big for an average old nerd? ;) I'm used to the S3, and S5 is what I'm using now... Would the XL fit into the average VR goggles? And I'm used to a belt holster most of my waking hrs. and wondering if XL would be too big.

Pesky work!... always gettin' in the way!

@umanbean

Droning use aside, I would go for the XL (6") with the near-quad HD resolution (2880 x 1440), higher pixels per inch and a higher-amperage battery - if those things are important in your daily usage.

I'm still able to one-hand the Pixel XL (5.5") whereas the trend towards phablet (6" +) devices makes things unwieldy; IMHO. Not sure which holster (brand) you use but Ottercase is solid but bulky. I prefer either Spigen (www.spigen.com), dbrand (www.dbrand.com) or UAG (urbanarmorgear.com) cases/skins to cut down on the profile.

2 XL would be fine for limited VR drone usage. Have a Google Daydream View but the phone will run hot after 20 minutes of use (drone and other apps) and will go into cool down mode. I would get dedicated FPV goggles for droning if that was the question. For non-drone use, I have a Oculus Quest.

For what it's worth, I have used the S3, S5 and S7 Edge previously.

Hope that helps.

Work is a four-letter-word but it pays for the toys. ;)

Reactions: umanbean
Hello fellow droners.

A couple of days ago I bought the newest, cheapest smartphone to try and get the Tello flying.
(As mentioned in the previous posts on page 9 I could not get it to work with my old Samsung S4).

The phone I bought was a Samsung Galaxy A10 (SM-A105FN) running Android 9.0 Pie, and it works! YES!
I´m using the Tello-app and also a Xiaomi Mi 2 wifi-repeater running of a small powerbank.
Also been switching on flight-mode on the phone to maximize the performance when running the drone.
As always with a new phone there is a lot of unnecessary apps and features that should be deleted...:geek:

This is a link to the phone I bought if anyone is interested:

Have been flying around in my back yard and these are some of my impressions so far:
- Samsung Galaxy A10 works fine although it´s not on "the list".
- No frame skips yet but the movement is a bit twitchy (maybe my fault as newbie-pilot).
- Ok video shots if you just run it over the object in a straight line.
- Probably will get a hand controller with joysticks to be able to fly it better.
- Video quality 720x1080 30fps is ok for my purposes (filming old cars).
- Must be absolutely no wind if you want to get good footage.
- 3 batteries with the stand alone battery charger is very good to have (boost combo).
- Thank god for the propeller guards if you are a newbie...
- I will never use the silly built in features, flips etc...do kids use them?
- All video files get stored on the phone as mp4 and are easy to find and transfer to pc.
- Wish it would have got a better box more suited for transportation.

I was very impressed with the help and customer service at the store where I bought the phone.
If the A10 could not fly the drone I could swap to another phone model from the store.
Got to fly the drone in the store to see that everything was working, that was incredible!
Big thanks to Elgiganten located at Storheden Luleå! (y)

//Daniel

The phone I bought was a Samsung Galaxy A10 (SM-A105FN) running Android 9.0 Pie, and it works! YES!
Congratulations, glad you got a new phone that works and that it's Android...
Because:
I´m using the Tello-app
Now you can forget the oem Tello app and step up to Tellofpv.... more than a 'step up' actually.... it's a giant leap! Best $5.49 USD I've ever spent on anything drone related, not kidding.

It's in the Google Play Store, and you can download and try the demo first.

Disclaimer: I am in no way affiliated with Tellofpv or the developer. I simply consider it to bring the Tello up to a higher level of enjoyment and functionality.

Reactions: ZWActual
Congratulations, glad you got a new phone that works and that it's Android...
Because:

Now you can forget the oem Tello app and step up to Tellofpv.... more than a 'step up' actually.... it's a giant leap! Best $5.49 USD I've ever spent on anything drone related, not kidding.

It's in the Google Play Store, and you can download and try the demo first.

Disclaimer: I am in no way affiliated with Tellofpv or the developer. I simply consider it to bring the Tello up to a higher level of enjoyment and functionality.

Thanks!

Yes will probably try Tellofpv-app and buy a controller later on.
Tomorrow I will go to an abandoned airfield to really fly the Tello where there are no obstacles.
And also try to get some nice shots of my old classic 1969 Volvo 144... :)

@KingPin

Congrats on your new purchase. Glad to hear your Android version fears are abated (hopefully). Based upon your description and setup, methinks you're fooling us - you're no drone noob. :)

Enjoy your flights.

@KingPin

Congrats on your new purchase. Glad to hear your Android version fears are abated (hopefully). Based upon your description and setup, methinks you're fooling us - you're no drone noob. :)

Enjoy your flights.

Thanks!

Yes I am a total noob when it comes to these things, I kind of hate dealing with these type of installations...
I like using tech but the process of installing, doing initial setup with 20 passwords etc....I just absolutely hate it. :)

Big difference noticed on the video-feed when I got the xiaomi-repeater to work, very smooth video...
Found the thread for the setup-guide on this site and it was helpful, now the blue light is shining and everything is connected... //Daniel

Reactions: ZWActual
I have used LG G6, SAMSUNG S4, LG G4, SAMSUNG TAB A, HUDL 2 and Lenovo 7 tablet, all work great with the Tello, with the Gamesir T1S both using BT and OTG cable, and wifi repeater. Just bought the Tello for indoor and garden use and I'm so impressed!!! Flying a Spark for a couple of years, and If the Tello had a a 1080 camera, a gimbal, and could move the camera angle up and down remotely, it would do almost everything I do with the Spark. My first love will always be my Spark though.

Reactions: Yo-dude
I'm using Samsung Galaxy s6 and videos and photos are fine. Gallery application shows photos as greyed but i was able to access the photos via MyFiles and assigning
another application to view them. Flight control seems ok but I'm most likely to get a controller as I'm not used to phones as controllers.
Should have mentioned I'm using the tellofpv app.

Hello fellow droners.

A couple of days ago I bought the newest, cheapest smartphone to try and get the Tello flying.
(As mentioned in the previous posts on page 9 I could not get it to work with my old Samsung S4).

I´m using the Tello-app and also a Xiaomi Mi 2 wifi-repeater running of a small powerbank.
Also been switching on flight-mode on the phone to maximize the performance when running the drone.
As always with a new phone there is a lot of unnecessary apps and features that should be deleted...:geek:

This is a link to the phone I bought if anyone is interested:

Have been flying around in my back yard and these are some of my impressions so far:
- Samsung Galaxy A10 works fine although it´s not on "the list".
- No frame skips yet but the movement is a bit twitchy (maybe my fault as newbie-pilot).
- Ok video shots if you just run it over the object in a straight line.
- Probably will get a hand controller with joysticks to be able to fly it better.
- Video quality 720x1080 30fps is ok for my purposes (filming old cars).
- Must be absolutely no wind if you want to get good footage.
- 3 batteries with the stand alone battery charger is very good to have (boost combo).
- Thank god for the propeller guards if you are a newbie...
- I will never use the silly built in features, flips etc...do kids use them?
- All video files get stored on the phone as mp4 and are easy to find and transfer to pc.
- Wish it would have got a better box more suited for transportation.

I was very impressed with the help and customer service at the store where I bought the phone.
If the A10 could not fly the drone I could swap to another phone model from the store.
Got to fly the drone in the store to see that everything was working, that was incredible!
Big thanks to Elgiganten located at Storheden Luleå! (y)

//Daniel

Daniel - Great to hear you are flying! and that your new phone works. As mentioned that 'compatible list' they have is almost meaningless. I am afraid to say that the video may not get much better. I even mounted a ultra small video camera on top., mixed results. yeah I know what you mean about the flips. Once or twice, then yawn.

A few things...You can get a carry box that protects it quite well for about 6 Euro
I know you don't have Amazon there but...

It holds the Tello and 4 batteries.

I would really recommend the Gamesir controller (make sire you get the correct one). It is really nice... You can really enjoy flying it...steering with your hands and watching it, instead of being fixed on your phone. There is a phone holder, etc. so you can really relax...

All the best!

Chaz

Hello. I consider buying "Ryze Tello drone - Boost-kombo" to my sons 11th birthday this week. I get a little worry when i read the supported phone list and review from people. He has a Sony Xperia XZ1 compact with android 9. He can also borrow my Huawei p20pro with android 10.

Can someone confirm that one of this phones with that os work?
Tello support told me no, and just gave me the official supported phone list.

Due to covid 19 there is not possible to return the drone and get money back.

Thank you.

I can't confirm either of those phones but if it can connect to WiFi then it ought to be OK as the Tello looks like just a WiFi hotspot to the phone. I recommend that you immediately purchase TelloFPV from the Play Store and use that, although you need to use the official Tello app for the first time to activate the drone.

I have been less successful finding USB game controllers that my Android phones will recognise that I can use with TelloFPV. It seems to vary from type of phone to type of phone. One of my phones recognises only an Xbox controller, another only recognises older DirectInput controllers, several more don't recognise either! There is an app called GamePad Tester on the Play Store. If that sees the controller then it will work with TelloFPV.

Gamepad tester - Apps on Google Play

After trying and throwing away several cheap controllers I now use a Speedlink Strike NX controller
Speedlink Strike NX USB Gamepad SL-650000-BK-01, PC XInput and DirectInput Compatible, Realistic Vibration Function, Ergonomic Shape, Precise Analogue Sticks, 12 Buttons, Black: Amazon.co.uk: Computers & Accessories
It is switchable from Xbox to DirectInput and works on two of my five phones

Reactions: Rottert
Thanks for the reply agraham. :) I have no problem connecting directly for setting up smart devices over wifi etc. Think I'm gonnna gamble on this. I have no cables for connecting gamepads to phone, but did manage to connect ps4 gamepad over bluetooth.
. Screenshot_20200915_201432_ru.elron.gamepadtester.jpg

I guess both phones should work OK with the Tello app.
For TelloFpv I am quite sure because there are no known incompatibilities except Chromebooks

Bought the drone yesterday.
The tello app Worked perfect on my sons xz1 compact with android 9. :)

Even the saved picture and videos from the drone are showing up in his google foto folders :)
We needed only to disable 4g data.

he is really excited now. Thank you so much for the help :)

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Repiv