Hello Tello Pilot!
Join our DJI Tello community & remove this banner.

Android phones that work with Tello

LabRat99

Reaction score
I've seen some posts/rants in other places about android phones that don't work with the Tello. So, how about a listing of phones or tablets that you've successfully flown your Tello with. I've tried three so far:

Essential PH-1 - doesn't work. Connects to the wifi but I never get a picture from the Tello camera.
Motorola G4 - works great. This is what I've flown with since day one on my Tello. Controls are very responsive and everything works, no hiccups.
Huaweii 7" tablet - works. I tried this one out this morning just to see if flying with a tablet was better than a phone. Worked just fine but my first impression was that the controls weren't as responsive as the Moto G4.

Reactions: drrjv
Samsung Galaxy 8+ flies fine. All good except photo thumbnails are grey, all but useless.

Huawei mate 10 pro Android 8.0 Oreo, flies fine. All good except video record are grey and green lines... Photo is OK.

Attachments

• te.jpg
    te.jpg
    510.5 KB · Views: 18
Reactions: Derek stev
Update on the Essential PH-1...I read a post in the help section on here about things to try if you're not getting a video feed from the Tello to your phone. The two things suggested were turn on USB debugging and turn off mobile data usage. The first thing I tried was to see if I could fly the Tello as the phone was. I hadn't bothered to even try when I had no video feed, I assumed it wouldn't work at all. Not true. I was able to fly the drone, just not video. Next I tried turning on USB debugging. No change, Tello flies but no video. Finally, I turned off mobile data usage. That did the trick! The Tello flies AND has video feed. Also, I turned the USB debugging back off and The Tello still had video feed so it looks like the only change needed to make it work on the Essential phone is turning off mobile data usage.

So, how about a listing of phones or tablets that you've successfully flown your Tello with.

My LG V10 (android) worked equally as well as my iPad Mini 4 (iOS) -- until I updated to the recommended firmware.

After the update, the aircraft failed to launch with either device.

Note: As always, I delayed updating until other early adopters had reported better performance as a result of doing so.

DJI says they will replace it for no charge, including shipping forth and back by FEDEX Ground, once they have confirmed that the aircraft is defective.

Cut and paste from Ryze Tech website:

Android version 4.4.0 or later. Compatible with Samsung S7,Samsung S6 edge,Samsung S5,Samsung Galaxy note 4,Samsung Galaxy note 3,Huawei Honor 8,Huawei Honor 9,Huawei P8 Max,Huawei P10,Huawei Honor V8,Huawei P9,Huawei nova2,Xiaomi 6,Xiaomi Note3,Redmi 4A,OnePlus5,vivoX6,Google Pixel1 XL,Google Pixel2.

That's a VERY short list considering there are a ton of android phone makers out there.

That's a VERY short list considering there are a ton of android phone makers out there.

I have a Galaxy S4 and video recording don't work, only answer I got from Ryze was to try with another phone... hope they gonna upgrade this list in the future

I have a Galaxy S4 and video recording don't work, only answer I got from Ryze was to try with another phone... hope they gonna upgrade this list in the future

See my post above. My Essential phone didn't have video, just a black screen. Turning off the mobile data usage setting fixed it. Might be worth a try.

My Moto G4 Plus does not work with the Tello. After connecting, the battery status is shown but I cannot control it and I have no video feed. The drone also gets very hot and shuts off after a while because of overheating.

Reactions: Meybson
Like posted in Post #8 above, my S7 works great with NO issues at all other than video skip on replay.
Fine on screen.
Not done any updates.

My Moto G4 Plus does not work with the Tello. After connecting, the battery status is shown but I cannot control it and I have no video feed. The drone also gets very hot and shuts off after a while because of overheating.

That's odd, I'm using a G4 and it works perfectly. As similar as the phones are I would think the G4+ would work too.

I'm using Samsung Galaxy s6 and videos and photos are fine. Gallery application shows photos as greyed but i was able to access the photos via MyFiles and assigning
another application to view them. Flight control seems ok but I'm most likely to get a controller as I'm not used to phones as controllers.

Ge
I'm using Samsung Galaxy s6 and videos and photos are fine. Gallery application shows photos as greyed but i was able to access the photos via MyFiles and assigning
another application to view them. Flight control seems ok but I'm most likely to get a controller as I'm not used to phones as controllers.
Get used to it lol,
I've never done it before the Tello either but It comes very natural after a few flights trust me.
Pretty soon the future will not know radios or controllers anymore and people will scarcely believe that RC once existed, so pucker up and be adventurous.
These firstborns are most likely the experimental fore runners of in the new world where radios and controllers are for old fogeys to remember.

Reactions: Zeno and costal73

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Repiv