Hello Tello Pilot!
Join our DJI Tello community & remove this banner.

CONTROLLERS - PLEASE READ BEFORE YOU BUY!

Well, if your phone's android, I believe you can try flying tello with any android bluetooth controller with the help of Octopus app. Reported working android bluetooth controller that i know of are:
mad catz c.t.r.l.r, ipega 9021, gamesir t1s
Is Octopus still required for an Android+ipega setup ?

Is Octopus still required for an Android+ipega setup ?

It is by the looks of it, had my tello delivered today and octopus does work with my ipega controller but it creates video lag once bluetooth is turned on, even when in airplane mode (airplane mode is the only way i've found that works to get rid of video lag).......I was thinking of buying the gamesir t1s as I believe it connects via wifi but I want to use a wifi repeater with my Tello so this isn't an option as only 1 wifi can connect to the phone at a time I think :(

I'm using a samsung s7 phone so I'll try my nvidia shield tablet tomorrow now that I've created a baseline test with my phone.

Hi All,
Just got a GameSir for my iPhone 7plus off eBay.
The listing clearly states it is a Tello compatible T1D but having patiently waited, what arrived was a T1S with the instruction manual only in Chinese.
Nonetheless thought I’d try it out so I powered it on and the light was blinking (indicating pairing mode I guess) over the android symbol. I tried several times to pair it in the Tello App (not in phone settings) but no device showed up there at all. I was very frustrated and ready to contact the seller to complain but then I tried again.
I was pressing random button combinations on the controller when suddenly the flashing led light jumped over to the Apple symbol and it then appeared as a BT controller in the Tello app settings page. I selected it and it connected straight away. I still am not sure what key press made the flashing light jump over to the Apple symbol but it MAY have been R2 + Y though I can’t be sure.

Anyway, the controller seems to work fine now with very little lag ?I even flew around in VR mode for a bit just to see what it is like haha.
Also, I have not experienced any appreciable increase in frame dropping while using the controller but have not done any in depth testing of this.

Result !!!

I am on all latest versions

J

UPDATE: Did some more playing around. Powering on by holding Y + HOME sets it to pair with Apple devices. A + HOME is for Android.

Last edited:
Update for you all on trying the Nvidia shield tablet alone without any bluetooth controller.........it work amazingly without having to turn on airplane mode and then reconnect wifi and bluetooth :)

so I had a little fly around on the tablet whilst recording video and taking a few pictures and experienced no lag, I was just about to connect the ipega controller to see if that made a difference to the video lag when I noticed that none of the video or pictures had saved to the device (not in the camera roll or the tello app)

I gave up on connecting the controller for now to research the reason why it wouldn't record on the android nvidia shield but couldn't find anything in the online forums.....the permissions on the app are the same as my phone as in the app on the tablet and it records on my phone perfectly so not sure where to go with this issue :(

So, is it ok using gamesir t1s with iOS or android now ? I plan get t1s but still worry about video skip since it happened A lot without any Bluetooth controller and in airplane mode

Depending on the phone Bluetooth can produce dreadful lag even when it's simply turned on. It's the case on my Lenovo P2 and Spark. With my Bebop I used a wired PS3 controller at one point but the cables made that pretty messy...Will fire up the iPega once the Tello is unwrapped ;-)

I believe it's not available for sale anymore but for those who own the Horipad Ultimate (for iOS) or can find it 2nd hand please know that it works perfectly with the stock Tello app for iOS. Also had a great experience with the wifi extender and controller at the same time...

Anyone had any success with available wired controllers for android so we don't have to turn on bluetooth and experience terrible lag......I still find it hard to believe no update has been provided by Ryze as they must be losing so much revenue due to this massive defect.

Tello IOS App 1.1.6 for IPhone and IPad was launched yesterday. Good thing is my 2 Tello now connected with my GameSir T1s controller. Just need to go to Bluetooth Controller Settings to connect the Gamesir Controller. Btw, my Tello Firmware is still on 01.03.01.03 with no update yet. I've been using the Nimbus Controller on my IPhone X and IPad Pro 9.7" for about 1 month.
Just looked at Amazon _ GameSi T1s controller. Review states, this device will not support Apple.products. How did you create compatibility?

Issue being if you have to connect the controller using Bluetooth you'll run into the video frame skip problem..... Does the t1s work via a cable option as I think the t1d is Bluetooth only?
There are reports, you'll have less dropped frames, if you connect in a certain sequence.

ie Run Tello App>Power On Tello>connect Tello wifi. Then from Tello App>BT to T1d

T1d is bluetooth connection

Reactions: quartelli
There are reports, you'll have less dropped frames, if you connect in a certain sequence.

ie Run Tello App>Power On Tello>connect Tello wifi. Then from Tello App>BT to T1d

T1d is bluetooth connection

I'll give that a go, cheers for the info.

Anyone else have any idea if the t1s remote is able to connect via a cable to negate the need of having to enable Bluetooth?

Hi guys I'm looking into getting a cute little tello, I was wondering has anyone tried connecting an xbox360 controller via OTG? I have a razer sabretooth I'd like to use if possible

Good morning.

I received the Gamesir T1d, this week. After a bit of trouble, following the instructions to a tee, it connected. I had all the funtions of the controller. I thought, great! Finally, a controller that works with Tello and my Android Phone (Galaxy S8).
Not so quick.
As I went to take off, I lost the visual feed to the phone, and all the other displayed data stopped working. The controller still worked. All the functions were operational. Just no video feed.
I tried everything, including uninstalling the Tello app and reinstalling. Game for the T1d update.
I continued to try, at least 10 more times. Same thing exery time.
I'm perplexed.
There are no issues flying when using the phone as the controller. Everything works. It's just when I connect the T1d.
I prefer to fly with the controller. It seems, to me, I have more contol and it easier to fly.
I have been flying DJI product since the P-2 first came out. I have and fly a P-3, Mavic Pro, Spark and Mavic Air regularly. Very few issues with the other products. I like flying and learning with the different drones and thought, and still hope, the Tello would be a neat little thing to play with. I enjoy flying it in smaller areas (family room) that the other products are just not practical for.
Is anyone else experiencing this issue? Does anyone have a fix or a suggestion?
Thanks in advance for any help and enjoy flying this liitle thing. It is really quite an amazing little thing for the money.
Realize o teste de deixar em modo avião e ativar apenas o wi-fi e o bluetooth.
Se o app do controlador desabilitar as permissões de acesso Wi-Fi.

Thanks for the information.
I tried this on my Samsung s7 and on my nvidia shield tablet and it still skips frames..... Shame as its a good fun drone but unless you have an iPhone the only way you can fly on android is with Bluetooth disabled and without a controller ?

I tried this on my Samsung s7 and on my nvidia shield tablet and it still skips frames..... Shame as its a good fun drone but unless you have an iPhone the only way you can fly on android is with Bluetooth disabled and without a controller ?

I used the Tello when I first got it with Samsung S5 & it was fun. Then I got the T1d & it was even more fun. If there was lag, I didn't notice. Now I'm using Tello & T1d with the Wunderphone. Works great. Highest rating on my Fun scale! BTW, I use wifi extender

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Repiv