Hello Tello Pilot!
Join our DJI Tello community & remove this banner.

Drift then no drift. Hmmm.

scottalmas

Reaction score
Issue: Tello slowly drifted to the right upon takeoff both outside and inside until it hit whatever was in its way. I was using the Gamesir controller.

Attempts to resolve:
1. Inspected props. No damage. Replaced anyway. Problem persisted.
2. Multiple re-calibrations, both indoors and outside. Problem persisted.

What happened next?
Feeling frustrated and dinner guests starting to arrive, I put the Tello away. After my guests left, I took out the Tello and tried again, this time without the Gamesir controller.

Outcome:
No more drift. Problem simply self-resolved. I started to think maybe it was the controller, so I connected with the controller. The drifting problem did not reoccur. Hmm.

My Question: Does anyone have an explanation for what happened and how it resolved itself.

Possibly relevant information:
1. All batteries were fully charged (including the controller).
2. Weather was clear with very, very slight wind.
3. My last flight before this incident was indoors and there was no issue.
4. The drift issue began when I took the Tello outdoors and lifted off from dead grass (it's early Spring. I live in the Northeast of the US).
5. After re-calibrating and changing props indoors, the same issue persisted indoors taking off from hard wood floors (which is what I usually do without any issues).

Any ideas?

Thank you in advance for your thoughts on this.

Scott

Issue: Tello slowly drifted to the right upon takeoff both outside and inside until it hit whatever was in its way. I was using the Gamesir controller.

Attempts to resolve:
1. Inspected props. No damage. Replaced anyway. Problem persisted.
2. Multiple re-calibrations, both indoors and outside. Problem persisted.

What happened next?
Feeling frustrated and dinner guests starting to arrive, I put the Tello away. After my guests left, I took out the Tello and tried again, this time without the Gamesir controller.

Outcome:
No more drift. Problem simply self-resolved. I started to think maybe it was the controller, so I connected with the controller. The drifting problem did not reoccur. Hmm.

My Question: Does anyone have an explanation for what happened and how it resolved itself.

Possibly relevant information:
1. All batteries were fully charged (including the controller).
2. Weather was clear with very, very slight wind.
3. My last flight before this incident was indoors and there was no issue.
4. The drift issue began when I took the Tello outdoors and lifted off from dead grass (it's early Spring. I live in the Northeast of the US).
5. After re-calibrating and changing props indoors, the same issue persisted indoors taking off from hard wood floors (which is what I usually do without any issues).

Any ideas?

Thank you in advance for your thoughts on this.

Scott
If the analog stick has issue, it can be intermittent. I had a gamesir t1d which suffered from a crooked right stick over 3 months of usage. Calibration via the app could temperately save it but I do not want to risk it so I got the seller to replace mine. I say perhaps check your sticks' neutral position in calibration app, if something is off try to recentre it in the app. Replace it if possible. The problem is called stick drift, a well known issue among gamer communities.

Broke out my Tello after dinner last night for some indoor fly time. Again, sometimes it drifted; sometimes it didn't. Taking off from the same exact spot on the same hard wood floor under the same lighting conditions. Sometimes with the controller; sometimes without. I calibrated the IMU and the center of gravity and still . . . drift, no drift. Can anyone shed any light on this and provide suggestions on what kind of data to post here that could help in the analysis? So bizarre.

Thank you all.

Broke out my Tello after dinner last night for some indoor fly time. Again, sometimes it drifted; sometimes it didn't. Taking off from the same exact spot on the same hard wood floor under the same lighting conditions. Sometimes with the controller; sometimes without. I calibrated the IMU and the center of gravity and still . . . drift, no drift. Can anyone shed any light on this and provide suggestions on what kind of data to post here that could help in the analysis? So bizarre.

Thank you all.
If it is bot ur controller then it could be low light or confusing ground pattern for tello, monochrome or no pattern or repeated pattern

That seems reasonable. It’s just weird that I never had this issue before Sunday. I’ve been flying indoors this way all winter. Crazy.

Do you think a way to rule out floor pattern is to hand launch from a higher altitude than the floor?

Reactions: VladTheHungarian
That seems reasonable. It’s just weird that I never had this issue before Sunday. I’ve been flying indoors this way all winter. Crazy.

Do you think a way to rule out floor pattern is to hand launch from a higher altitude than the floor?
Just use a properly patterned surface. None repeat and distinct features to the eye. but I will be honest with u it probably isn’t surface cause my tello hover great over monochrome dark blue carpet, hardly any patterns on it

Last edited:

Thank you all.
Maybe a landing pad will help. That big black letter H might do it..... ??

Reactions: Guorium

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Repiv