Hello Tello Pilot!
Join our DJI Tello community & remove this banner.

Help please. One motor not spinning.

Garbin

Reaction score
So basically, I was flying my drone near the patio roof of my house doing random things when my my cousin tried to catch it.

As we know the drone has this sensor that allows it to stay steady, Soo it detected the hand and it crashed to the roof hitting one of the propellers off.

Ive done a calibration and it still won't fly ):

Your help would be highly appreciated.
Also theres no Ryze or DJI service centers here in the PH.

Thanks for the welcoming vibe :)

I checked the motors and i don't think the motor shaft is pancaked into the housing because it is loose.

Also the propellor doesn't move.

Brushed motors don't have a long lifespan. Sounds like a replacement is in order unfortunately.

Take a look at this motor swap step-by-step procedure:
Let us know how it turns out. Good luck!

Reactions: Garbin
So basically, I was flying my drone near the patio roof of my house doing random things when my my cousin tried to catch it.

As we know the drone has this sensor that allows it to stay steady, Soo it detected the hand and it crashed to the roof hitting one of the propellers off.

Ive done a calibration and it still won't fly ):

Your help would be highly appreciated.
Also theres no Ryze or DJI service centers here in the PH.
Make sure you can fit the prop replacing tool that comes with tello between the prop and the motor. The props must NOT touch the top of the motors to run freely. If that doesn't work the motor is gone, but the good news is that you can replace it with some skill. there are videos online teaching you how to replace tello motors. there are some different models of motors similar to tello's motors but i recommend you to get these: 8520 Motor 8.5x20mm 15000KV
i´ve changed motors a few times and these are the best i've tried, they are just like the original ones. I order them from aliexpress. Make sure they are 15000KV motors.

Reactions: Garbin
Okay, I'll look for that motors online and i'll try to find the most quick delivery date since i need it repaired soon.

Thanks for the help!

@Garbin

If you want an alternative to the stock motors.

I'm shopping for a set of replacement motors, to keep for backups. At over twice the price are these worth it?... that much better than Amazon offerings?
They might not be that much better than Amazon's or AliExpress' offerings but I'm looking for better than or equal to stock in performance. These are purported to have better thrust and punch-out for brushed motors which is the elusive unicorn of Tello motors. Will let you know if I pull the trigger.

I tend to drive the Tello hard as evidenced by a graveyard of shattered props and guards. And cracked the Tello underside yesterday smacking the deck in sports mode at max attitude. :rolleyes:

They might not be that much better than Amazon's or AliExpress' offerings but I'm looking for better than or equal to stock in performance. These are purported to have better thrust and punch-out for brushed motors which is the elusive unicorn of Tello motors. Will let you know if I pull the trigger.

I tend to drive the Tello hard as evidenced by a graveyard of shattered props and guards. And cracked the Tello underside yesterday smacking the deck in sports mode at max attitude. :rolleyes:
Thank you

In answer to @Token2695 I included above screenshot

Reactions: Token2695
This is far from a quick tip but I thought it would help.
I'm not an expert or anything but I think this forum has all the information you need, but it's kind of spread all over. I bought some 8520 motors and replaced the original ones but my flight time went from about 10 minutes to 6/5 minutes. Why?! There was nothing wrong with my sloppy soldering so the problem must be the new motors!:unsure: Well, I used them anyway. They were working great! But 5 minutes of flight time is not enough so I researched online about brushed motors and realized the new motors I had were too powerfull. They were draining the hell out of my batteries and tello wasn't really going faster in my experience but I had the impression it was responding or reacting better. So the size of the motor 8520 obviously and the kV factor are the things to look for when buying motors for tello. I read somewhere that tello used 15000kV motors so I went for those and now I'm getting my 10 minutes flight time again! But there was still a problem, I had to solder the wires everytime to tellos PCB. I think that is the greatest issue about replacing motors on tello. So I compromised the aesthetics and safety of tello to make it easier to me to replace motors. The sollution 2 Pin JST-1.25 connectors and some minor changes. Some motor don't have JST connectors so look for the ones which have them.
I had to open holes to pass the JST connetors through tellos arms but I'm ok with it.

2 Pin JST-1.25 connectors:

s-l1600.jpgIMG_20190910_181555.jpgIMG_20190910_181623.jpgIMG_20190910_181531.jpgIMG_20190910_185050.jpgIMG_20190910_185015.jpg

Last edited:

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Repiv