Hello Tello Pilot!
Join our DJI Tello community & remove this banner.

New app: TelloFPV for Android

Removed for further investigation. It doesn't seem to work, it keeps using whatever bitrate was set before:
If you have 4Mb and tap Auto it stays on 4Mb. If you instead slide the handle from 4Mb to auto and pass 1Mb as the last step before Auto then Tello uses 1Mb. Because TellFpv sends these intermediate changes to Tello, and Auto doesn't really do anything.

I need to check again on a protocol level what Ryze does and what the effects are, but it appears to be just the same. They just don't send the sliding steps to tello, but the overall problem is the same. If you have 1.5Mb selected, and then select auto Tello keeps using 1.5Mb.

@volate!lo,

I read carefully what you said about bitrate. I was surprised becouse I was using bitrate AUTO from months. I performed some test I want to share with you:

AUTO BITRATE REPORT

From the web
video bitrate is the number of bits that are processed in a unit of time
When applied to Tello It means higher bitrates gives us better image resolution at the expense of less fluidity/less smoothnes/more dropped frames.

I didn't know video bitrate can be measured by software tools. This task can be achieved by free tools like BitRate Viewer or VLC Media Player. As I have recorded hundreds of videos in AUTO bitrate I performed a deep study:

I discover all of my TelloFPV AUTO bitrate videos follows same pattern. Video starts at 4 Mb/s high bitrate and continues with that value until drone moves away and signal gets worse, that moment bitrate decreases until it reaches lowest value 1 Mb/s and it will not rise to high values anymore, no matter signal increases. See this sample:

tellofpv bitrate auto test vlc.jpg

It means AUTO bitrate WORKS but it does not work well, becouse bitrate should increase at the end of flight when returning home and video link signal improves.

I continued testing. I try an old @bluejune aTelloPilot video. I was shocked discovering AUTO bitrate WORKS PERFECT.

atellopilot bitrate auto test vlc.jpg

Notice high bitrates at the start of flight, bitrate decreases as Tello moves away and bitrate increasing again at the end of flight. I reviewed this old aTelloPilot videos and could verify that's the way it works. Perfect image at start and the end of video.

CONCLUSION

Many times you don't know what type of flight you are going a fly. We need high bitrates for close flights and lower bitrates for distant moments. BITRATE CAN'T BE STATIC. I propose you this ideas:

1. - Try to make native AUTO bitrate works right. It seems than BlueJune got it ;)
  2. - Create your own AUTO bitrate. It means, bitrate will dynamically changes depending of RSSI signal. For example 90db -> 4 Mb/s, 70db -> 3 Mb/s, 40db -> 2 Mb/s and so on.
  3. - Let us to easily change bitrates using controller buttons, same way we can change exposure values

I hope it helps

Raul

@volate!lo,

I read carefully what you said about bitrate. I was surprised becouse I was using bitrate AUTO from months. I performed some test I want to share with you:

AUTO BITRATE REPORT

From the web When applied to Tello It means higher bitrates gives us better image resolution at the expense of less fluidity/less smoothnes/more dropped frames.

I didn't know video bitrate can be measured by software tools. This task can be achieved by free tools like BitRate Viewer or VLC Media Player. As I have recorded hundreds of videos in AUTO bitrate I performed a deep study:

I discover all of my TelloFPV AUTO bitrate videos follows same pattern. Video starts at 4 Mb/s high bitrate and continues with that value until drone moves away and signal gets worse, that moment bitrate decreases until it reaches lowest value 1 Mb/s and it will not rise to high values anymore, no matter signal increases. See this sample:

View attachment 3003

It means AUTO bitrate WORKS but it does not work well, becouse bitrate should increase at the end of flight when returning home and video link signal improves.

I continued testing. I try an old @bluejune aTelloPilot video. I was shocked discovering AUTO bitrate WORKS PERFECT.

View attachment 3004

Notice high bitrates at the start of flight, bitrate decreases as Tello moves away and bitrate increasing again at the end of flight. I reviewed this old aTelloPilot videos and could verify that's the way it works. Perfect image at start and the end of video.

CONCLUSION

Many times you don't know what type of flight you are going a fly. We need high bitrates for close flights and lower bitrates for distant moments. BITRATE CAN'T BE STATIC. I propose you this ideas:

1. - Try to make native AUTO bitrate works right. It seems than BlueJune got it ;)
  2. - Create your own AUTO bitrate. It means, bitrate will dynamically changes depending of RSSI signal. For example 90db -> 4 Mb/s, 70db -> 3 Mb/s, 40db -> 2 Mb/s and so on.
  3. - Let us to easily change bitrates using controller buttons, same way we can change exposure values

I hope it helps

Raul
Raul,

thanks for the detailed investigation.Do you happen to have a similar analysis for the stock app? Because that would indicate if aTelloPilot has really figured out to use the firmware's auto bitrate, or if it's doing its own bitrate adjustment.
I will dig into this as well in a few days, after fixing the remaining bugs, Translations, and maybe even fixing the Controller mapping.
My ideal approach would be #1, if that doesn't work I'd check out #2.

I also like #3, but thats independent of #1 and #2

Tried Today again fpv. Auto Record by Take Off dont Work on both my Phones. Switched on/off, before, after... Its Simply not Working. Do I something wrong, missed I something?

as said there is a bug with saving the setting. And it records _only_ if you are on video when taking off, no recording started if you are on photo mode.

as said there is a bug with saving the setting. And it records _only_ if you are on video when taking off, no recording started if you are on photo mode.
Naturally I was in Video Mode (as always ?).
I didnt close the App during the Test. Sa I said, switch Button on or off, no Record by take off.
So the only way is manually Start Recording.

Raul,

thanks for the detailed investigation.Do you happen to have a similar analysis for the stock app? Because that would indicate if aTelloPilot has really figured out to use the firmware's auto bitrate, or if it's doing its own bitrate adjustment.
I will dig into this as well in a few days, after fixing the remaining bugs, Translations, and maybe even fixing the Controller mapping.
My ideal approach would be #1, if that doesn't work I'd check out #2.

I also like #3, but thats independent of #1 and #2

@volate!lo,

I'm happy to help you. You are doing a great job. I hope you do not get tired

No luck with stock Tello app bitrates. It seems Tello programmers reencode video to fixed 10 Mb/s bitrate.

stock app bitrate tello.jpg

Using search forum tool I noticed It was commented by @bluejune some time ago here:

another Tello Pilot (Android App)

@volate!lo,

I'm happy to help you. You are doing a great job. I hope you do not get tired

No luck with stock Tello app bitrates. It seems Tello programmers reencode video to fixed 10 Mb/s bitrate.

View attachment 3007

Using search forum tool I noticed It was commented by @bluejune some time ago here:

another Tello Pilot (Android App)

I forgot that these Tello files are reencoded. Stupid me. To find the real bitrate i have to look into the data stream.

That one is cool maybe take off the prop guerds...

This is how it would look like:
Screenshot_20190201-211731.png

I agree a shot without prop guards would have more sex appeal.

Do you like this more?

Very nice even so ...
I am sorry but I can't use these backgrounds. They look nice but they are based on copyrighted material. At least the second one is clearly a modified Ryze Robotics photo.

Last edited:
I am sorry but I can't use these backgrounds. They look nice but they are based on copyrighted material. At least the second one is clearly a modified Ryze Robotics photo.

I understand you and you're absolutely right I'm sorry!
If you like the first one, this is a simple photo of the cello ...
Otherwise the beach is as beautiful as at the beginning.
there are no problems!;)

You mean the first one was based on a photo that you did yourself (not from someone else on the internet)?

You mean the first one was based on a photo that you did yourself (not from someone else on the internet)?

this is one of the many images all the same, that you find on the internet ... it's a standard image.
just because I found it without a background ...

really, sr there are problems we leave everything as before, for me it is the same.?

Reactions: volate!lo
this is one of the many images all the same, that you find on the internet ... it's a standard image.
just because I found it without a background ...

really, sr there are problems we leave everything as before, for me it is the same.?

OK, thanks. I can't use a photo of unknown source. I know everybody does but I'm German you know ;) ...

Finally got DU recorder working right!
For your viewing pleasure or laughter. Critiques & suggestions are welcome.
Please note!:
I believe the yaw rate issue is a fault with the Tello, not the app!
The other small bugs are known issues that Volate!lo is addressing. (note: when starting 360AP the EIS did not engage)
The video interference is caused mostly by the Bluetooth Gamesir T1d controller as shown in the video.

Reactions: Flydrone and Ansia

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wroxel