Hello Tello Pilot!
Join our DJI Tello community & remove this banner.

Problems with firmware update

Lewism3

Reaction score
Ok so I purchased a second hand Tello the other day. Flew it for a couple of times and then decided to update the firmware. Wow that was a mistake!

Now it is completely obsolete. I downloaded the firmware on my iPhone (don't have an Android before you ask) and now when trying to connect the Tello the network does not exist. I have managed to enter the loader phase (slow red flashing light) and now able to locate the network, but when I try and connect the app states that the battery is less than 50%, which it isn't.

Ryze support wants me to send it to the Netherlands at my cost and I will have to pay for it to be repaired. It's secondhand and I don't have a proof of purchase.

I think this is pretty poor considering the Ryze/DJI collaboration. Ok, it didn't cost me that much but why do I have to pay to rectify a software problem that is not my fault? It's now made me think twice about purchasing another DJI product.

If anyone has any advice it would be appreciated, otherwise does anyone want a Tello, because I can't use it?!!

considering the Ryze/DJI collaboration
What collaboration? You need at least two separate entities to collaborate.

why do I have to pay to rectify a software problem that is not my fault?
Yeah, DJI never provides you with straight information that you're updating firmware on your own risk.

If anyone has any advice it would be appreciated
Intel does not share information about Movidius chip in regard to how to reflash it. They only provide high-level tools, hoping people would accept their proprietary solution and get hooked to it.

Anyway, it probably works as every chip - you need to somehow trigger bootloader mode, and use a tool to flash the firmware binary from PC. How - ask Intel. Which tool - ask Intel.
(spoiler - they will say they're sharing "Movidius MDK" only with business partners, and the product is obsoleted anyway, so why you even want it)

Or you can give it to someone with reverse engineering skills, he's unlikely to fix it, but that may provide us with more information so at some point we might be able to do such things.

does anyone want a Tello, because I can't use it?
You should mention which country you're in.

On other note, if anyone has the MDK files, like `moviCompile`, `moviProf`, `moviEclipse`, etc. I'm pretty sure some people here would make a good use of these.

Some more info on that is on O-Gs wiki page about Myriad firmware.

Just tried google, and found a PDF with this inside:
The build process produces the final [..] .mvcmd file. The
.mvcmd file is the boot file for the application. They are interpreted by the
code which resides in the Leon ROM, and which is used usually to load and
start the code present in the .mvcmd file. The Makefile functional target
‘make flash’ executes the flasher application, which programs the SPI flash
memory with the current .mvcmd file. Only one .mvcmd file can be
loaded at a time.
So it doesn't say how the flasher tool looks like, but clearly states that it is part of MDK and is is used within Makefile script.

It also says that this programs SPI flash? SPI flash is a separate chip then. Then it's possible to desolder that chip and flash it with simple SPI programmer.

Thanks for your input but I'm astounded this has happened. Quite frankly it's a joke and pretty poor for customer relations (or future customer relations). Ryze has messed up and should take the high ground to rectify this free of charge. As for support....get an Android device! Come on, really?

I'm in the UK, service centre is in the Netherlands. I feel like cutting my losses and throwing it in the bin......

Just tried google, and found a PDF with this inside:

So it doesn't say how the flasher tool looks like, but clearly states that it is part of MDK and is is used within Makefile script.

It also says that this programs SPI flash? SPI flash is a separate chip then. Then it's possible to desolder that chip and flash it with simple SPI programmed.
Thanks mate but this would be beyond me......

I've searched a little online and found a German partner that provides software that works with Movidius chips and they have plenty tools that you can install so you can reprogram the chip, I'm not sure if this can help you but you should check it out I think. This is the link to the home page here: toem - Home

Someone already provided me with parts of the MDK. These are compiled binaries without symbols though, and I'm not willing to spend enough time to understand them. Also I don't think I'm entitled to share them further.

I looked into Phantom 3 binaries in the past, but for those, O-Gs published symbols in dji-firmware-tools repo. With symbols, as long as you used the specific firmware version, you have most functions named and various structs defined.

Someone already provided me with parts of the MDK. These are compiled binaries without symbols though, and I'm not willing to spend enough time to understand them. Also I don't think I'm entitled to share them further.

I looked into Phantom 3 binaries in the past, but for those, O-Gs published symbols in dji-firmware-tools repo. With symbols, as long as you used the specific firmware version, you have most functions named and various structs defined.
Yeah it's not something you are able to do within a couple minutes, I have years of experience in coding and in various coding languages but this looks complicated even to me and it would cost me too much time to get familiar with it and I don't see the value in that.
It's just something I found that may or may not be useful to you so I shared it.
I wish it was easier to flash the Tello when it's bricked but I guess we can't have it all.

I think my only option now is to purchase another cheap secondhand Tello and use the other one as a battery charger….assuming that works.

Thanks for taking the time to respond guys.

If you can obtain or borrow an Android phone, you should be able to tollow the procedure discussed in this previous thread to reinstall the firmware (it worked for me). You will need to download and install old version V1.1.1 of the Tello app.

Ok so I purchased a second hand Tello the other day. Flew it for a couple of times and then decided to update the firmware. Wow that was a mistake!

Now it is completely obsolete. I downloaded the firmware on my iPhone (don't have an Android before you ask) and now when trying to connect the Tello the network does not exist. I have managed to enter the loader phase (slow red flashing light) and now able to locate the network, but when I try and connect the app states that the battery is less than 50%, which it isn't.

Ryze support wants me to send it to the Netherlands at my cost and I will have to pay for it to be repaired. It's secondhand and I don't have a proof of purchase.

I think this is pretty poor considering the Ryze/DJI collaboration. Ok, it didn't cost me that much but why do I have to pay to rectify a software problem that is not my fault? It's now made me think twice about purchasing another DJI product.

If anyone has any advice it would be appreciated, otherwise does anyone want a Tello, because I can't use it?!!
hi there, i had the same problem and i found the solution on the internet from a gut from Argentina: The real problem is the app, to update the firmware you need to install the tello app v1.1.1 on android only (you can find it online) and a charge battery.
Without the battery press and hold the power buttom and conect the charger, keep holdin the power buttom and insert the battery, when the green led turn off release the power buttom. It will turn a pulsing red light, connect the tello to your device and procede to install the firmware from the app.
this work for me and i hope works for you.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Repiv