Hello Tello Pilot!
Join our DJI Tello community & remove this banner.

TelloFPV - The app for Tello FPV, Photo, Video

All this Wifi handling is a PITA.

Thats why I would recommend to get a cheap used phone as a dedicated flight controller. There are so many used phones with minor defects available on ebay for little money that we can just bring to another life. Who needs a SIM card slot to fly Tello? Or a broken home button (there's always a "home button" app to replace it)? You can also do with a broken front facing camera, but the main camera should work.

Reactions: TelloPilot2019
@volate!lo I was going to try to use an old Samsung S4 but that can only run Android 4.4 which is not compatible with Tello FPV.

@volate!lo I was going to try to use an old Samsung S4 but that can only run Android 4.4 which is not compatible with Tello FPV.
S4 is my main test bed for TelloFpv.

This is a little beyond TelloFPV but check out LineageOS. Its a custom ROM that will beam your S4 straight into 2019: The most recent stable version is Android 8.1 and I think even 9.0 is already available.

@volatello that would be great if I could use the s4 (SGH-M919). I see a download for this model on LineageOS but can you (or someone) walk me thru the process? We can take this offline if it is outside the scope of the forum or of little interes here.

I'm afraid this is out of scope for both the forum and me, I just don't have the time. The XDA developers forum is the place to go for this as this is where the development happens. It takes a while to grasp the process , but you can find tons of how-to's on the internet / Youtube. Especially for the Samsung galaxy models this is well documented.

Quick question about the auto pilots. I was trying to do the 360 degree and fly away autopilots but they both cut off. I looked in the manual and I'm guessing from what I read there that it was probably due to the VPS being confused. Either that or the wind.

Can you confirm which it likely was? It was probably 30 feet up and there's snow on the ground. Trying the fly away mode was head height over pavement.

Thanks,
Mikeg
If you were in sport mode this would explain it. It seems original flightmodes are only to be used in slow / video mode. Starting with v0.97 TelloFpv switches to slow video mode for the original flight programs.

I am trying unsuccessfully to change some of the button mapping on a PS3 controller. I may be misunderstanding how it is supposed to work. I go to mapping for the PS3 and, for example, Mode 360 defaults to D Left.( I presume this is the left button on the U/D/R/L cluster. If I touch D Right , it changes the selection to "Button" The same happens regardless of which of these 4 buttons are touched. It appears as though it cannot distinguish the directional cluster buttons.

Last edited:
I am trying unsuccessfully to change some of the button mapping on a PS3 controller. I may be misunderstanding how it is supposed to work. I go to mapping for the PS3 and, for example, Mode 360 defaults to D Left.( I presume this is the left button on the U/D/R/L cluster. If I touch D Right , it changes the selection to "Button" The same happens regardless of which of these 4 buttons are touched. It appears as though it cannot distinguish the directional cluster buttons.
If it shows just "Button" then this gamepad uses non-standard button IDs.

I will address this (and all other button / stick mapping issues) after the VR release.

If it shows just "Button" then this gamepad uses non-standard button IDs.

I will address this (and all other button / stick mapping issues) after the VR release.

@volate!lo OK, FYI this is the PS3 Sixaxis Controller. Please let me know if there is any other diag info I can provide.

No, thanks. Instead I will make this completely flexible, so that you can map any button & stick to any function or axis. That will allow any controller to work, including all those special ones.
That will allow to also use things like these for quick selfies:
IOS.jpg_640x640.jpg
Gasky-Bluetooth-Game-Handle-Mocute-Mini-VR-Controller-Remote-Pad-Gamepad-For-PC-Smart-TV-IOS.jpg_640x640.jpg

Wow - when does it come? After the VR-Update?
That's fine. :)(y)
I still have a similar controller. This I can use for the Trainer & Student Mode.
But I must see if it's possible to connect 2 controllers via BT. :unsure:

Wow - when does it come? After the VR-Update?
That's fine. :)(y)
I still have a similar controller. This I can use for the Trainer & Student Mode.
But I must see if it's possible to connect 2 controllers via BT. :unsure:

Yes: let the kids fly on their own, and just keep this controller for the "PANIC" button.

2x BT should work, at least with Flypad and t1d it does. Of course you get double the BT interference.

BTW: Anyone got comments on the stream corruption indicator?

Reactions: MrSpok
No, thanks. Instead I will make this completely flexible, so that you can map any button & stick to any function or axis. That will allow any controller to work, including all those special ones.
IOS.jpg_640x640.jpg
Gasky-Bluetooth-Game-Handle-Mocute-Mini-VR-Controller-Remote-Pad-Gamepad-For-PC-Smart-TV-IOS.jpg_640x640.jpg
That's a cute controller. What is it? Do you have a link to it?

Look here: this or this
There are many more. Choose the one you like most.
That's not exactly what volate!lo mentioned, but I think this will also work.

I would like to try my controller, but I think I have to wait for the update. If you have the patience than wait. I'll try and post it.

Look here: this or this
There are many more. Choose the one you like most.
That's not exactly what volate!lo mentioned, but I think this will also work.

I would like to try my controller, but I think I have to wait for the update. If you have the patience than wait. I'll try and post it.
Thanks. Unfortunately, I don't see these on the Amazon US site. In fact I don't see anything like either of these (or the one that @volate!lo showed). Not a big deal.

Thanks. Unfortunately, I don't see these on the Amazon US site. In fact I don't see anything like either of these (or the one that @volate!lo showed). Not a big deal.

I have this one:
https://www.amazon.com/Gaming-Contr...F8&qid=1546878426&sr=8-4&keywords=mocute+mini

It has a few strange modes for mouse control and IOS, but it also has a straight button mode that works OK as far as I can see (in the gamepad tester, not TelloFpv). I think I paid 2-3 Euro straight from china.
You can look it up "mocute mini gamepad"

This one looks interesting, too.
https://www.amazon.com/Samsung-ET-YO324BBEGUS-Gear-VR-Controller/dp/B06XHXRXP1

OK. On amazon.com are also several controllers. Simpli search for "bluetooth remote android".

By the way you will find these: One / Two / Three

Had my first sudden complete failure...Tello was 50 ft away and it just dropped to the ground from 7 ft or so. There was no warning and it functioned normally afterward. I wonder what happened.

If it just dropped its not a problem of TelloFpv. If it flew away or descended without user input thats another story, then I would need to look into this.
But dropping is in no way associated with the app (TelloFpv or any other app). Thats just not how the apps & tello communicate & work together, there is nothing I can do to cause Tello fall from the sky. For example the app does not control the motors when landing. Instead it just sends the command "land" to Tello, and Tello decends by itself in its own pace, lands, and turns off the motors.

My first idea would be a hardware failure. Dead battery or a bad connection. If it flew OK afterwards on the same battery I'd say a bad connection. Either on the battery / connector or to one motor.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Repiv