Hello Tello Pilot!
Join our DJI Tello community & remove this banner.

Android phones that work with Tello

I am using my Samsung S8+ and it works perfectly. Have used it with Official Tello app and aTelloPilot app. Also use mi repeater 2 plugged in to Phone via OTG.

Samsung S8+ works flawlessly.

Huawei mate 10 pro Android 8.0 Oreo, flies fine. All good except video record are grey and green lines... Photo is OK.
When I first got the Tello the picture was ok, after an update to the phone and the app, I now have the green and black picture noted above. Wish I knew which one was the culprit. (Note 9)

It's a good idea to check which phone works with Tello but it's becoming difficult to find if your phone is supporting or not : too many post to search ?
It would be easier to make a list in the beginning of this thread with all the supporting Android devices ...
What do you think of this ?
And also specify if using the Gamesir T1d controller.

Reactions: Cyke
For what it's worth, here are my experiences. All with Tello stock app, in interference-rich environment (office), without physical controller -- on-screen controls only:
  • Nexus 7 with PureNexus ROM, Android version 6: everything works, but live view (and of course video) skips a lot; probably the tablet has not enough horsepower, for it struggles with other apps too
  • el cheapo Alcatel Pixi tablet (model 8063), stock ROM, Android v. 6: everything works smoothly
  • (unusual setup, but maybe useful for someone) Xperia X with SailfishOS 3 and Android support layer: controls work, live view is black and white (but it works only AFTER I switch to video and record for a moment; then I can stop recording and/or switch to photos, view still works), photos are OK, videos have strange effect: colors are shifted down from corresponding object (see screenshot: the coathanger has the strange greenish color, but it's obviously misplaced; there's also a bright green bar along upper border).

Edit: I have tried Xperia/Sailfish set with aTello instead; live view works OK from start, no need to switch photo/video modes. Photos are OK, videos have some glitches and corrupted frames, probably sign of problems mentioned in readme. BUT -- colors in videos and live view are OK.

Attachments

• shot0001.png
    shot0001.png
    79.9 KB · Views: 11
Last edited:
I am using Razer Phone2, no problems so far. I have tried the official app and aTello with no issues. I have not tried setting up DualShock4 yet.

I am using my Sony Xperia model D6503 Android Version 6.0.1 with no issues.
Also using my Samsung Galaxy Tab A 2016 SMT-580 Android Version 7 without any problems.
(y)(y)(y)

Works with my T-MOBILE OnePlus 6t.
Had to turn off Mobile Data.
Response from tech support:

Upon checking your initial email, you stated that the mobile device where you have installed the app is OnePlus 6T. Unfortunately, this device is not yet included in our compatible device list and may have been causing the issue. However, let's give it a try as the following steps may resolve the connection issue.

To begin assisting you, please do the following;

1. Uninstall the app on your phone.
2. Restart your phone.
3. Reinstall the app.
4. Forget all the networks you have in your phone's wifi list.
5. Restart the phone and turn off phone's data services.
6. Turn on the drone and search the drone's wifi network.
7. If the drone's network is present, tap it to connect.

Have not yet tested just putting it in Airplane mode and then enabling WiFi and BT. Works with the Gamesir t1d controller too.

I have a note 9 and also have the green/grey lines for the video feed. Had trouble getting the firmware to update but disabling mobile data fixed that....still no video feed though.

Works with my T-MOBILE OnePlus 6t.
Had to turn off Mobile Data.
Response from tech support:

Upon checking your initial email, you stated that the mobile device where you have installed the app is OnePlus 6T. Unfortunately, this device is not yet included in our compatible device list and may have been causing the issue. However, let's give it a try as the following steps may resolve the connection issue.

To begin assisting you, please do the following;

1. Uninstall the app on your phone.
2. Restart your phone.
3. Reinstall the app.
4. Forget all the networks you have in your phone's wifi list.
5. Restart the phone and turn off phone's data services.
6. Turn on the drone and search the drone's wifi network.
7. If the drone's network is present, tap it to connect.

Have not yet tested just putting it in Airplane mode and then enabling WiFi and BT. Works with the Gamesir t1d controller too.
Also I have problems with my oneplus 6t, thanks for the procedure, but then you always have to do it again or once done you keep the settings? thank you

Samsung Galaxy 8+ flies fine. All good except photo thumbnails are grey, all but useless.
Hi
I dont have the "slide to take off" with my s8 galaxy a7 galaxy. Please your support

Attachments

• IMG-20181227-WA0059.jpeg
    IMG-20181227-WA0059.jpeg
    429.3 KB · Views: 6
I am using a Nexus 7 2013 edition tablet 6.0 with Mi WiFi 2 repeater. It seems to fly very well. I have also updated the latest firmware.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Repiv