Hello Tello Pilot!
Join our DJI Tello community & remove this banner.

Mi Repeater 2 moded

As we say 'down South' - yeeeeeehaaaaa!
That brings me to a quick question: Are there any legal restrictions on flying Tello in the US or is it considered a toy? Like a registration with authorities or label on the drone? Is it legal in national parks? I know real drones are not but a tiny selfie drone?

I just booked the first part of our summer vacation puzzle: The US it is this year and at least one Tello will join.

Are there any legal restrictions on flying Tello in the US or is it considered a toy?

Anything that flies (outside) in the US National Airspace System (NAS) is required to follow FAA regs. This includes flying a toy drone in the back yard... the NAS covers the entire US and extends all the way to the ground.

Indoor flights are not regulated.

Outdoor hobby flights are subject to FAR Section 336. THIS PAGE has relevant info and links.

Like a registration with authorities or label on the drone?

Any sUAS that weighs less than 250g doesn't have to be registered and, as far as I know, does not have to be labelled. I put my name and phone# on mine in case of a flyaway and someone finds it.

Is it legal in national parks? I know real drones are not but a tiny selfie drone?

I fly only locally for hobby/recreational purposes, and also have never contemplated flying over national parks or national forests, etc. so haven't studied up on the relevant regs.

National parks- THIS PAGE I found may interest you.

National forests- not sure... but I ~think~ you can -- with permission on a case-by-case basis.

Please don't take only my word, I'm no expert.

Good luck, hope you have much fun on your vacation.

Reactions: Ansia and volate!lo
Thank you! Scanning through these pages leads to the point that US authorities are just like the German ones. I can understand the national park point of view, at least in those areas that are full of visitors I'd never fly a drone and I personally don't enjoy anyone's drone buzzing over my head.
I will just follow common sense and don't do stupid things that could put anyone at risk, so should be safe. And if cops show up I will just hand the controls to my kids and walk away whistling :whistle:

Reactions: xcrost and Ansia
Thank you! Scanning through these pages leads to the point that US authorities are just like the German ones. I can understand the national park point of view, at least in those areas that are full of visitors I'd never fly a drone and I personally don't enjoy anyone's drone buzzing over my head.
I will just follow common sense and don't do stupid things that could put anyone at risk, so should be safe. And if cops show up I will just hand the controls to my kids and walk away whistling :whistle:
Although the rules are there, I would find hard to believe a cop will show up and cuff you, just because you were taking selfies with your Tello. At least, I haven't seen the insides of a jail and I fly almost anywhere, as long as there isn't anyone to annoy nearby. I hate spectators.

Version 2 of the moxon antennas is done.
20190111_153408.jpg20190111_153302.jpg20190111_153221.jpg
I've switched to 0.2mm^2 wire because I read that 1mm^2 wire would be to thick for 2.4 GHz.
You can find the .stl for the antennaholer on thingiverse:
2.4 GHz Moxon antenna by Stele

I've measured the signal with an Wi-Fi analyser app and it's way stronger than the tello's (not that hard ^^) and directional as you would expect from a moxon.

I'll do a range test as soon as possible but atm. I have rain and heavy winds all the time.
Next week a college of mine will get his repeater. We'll do a shootout between stock and modded.

I'll keep you updated.

cant wait for the results between a stock and modded repeater. My only question is is the MI repeater 2 worth getting? I have it and another repeater with adjustable dipole antennas but it looks like many companies are selling it, but may work great. need to order soon, i need a firm yes or no, ive over researched this subject and feel like im drowning now, please help

Reactions: shambhu
cant wait for the results between a stock and modded repeater. My only question is is the MI repeater 2 worth getting? I have it and another repeater with adjustable dipole antennas but it looks like many companies are selling it, but may work great. need to order soon, i need a firm yes or no, ive over researched this subject and feel like im drowning now, please help
Yes it is! Its the simples cheapest thing I have seen to get reliable video and acceptable range. There may be better ones, but then you really need to dig into the details.

I bought mine here for 4.49 including S&H back in November:
Xiaomi Mi 300Mbps WiFi Amplifier 2 Wireless Network Repeater

My only complain is their MiHome app. Its junk, it requires registration, it requires all kinds of permissions, it calls home, it tries to read files it should not, ... Its among the worst apps I have ever seen.

Yes it is! Its the simples cheapest thing I have seen to get reliable video and acceptable range. There may be better ones, but then you really need to dig into the details.

I bought mine here for 4.49 including S&H back in November:
Xiaomi Mi 300Mbps WiFi Amplifier 2 Wireless Network Repeater

My only complain is their MiHome app. Its junk, it requires registration, it requires all kinds of permissions, it calls home, it tries to read files it should not, ... Its among the worst apps I have ever seen.
I once the app was configured with tello, I deactivated it from the phone. and everything works perfectly. some say that even if deleted, everything remains configured without keeping the app.

Reactions: Stele
I once the app was configured with tello, I deactivated it from the phone. and everything works perfectly. some say that even if deleted, everything remains configured without keeping the app.
Same, i´ve deleted it. even after soldering on the board it was still configured. So I´ve managed to short nothing importand out wit my clumsy hands^^

Reactions: Flydrone
Same here. I downloaded it, made a hoax account, configured and deleted it. To me is mind bobbling on why apps need access to contacts, phone, or messages when they arent designed to use any of those things.

Reactions: Flydrone
Same here. I downloaded it, made a hoax account, configured and deleted it. To me is mind bobbling on why apps need access to contacts, phone, or messages when they arent designed to use any of those things.
The moment you install app with these permissions all bets are off. You don't have to open it and you can delete it but all your contacts, messages, emails, etc are already on a server in china. They call it "synchronized" ...
I use my flight control smartphone for these things.

The moment you install app with these permissions all bets are off. You don't have to open it and you can delete it but all your contacts, messages, emails, etc are already on a server in china. They call it "synchronized" ...
I use my flight control smartphone for these things.
You can just deny the permissions.

This evening I got a small window to fly outdoors. It was still quite windy but manageable.
My setup:
- Tello (stock with no prop guards)
- Xiaomi mi repeater 2 with two moxon antennas (look above for detail)
- Samsung Galaxy S8 with TelloFPV

I´ve got about 160m out of my setup, before I´ve decided to fly back because of the wind. I didn´t want to fly over streets an near treas.
next time i´m hopefully able to go further.
20190114_162056.jpg

Here is the clip of the flight to give you an idea of the videolink, it was solid until I´ve played with the antennas.

This evening I got a small window to fly outdoors. It was still quite windy but manageable.
My setup:

I´ve got about 160m out of my setup, before I´ve decided to fly back because of the wind. I didn´t want to fly over streets an near treas.
View attachment 2703

Here is the clip of the flight to give you an idea of the videolink, it was solid until I´ve played with the antennas.

May I ask what video settings you used in TelloFPV during this test? Thanks!

My setup:

View attachment 2703

You forgot to put the song, so I added it here.

Reactions: xcrost

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Repiv